Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Wishing for some knitting mojo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3461 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  7:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the last couple of weeks I have been looking at patterns and books and have projects on the needles but I need some knitting mojo.

If you are "stuck" with your knitting, what do you do?
Do you try out new techniques that stretch your knowledge? swatch a new yarn? discover a new designer? go to a knitting circle to get some positive vibes?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  06:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might not like my answer...but what I do is stop trying. Just for a little while. There are times when I realize that I'm forcing it, so that's when I make myself step back a little and take care of other life stuff that's getting in the way (usually a project at work or at home that's nagging at me). After a few days, or a couple of weeks, even, I can turn to my knitting with fresh eyes—the old unfinished projects don't seem boring, that new yarn would make a nice hat, my Ravelry queue doesn't look so stale, etc. I knit because I love the process and the creativity, but I also need to knit to balance my life.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  06:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Minh, sometimes knitting mojo can be elusive, sometimes I have knitting mojo ADD.

Knitting groups are fabulous to get the juices flowing - currently I don't have one that is close enough to get to on a regular basis & while I have spoken of starting one, that has not happened yet. Sometimes I find that doing a project that takes little brainpower is a good starting point. In other words, if I don't have to do much thinking & can get into the groove, my knitting mojo jump starts & then I am OK.

Look forward to hearing from other folks on this cool topic.

Thanks, Minh.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other things I do:
(1) pick up Barbara Walker and some scrap yarn, and randomly swatch, or
(2) organize my stash/patterns/needles.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  06:50:28 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sort of in the Jane camp on this one. I'll stop and read a book or watch comfort TV(murder or sci fi). There is also going down to the LYS and looking at the new yarns.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  07:05:06 AM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the Jane camp too. If I try to force tings on myself, it gets worse. I just go with the flow and the mojo comes back.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I set aside but keep in front of me so if I do get the urge it is right there to pick up. In fact right now there are 4 in front and I work 2-4 rows on ea every day or night. I find working on more than one at a time keeps my interest in all.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

297 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  08:12:21 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have learned that stress zaps my knitting mojo, so I recognize that something is interfering in my ability to concentrate and relax.

What brought my mojo back recently was an email from a LYS promoting a sale. I (truly) pushed myself to go and it did the trick. I had fun with string that afternoon, and my knitting mojo returned.

Nanci

Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  09:03:01 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm another one in the "Jane" camp. Sometimes the mojo is gone and sometimes my hand problems cause me to stop. Either way, I read and do other things. Then it comes back. Not being able to knit when I want to, due to hand issues, is so frustrating that I learned not to push things. Reading a knitting magazine, especially the ads for new yarns, is helpful for mojo, but I don't do that when I can't knit anyway. Hope you find yours soon.
Go to Top of Page

mjhealy
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send mjhealy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happens to me too. Agree with Jane. Can be like chasing a ghost. Best to let it come back on its own terms.

Knitting for others is always, always rewarding to me. Perhaps I try too hard with my own projects looking for perfect pattern and yarn.

How about a hat (roll brimmed for next KRR) or a simple baby sweater?

Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  1:54:50 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Zola. I am always working on multiple projects anyway. So I organize them on a shelf and work a bit on each every day. I lose my mojo when 1 project needs to get done for a deadline and I have to devote all my time to it. But it's usually not gone for long because the rest are waiting in the queue. Stress is not a factor for me because my knitting is a stress reliever. Great topic!
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  7:59:34 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Minh, hard as it is to imagine you without knitting mojo, it is real when it comes by, and is puzzling.
Anyway, there is so much good advice here that my two cents is not really worth it. But I agree with Jane and others that letting go of anxiety about losing your mojo is good.
Are you reading any good books, or watching any good TV? Please keep posting.
We will miss you if you don't post!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Of the Hunt
Warming Up

India
88 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  9:26:23 PM  Show Profile Send Of the Hunt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Minh! I agree with so much of what has been said--but my own 2 cents worth are two other ideas:

I love to help other people learn to knit (or knit through problems at new levels) so I find it a big help to COMPLETELY put my projects and yarns and needles out of sight. Then I can focus on what they are doing. It's very cleansing!! So when I am feeling about my mojo I can make that disappear. Poof. Sometimes for weeks.

Second, I dig up books on other textile techniques. Books on antique weaving. Or Asian textile traditions. I live in India, so books on sari weaving abound. Before you know it I have sticky notes all over the pages that have eye candy i want to reproduce in knitting. New construction ideas or new (to me) color ideas. Then I pull out my stash to see if I have the ingredients or if I need (joy!) to go shopping.

No worries. You OWN your mojo. It doesn't own you!

Good Luck,
Diana

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  12:53:13 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I have never worried about it. Sometimes I don't feel like knitting so I don't. I might sew, garden, visit friends, have friends visit, read, do housework (that brings back the everything mojo)
Knitting is relaxation. I find the main time the enthusiasm leaves is when there is a difficulty with what I am knitting. Solving the problem often brings back the interest.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

knititblack
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  01:21:46 AM  Show Profile Send knititblack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This happened to me this week too. I'm in a knitting funk. To get out of it, I try to find an instant-gratification project - something cute and fun that I can finish in an evening or two. I paticularly recommend silly things that will make you smile, like little toys (check out Mochimochiland for awesome patterns) or jewelry. I just found a beaded bracelet pattern - MaryElla from Knitty - that I will be starting tomorrow. :) I can't wait to go pick out my beads and yarn! The funk is gone!
Go to Top of Page

dodiemarts
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  02:54:19 AM  Show Profile Send dodiemarts a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely try teaching a non-knitting friend, co-worker, neighbor to knit. I've also found that taking a little break and reading a good book works - soon enough you're missing your knitting and can't wait to get back at it! Best wishes.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  03:32:02 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear! I lost my knitting mojo this past summer. It was my longest knitting dry spell ever. I agree with Jane -put it aside and do other things! I liked what Diana (Of The Hill) said -you own your mojo it does not own you. Smart gals!

That said, I sort and organize my knitting "stuff" and put it away. If I still do not feel like knitting I read, bake and clean out a drawer or closet. Anything but knitting actually!

The mojo did come back when I took my mother into NYC for a full day of doctor's appointments. She had been seriously ill about 10 years ago and this was major all day tests and follow-ups.

I brought a small amount of yarn, needles and a crochet hook. While I waited I made one of Teresa Fox's Little Hearts (Kleine Herzen) and stuck it in the pocket of her jacket for her to find. She was thrilled with it and I kept making these hearts for a few weeks at least. I also crocheted some hearts too-cannot remember what pattern I used.

Eventually I felt like knitting. Just go with it-it will come back I promise!
Go to Top of Page

kim.degener@gmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  04:34:31 AM  Show Profile Send kim.degener@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I start getting knitting burnout, I rest my knitting brain by taking a break with a different craft. I always have a cross stitch project going and taking some time with that lets me come back to my knitting refreshed.
Go to Top of Page

Liz F
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  04:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Liz F's Homepage Send Liz F a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Minh! So much wisdom here, and my first suggestion mirrors Jane's - step away from the knitting. It's like finding an accounting error where the harder you look, the more difficult it is to find.

On the flipside, knitting has been a godsend for me during the most stressful points of my life. I pick something that requires my full concentration (usually lace) and FOCUS on it. The end result is that I have completed something pretty, and have worked through the stress at the same time. (Susanna IC has some lovely designs that work up quickly - just saying!)

Things will click into place when the time is right.

Best,
Liz

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  05:35:14 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, you have my sympathies. Although I'm knitting frantically at the moment, I lost my reading mojo months back. Too many thing has been buzzing around in my head and life the last year, and I have blamed the unrest around me on the loss of being able to enjoy both reading and knitting. I belong to both a knitting group and a reading group, and the knitting group gives me far more at this point, but it did not use to be this way. Maybe it has something to do with aging? Can't be the time of the year (Spring fever) since for me this condition has lasted over several seasons. I really miss being able to sit down and churn through a book.

I hope that your knitting and my reading mojo returns soon. Meanwhile, how about trying out stranded knitting?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Ann2Knit
Warming Up

50 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  05:35:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ann2Knit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This happened to me recently. My stash was a mess so instead of trying to knit I organized it and discovered enough yarn for several new projects. But, part of the problem was that I had too many WIP. I frogged a couple of them that had been sitting so long that I didn't know where I was in the pattern. I bagged and labeled them and put them in the newly organized stash. As a result of seeing what and how much yarn I had I began to want to knit. First new project using my stash: an open short-sleeve cardigan sweater (Jane by Georgie Hallam) for my granddaughter. I had originally purchased enough yarn for a baby sweater, but sweet baby grew faster than my knitting, so this pattern that uses less yarn than a fuller cardigan was just right.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?