Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 How did you find this forum?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  06:15:00 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It occurred to me that it could be interesting to hear how people found this forum. I have been a member for nearly 8 years. I found it one day when I googled for Panda wool. I wanted to know something about it - can't remember what - and I came across someone's entry in the "Never again" section. They said it was dreadful and they would never use it again. I can't remember why or who but I started looking at the forum and soon joined it. I have enjoyed it ever since.

I knit a hug into every stitch

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  06:55:06 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to knit as a kid with a friend grandmother. I stop when she move it didn't seem fun. When a co-worker wanted to knit she found this site and sent it to me. By the way she never caught on and gave up. I think it was she could never sit still long enough. Donna

I think my first post was answered by Fran. I was trying to put a heel on some socks and she told me how. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my. It will be 10 years on the 22nd of this month. I have no idea how I got here, originally, but I'm sure glad I did.

I do remember that another site, I don't remember which one, really discouraged me. There were some gals that got just a bit to snarky for my taste. It seemed that every time someone would try to help, by replying to a question, one of the gals would jump in and criticize the answer. That is when I started inserting "in my humble opinion" into my answers. That got old, fast. So I left that site, never looking back.

Thank heavens for Clara. This is a wonderful site with fantastic caring people.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  12:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked my profile, which says I've been a member since March 25, 2002. Ten years! I found KR in a most unusual way. My husband was working at a small company that merged with another. At a joint meeting of the two groups, he discovered that a new coworker of his was also a neighbor. A few weeks later she and her partner came over to check out our home-made storm windows on our old house (they were also fixing up their old house). I had to move some boxes of stash out of the way for them to see the particular feature Mr Luann wanted to show off. "Oh, are you a knitter?" says she. "Yes, I'm a big knitter," I reply, "are you?" "No, but Eric's sister is really into it. You should tell her about Clara's thing," she says to Eric. "My sister has a knitting thing on the internet," says he. "A blog?" I ask. "Kind of," says he. "It's called Knitter's Review and it's really great!" says she, throwing an elbow.

I subscribed to the newsletter that evening. It was a few months before I got the courage up to check the forums, because I'd had a bad experience on another board, but I soon discovered that KR was a whole different corner of the internet. I've also had the distinct pleasure of getting to know the Parkes family. You will not be surprised to learn that like Clara, they are a hospitable, friendly, and talented bunch - with a wicked sense of humor.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  2:14:16 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, had to check my profile to see how long I've been here: 6 years this August. Because of a discussion at my quilt group, I was trying to find out how to pronounce Kaffe Fassett's name. A Google search led me to the answer in a thread here, where I read all the other posts in that thread, signed up, and added a post of my own.

I've been to other forums, and got out when discussions turned...well, maybe not "nasty", but definitely "snarky". (Though it occasionally happens here, a moderator always steps in.) I'm not on the computer every day, but never does a week go by without a stop (or two or three) here. I've definitely learned a lot, and have been guided towards many purchases that I never would have made on my own. (Thank you, all you enablers!!)

Jan
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  5:28:52 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My boyfriend worked with Clara P. and remembers when she left SF for Maine to start Knitter's Review. They'd visit here and there over the years, and when I started knitting last year he told me to check out the site. At first I was intimidated by all the knowledge here, but then I got hooked on reading all the old newsletters and surreptitiously lurking on the forums until one day I just couldn't keep my yap shut...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
820 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  5:57:51 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard about KR when I picked up my knitting needles again sometime post- 9/11. A co-worker had gone to the first or second retreat back when it was in VA and referred me to the site. I know she still knits, not sure if she's still on KR, but if she is: 'Hi NG!'
I remember the help I was offered when I was finally brave enough to post a question, it is still terrific!
Evelyn

