Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting As A Form Of Therapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

audlorenns
New Pal

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile Send audlorenns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found knitting to be very therapeutic. I love making projects for others such as afghans, pillows, scarves, touques and mittens. Trying new and challenging patterns keeps me on my toes.

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  05:06:18 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Audlorenns, I have living proof that knitting can be therapeutic. I had high blood pressure and knitting has help bring it down. I think this the best stress reliever. Donna
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  7:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree! When the weather is nice I will sit outside in the parking lot at work to knit. Nobody bothers me and I am very relaxed. Only problem is that I don't want to go back.
Go to Top of Page

Susan LaMontagne
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  04:09:09 AM  Show Profile Send Susan LaMontagne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting is a great therapy. When I broke my arm/wrist 3 years ago, knitting helped me re-gain the dexterity I'd lost in my fingers. I knit every day and I know it keeps me relaxed. Whenever I'm stressed, I pick up a project to focus on.
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile Send Sunflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with these posts; knitting has helped me calm down from work in the medical field.
Go to Top of Page

Dampal2000
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile Send Dampal2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks ago I came home on a Friday after a HORRIFIC day at work, that ended in office-wide panic due to the sudden defection of 5 top employees to a competitor. Everyone was just flipping out. The stress was terrible! I felt like getting drunk, only ... oh yeah!! I DON'T DRINK!!! So, I decided to immerse myself in a new knitting challenge, and spent the next 8 hours - until well into the wee hours of the next morning - researching the process and learning how to knit socks from the Toe-Up, practicing my JMCO skills, and gathering various sock patterns. The process completely absorbed me, diverting my mind and energy from re-running the days events and "What if ..." scenarios. If that's not therapeutic - sanity saving, in fact - I don't know what is!!!
Go to Top of Page

knithappy
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  08:45:03 AM  Show Profile Send knithappy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last spring I had shoulder surgery and I was unable to move my right arm for 6 weeks. I could move my hand, though, and was able to knit. I finished a sweater for myself, a baby sweater, and two scarves for Christmas gifts. My physical therapist couldn't believe how quickly I recovered complete use of my arm, and has new respect for knitting as PT.
Go to Top of Page

Dampal2000
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  09:13:46 AM  Show Profile Send Dampal2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of weeks ago I came home on a Friday after a HORRIFIC day at work, that ended in office-wide panic due to the sudden defection of 5 top employees to a competitor. Everyone was just flipping out. The stress was terrible! I felt like getting drunk, only ... oh yeah!! I DON'T DRINK!!! So, I decided to immerse myself in a new knitting challenge, and spent the next 8 hours - until well into the wee hours of the next morning - researching the process and learning how to knot socks from the Toe-Up, practicing my JMCO skills, and gathering various sock patterns. The process completely absorbed me, diverting my mind and energy from re-running the days events and "What if ..." scenarios. If that's not therapeutic - sanity saving, in fact - I don't know what is!!!
Go to Top of Page

kcknitnut
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  11:15:50 AM  Show Profile Send kcknitnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 83 yrs old and find that knitting keeps my hands and fingers flexable. Also difficult patterns keeps my mental clarity up to snuff. right now a new book of Paton patterns has a pattern from the neck down and it is REALLY calling for concentration.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  11:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely find that knitting (and crocheting) preserve my sanity!

I also tend to be somewhat shy, so it also serves as an ice-breaker, when I knit in public. Also, I've joined an SnB group, which enhances my social skills.

If nothing else, coming home after a LONG day at work and working on a project gives me the satisfaction of knowing that I'm good at SOMETHING.

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page

carlyta
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  12:45:06 PM  Show Profile Send carlyta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year was a very difficult year for me: being fired from my job; low finances. The only thing that kept helped keep me sane beside my 2 daughters and 2 grandkids was my knitting. It is VERY therapeutic. It's nothing like seeing fabric develop before your eyes while you're knitting. Knitting helped me solve and get over the problems I had. I have a herniated disk in my back, when it flares up, I sit down to knit and the pain goes away. Even reading a knitting book or magazine helps calm me down. I'm so used to knitting now that I simply can't just sit down and do nothing. I have to be have a set of knitting needles in my hand working on a pattern or one of my designs. Joining a knitting group also helped keep my mind off my problems by talking about knitting and helping other members of my group with their knitting.

Carlyta
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find knitting and spinning both help me to relax. I managed to get off one of my blood pressure meds thanks to these two activities.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with all of you. After a bad day at work or issues with my kids I can sit down and pick up my knitting and feel myself relax. There's nothing like it. Even if I have to frog something I can do it calmly because I just like to knit so doing it again isn't a problem. Makes my wife crazy though.
My only problem is when I have an issue with a pattern and can't figure it out like the sweater I'm working on now. Just have to put it down and walk away because I get very upset with myself.
Go to Top of Page

Ridgeknitter
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile Send Ridgeknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting virtually saved my sanity. It's also my "Canary in the Mind" (yes, "mind" intended, not "mine". I returned to knitting after many decades having learned as a child.

Having spent more than a decade taking care of my parents I was no longer a caregiver, and my marriage suffered greatly because of it. I took up knitting again about four and a half years ago after my father passed, although I wasn't sure how how I would fare without my mom helping me when I got into trouble. Alzheimers made sure that for more than a decade, she would not be able to be there for me ever again. Thank goodness for YouTube!

Life has vastly improved! I've stitched my life back together. I have made many new friends from helping to start a local library knitting/crocheting group. I have a way of creating anew each time I start a new pattern. I have the joy of finishing, wearing or gifting each thing I make. I'm often challenged by many a pattern and love having succeeded.

Knitting will also provide me and those who know me with a clear warning bell if I'm headed down that path of no return.... It was the first hint I had that all was not well with my mom.

In the meantime, I'm loving every stitch I knit, rejoice over every finished project, and savor the next pattern waiting to be knit and the ones after that!.

Go to Top of Page

tamdoll@comcast.net
New Pal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  1:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit tamdoll@comcast.net's Homepage Send tamdoll@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting has always helped to keep me calm - if I have to wait in line somewhere, or sit still for too long I'll pull a project out of my purse and work on it so I don't get distracted and or frustrated. Lately, I've been recovering from a hip replacement and all the thinking and sitting and knitting has helped me focus and really concentrate on projects and planning on what I'd like to do next - without it I think I'd be overeating or just playing video games. At least this way I have something to show for my idle time!

http://tamdoll.blogspot.com
http://www.tamdoll.etsy.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamdoll
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  04:15:24 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is something about getting a nice knitting rhythm going that keeps one's sanity after bad days at work and the life stresses we all must cope with. When it is all a bit much, I know my needles and yarn are always there for me. Oh and the kitteh-cat too --I must give Missy her props!
Go to Top of Page

bellsonme@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  12:48:39 PM  Show Profile Send bellsonme@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I lost my job in 2008, knitting kept me from losing my mind. There's nothing like a nice stash to dive into when you don't have any yarn money -- just remember that when you think you have too much yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Irish Red
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  10:48:38 AM  Show Profile Send Irish Red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I so agree with all of you. I started knitting after knee surgery, learning socks as my first project. Then came several shoulder surgeries and 8 operations on my hands. But I kept knitting, despite the depression that came with no longer being able to keep my job and many other activities I lost because of my uncooperative body.
Discovered I didn't like knitting socks, but everything else is a delight. If I'm not knitting,(and I am a lot slower after the hand surgeries), I read. And a lot of my reading is about knitting! It is a wonderful way to bring down my heart rate, blood pressure, and soothe away all those aches and pains. I completely agree that it would be a wonderful benchmark for detecting incipient Alzheimer's (God forbid!). I alternate between challenging patterns and no-brainers, knitting whenever I am in a waiting mode. It is a great conversation starter, and for passing the time I would spend fretting about how much of my time has been frittered away waiting. (I like those words, 'fretting and frittered'....cute how they go together). But I digress. I encourage people with all sorts of injuries and ailments to take up knitting, as it can effectiviely take your mind off your physical state, if only for a short time).

The Industrious Bee
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  11:57:22 AM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have always found knitting calming and therapeutic,even more so during the past five months,as my family and I relocated from New Zealand to Australia.I have joined a knitting group at a LYS and so look forward to the weekly meeting where we knit,chat and laugh together.

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth