Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Bulky or Chunky Machines
 How do i cast off with my chunky knitting machine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My DH and I bought a refurbished Singer Chunky knitting machine model number 155, with the punch card, and it is great, however, I do not know how to cast off using this machine. Can anyone help me? I have not had a knitting machine before, and never did know how to cast off, but am wondering if there is a particular way to do it, using the machine. We were given a booklet after the lesson, but it does not explain it very well.

Also, right now the Singer Chunky knitting machine is on my computer desk, but the desk is not sturdy enough for it, so am wondering where anyone in Toronto, Ontario,Canada can buy a knitting machine table for it. I could buy one for over $175.00, but I think that is a bit too much. I would appreciate knowing if the actual table is worth it, or where I can look around. There is one on ebay, but is far away from us. I think we would spend the same amount in time and gas going there. Any ideas? What do you use?

Thank you so much,

lavatera

lavatera

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  12:18:25 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34060285/SINGER-MOD-155-CHUNKY-PUNCH-CARD-KNITTING-MACHINE-Instruction-Book

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will look on page 21. I hope the manual we were given goes that far. It does look similar.

Thanks again,

lavatera

lavatera
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your purchase.

Basically, you can use any sturdy table. I bought a table similar to the ones you would find at a church social or gathering where they use fold-up tables for groups. The kind that have the fold up legs. It took me awhile to find one that had the "old fashioned" sturdy top, not plastic. I found mine at Staples and with 6% tax it was 63.59. I had to ask one of the salesmen if they had what I was looking for. They had them at the back of the store, still in boxes. (Info on box: SKU# 395526, FFT 2448 F, Walnut) It measures 2' x 4', has sturdy legs and the way the legs come down I am able to put a board across the bottom for a 10" x 4' shelf. The shelf is not in the way of my legs and feet. The extra space on the table top, behind the machine, on the left side is where I put a tray with my tools and another holder that has my instruction manuel, punch cards, etc. and my scale. Then still more room, on the right side, for my radio and ribber or main carriage arm. Yes, there is still lots of room in the center for my yarn in use. Don't ask what I did with the $100.00 I saved, you already know!

For clarification, I had a knitting machine, with all the bells and whistles, over 30 years ago. I did have the knitting machine stand with it. What I have now, instead of the km stand, is much more convenient and just as stable.

As to binding off, here is a great site that helps with all sorts of machine knitting information. It is:
http://www.machineknitting101.blogspot.com/ Her main page is: http://needlesofsteel.blogspot.com/

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lavatera
New Pal

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  1:25:52 PM  Show Profile Send lavatera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much,

lavatera

lavatera
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by