Bike, Knit, Bike!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  05:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined in October of 2002, and I think I found KR in a google search about a yarn I'd bought at Rhinebeck. I poked around in the newsletters and felt like I'd just uncovered the answer to the Meaning of Life (yes, I know it's 42, but it could be yarn, too, right?). Then I discovered the forum and a whole world of kindred spirits, and, and... I love this place. I am a better knitter because of Clara and Knitter's Review and because of the KRF and its generous, wise, and skilled members.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  3:04:14 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I have no idea. I must have been surfing the web. It took me awhile to "get the hang of it", but once I did, I've never looked back.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1858 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  3:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavens, you know, I just don't remember how I found KR! But I like coming here to ask and answer questions because everyone is so polite. It's easy for threads to degenerate over at Ravelry, without getting a good answer to a question. You folks are great when it comes to answers, and so even when I don't have a question, I come over here to see if there is one that I can answer. And that happened today!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
94 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  8:20:09 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not been a KRF member for long, but I'm so glad I am. I was reading some notes on Cat Bordhi's website, and she mentioned KR. I checked it out and registered to join the forum that night. Everyone was so welcoming and there is a positive energy that comes across with so many of the topics. I enjoy traveling with everyone to retreats and fiber events without ever leaving my home. And sharing my projects with other knitters is always fun.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  4:13:44 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just checked my profile and I see that I have been a member since July 2003,but I honestly cannot remember exactly how I found this forum.

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  09:36:15 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to check,too. I've been a member since 7/2005. Don't remember how I found it, but I had just taken up knitting again after learning basic knitting as a child. KR remains my favorite knitting forum. I have learned so much from so many generous people, including the fabulous Fran.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all because of Mmario, also known around here as "The Demon Enabler." He got me back into knitting after a looooong hiatus, then pointed me in the direction of KR and its forums.

Listening to that boy gets me into the most amazing situations...

AuntyNin

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me - July 2003. That would put me between jobs, with kids at home, and having recently rediscovered knitting. I do remember I was trying to find some information about some technique or other, and google brought me to KR. There have been so many changes, both within my family and on the internet (hello Ravelry and smart phones), but KR is still my go-to place for advice on yarn and technique. Thank you Clara and the KR extended family!

Great question, by the way.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, it's been years and years since I have posted here but joined in 2003.

The amazing thing is that our local (Melbourne, Australia) knitting group developed from a collection of ladies that met on this site ... and we still meet monthly to this day.
How did I find it - come on it's been 9 years !! I can't remember - probably google (did that exist 9 years ago ???)

Diana

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2211 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  06:11:16 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2003 I was getting back into knitting; havibng FINALLY figured out how to purl - it only took 40 some odd years to graduate from garter stitch...found KR through google, joined and stayed...my profile says I've averaged almost 7/10ths of a post a day since then...

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

terryknits2
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  06:29:36 AM  Show Profile Send terryknits2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered KR and the Forum in mid 2006 when my son graduated college and took a job in Silicon Valley. I searched the web for reviews of yarn shops in the San Francisco area that I could check out when I came out to visit him and came across a wonderful review from Clara which led me back to this site and such and such. And I must say, it was perfect timing for my life.
Go to Top of Page

rchapin8391@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  07:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit rchapin8391@yahoo.com's Homepage  Send rchapin8391@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send rchapin8391@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered Knitter's Review and the Forum a number of years ago when Clara bought a Corriedale fleece from us at the Wool Festival at Taos. She gave us a business card and it went from there. Have enjoyed the KR and her books (have them all).

Sharry in New Mexico
Go to Top of Page

taconsolo
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  07:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit taconsolo's Homepage Send taconsolo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morning ladies. I just checked my profile and I've been a member since 2005. Probably joined after reading about Knitter's Review on Knitty dot com. Both wonderful sites that I return to consistantly when I need help!

I knit so I don't kill people!
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:42:24 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the 25th of March, it will be 10 years since I discovered this incredible opportunity to connect with women (and men) of like mind. I was googling for knitters in my area, which was not as prevalent 10 years ago as it is now. I have always loved that feeling when you enter a yarn store, that you are among people who 'get' you.
I stumbled across this site and have followed it faithfully ever since. I can read and knit at the same time, but not type and knit. That's why I have so few posts for someone who has been on the site for so long. But I read almost everything posted, and my family can't believe I don't have more to post myself. It seems I can TALK and knit quite well!!

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.