Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Favorite Knitting Stitch?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  1:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am perfectly capable of many different stitches, and indeed I've knit several projects employing all sorts of stitches and techniques. However, my favorite is STILL plain ol' garter stitch! Whenever I KIP, I find I defend myself -- saying things like, "I can do more complicated things than this!" I don't know what it is about garter stitch...I just love the soft, plush, squishiness of it. It makes for such comfy blankets and scarves.

What is your favorite stitch to knit, and why?

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  1:55:20 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a stitch exactly, but I love to do cables. They look so complicated, but are so easy! I feel like a genius when I do them.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  2:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true...and people are always so impressed with them!

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  12:15:44 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been knitting long so don't have a large repertoire, but honestly, so far, I really like stockinette. It's just really relaxing. Ask me this question in another two or three years, though, okay? So I have time to amass some data!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  1:18:05 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Susan14 23. I hadn't been knitting that long when a neighbor convinced me I could do cables - I was SO suprised at how easy they are - and eveyone thinks you are an expert!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  10:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a favorite stitch, I just love all types of knitting. If I'm knitting I'm happy!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  04:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, I have to know what KIP means. All I can come up with is "knit in peace," but that has a morose connotation. Am I close? What does the acronym mean? Next, circular needles (Thank you to the primate who came up with this innovation!)allow me to knit (without ever having to purl) and still achieve the lovely, smooth little "v"s of the stockinette stitch!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  05:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deborah, KIP = Knit in Public.

Clara asked a version of this question at the Retreat If a doctor told you that you could knit just one stitch for the rest of your life, what would it be and there were almost as many answers as there were knitters. Since I like to purl as well as knit, I chose Hedgerow stitch (mostly because Lanea had the idea, and her reasoning was perfect!). It's a soothing (to me) combination of knits and purls, it's versatile, and I know it by heart (after much knitting of Hedgerow socks, mitts, hats, and scarves).

I'd hate to give up lace stitches, plain garter, or ribbing, though thank goodness I don't really have to!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  06:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember Clara's question, and I was the only one in the room who thought about it in an odd way. I thought, "If i could only knit one stitch for the rest of my life, I would want it to be a very SLOW stitch!" I took her quite literally and thought I was only allowed to knit one more, single stitch.

Knit in public...of course!
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cables!! Simple, complex, it doesnt matter.
judy
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  01:22:37 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simple lace, such as feather-and-fan, or some sort of chevron.
Go to Top of Page

njzube@aol.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  04:40:18 AM  Show Profile Send njzube@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blackberry or Trinity stitch.....it looks to pretty. I love the stockinette stitch for peaceful knitting. KIP...always...the best way to meet new friends! Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  05:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll join the crowd - cables for me! They make it look like you've discovered the secrets of the universe :-) (If they really knew how easy they really are!)

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

193 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  05:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure whether Pam meant what stitch do we prefer to KNIT or prefer the results. My favorite thing to do now is freeform lace - simply because it's so random and allows you to use just about every technique possible - without really thinking about it. The results are also random, interesting, and when you KIP, it's sure to get lots of questions and attention! Yes, and it's a way to make new friends!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

Kathi
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  06:40:50 AM  Show Profile Send Kathi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love any type of knitting - I guess we all do. But I'm with Pam, plain ol' garter stitch. Just relax and knit, don't think. Because I knit both Portugese and English style, I do my garter stitch by purling Portugese style. I like the satisfying little "twang" that comes from tensioning your yarn around the pin.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  07:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like practically anything EXCEPT garter stitch! I'll get out of my way to avoid it - to the point of re-writing garter stitch projects (like the famous Danish tie-shawl). A favourite all-purpose, flat-lying stitch is "offset broken rib": 1 row k, 1 row k, p, 1 row k, 1 row p, k.

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  07:54:39 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moss or seed stitch is my favorite, both to look at and to knit. Yeah, I know; I'm nuts.

Deborah: Knit In Peace is morose? Hardly. I get what you're saying - it's like 'rest in peace', but who even says that, these days! Knit In Peace is exactly what I long for.

Tomorrow, I will accompany DH to the Woodworkers Show where he will happily drool over tools and I'll spend the day sitting at a table, knitting without any guilt whatsoever. Tomorrow, I KIP, no matter how you look at it! Yippee!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also like a lot of different stitch patterns, but one of my favorites is K2, P2 ribbing. Guess I've done more than my share of it, because whenever instructions call for a different type of ribbing, I REALLY must pay attention or before I know it, I'm making the 2x2 rib by default!

I also love garter stitch, as boring as it can be. It's sort of the macaroni-and-cheese comfort stitch for me.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

mixedupbrd
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  10:08:54 AM  Show Profile Send mixedupbrd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My absolute favorite stitch is Linen Stitch. It is the only stitch I can stand to use for variegated yarns because the colors get mixed around so nicely. The reverse side produces a lovely firm seed stitch fabric and works perfectly for edgings because it doesn't curl. I have made shawls and scarves with this stitch for years. The needles move in the same way as 1/1 ribbing...K1, sl1 wyif on the front, P1 sl1 wyib for the back. I have to move up two needle sizes to match the gauge to my stockinette stitch. The first few rows look weird, but it soon evens out. (Barbara Walker calls it "Fabric Stitch...Treasury #1 page 99-100.)
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  10:53:55 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much to choose from, and for so many reasons, but my favourite has to be lace. Simple or complicated, it has the best yarn to fun ratio I know of. I haven't yet tackled any cobweb "wedding ring" shawls, or art knitting doilys, but decreases and yarnovers are my favourite stitch.
Go to Top of Page

Is_dfaith
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  6:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Is_dfaith a Yahoo! Message Send Is_dfaith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite stitch or stitches are the Brioche Stitch and most Lace patterns such as Feather and Fan.

The Feather and Fan looks really pretty and the Brioche stitch knit for a scarf is reversible and soft.

Donna M. Faith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.