Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Purl equivalent to SSK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  07:00:50 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In knitting, the SSK mirrors the K2tog. What about when you're purling? I'm doing mirrored decreases where the pattern says to purl 2 together through the back loops. Not only is this awkward, but I don't think it looks very nice. I gave up and just did P2tog on both sides of the decreases, but that doesn't look nice either.

Any ideas??

Jan

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  07:29:06 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jan, my Cecchetti pattern uses a ssp: slip two stitches individually knitwise, slip back onto left needle, and knit through back loops. Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTCoak_KNDY in case you need it.

Does that help? Or is that what you're already doing?"

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YOu can also slip one (wyif) purl 1, pass slipped stitch over

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robinsteph - thanks for the video, It still has that awkward "purl 2 together through the back loops", but if the end result looks good, it will be worth it. I must knit tighter than the lady in the video, because it is NEVER that easy to slip my needle in that way!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that through-the-back thing is what made me think it might already be what you were referring to, but I'm glad it's something new, albeit still awkward. Let us know if it works!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  04:13:50 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But why not just try what Mmario suggests?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  06:14:39 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used ssp when the pattern requires decreases on the wrong side of the work. Although awkward, it has the correct effect on the right side of the work.

I very much like the thought of slipping and pulling the slipped purl stitch over for the right side! thanks!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  06:22:16 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is what I finally ended up with, too. I tried each way suggested and didn't think it would look right to pass the stitch over. Turns out, it looked the best of them all - the stitches didn't get distorted as they seemed to every time I tried the "through the back loops" thing. I made a note on my pattern to do the decrease as "slip 1 wyif, purl, psso".

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Tuppence
Chatty Knitter

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  06:33:43 AM  Show Profile Send Tuppence a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another option, which is easier for me:

Carefully drop both stitches off the left needle, cross them over (right stitch in front of left), and put them back on the left needle. Make sure both stitches are oriented "normally" (right leg in front). Then you can do a normal P2tog without getting the stitches twisted.

This is actually easier to do than to explain.

Hope this helps....

- Marie
Go to Top of Page

weavingway
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  07:10:37 AM  Show Profile Send weavingway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this forum. I am working on a scarf pattern I love but put it down because of the pearl tbl thing, it just kept the rythmn wrong and sometimes I dropped a stitch in trying to get both of those to purl from the back. I knit tight and it was taking so much time. I am going to try MMario's technique
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the rule holds that all decrease stitches are slipped knitwise? P2tbl makes my body twist strangely when I have to use it. I'll be glad to have a substitute.
Go to Top of Page

ellenmc
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  5:44:55 PM  Show Profile Send ellenmc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why I love the forums( ? foramina) I have not needed to decrease on the purl side for years- not since every decrease was k2tog. But quite often when decreasing on every alternate row, (always on the knit side), I have wondered-what about the purl side. Thanks for this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe