Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Storing yarn stash
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tasanawright
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tasanawright's Homepage Send tasanawright a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, what's the best way to store my yarn stash. I do want to go on a yarn diet, but generous friends keep giving me their wonderful yarn. Most of which is my favorite brand too, like Plymouth Encore, so I don't want to say no. But need a nice way to store it. Living currently in a 300 sq. foot home and need some organizational help!

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:59:37 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People use all kinds of methods. Air-tight containers under the bed; stacking crates; bags in the closet. The temptation is, I think, to put all that beautiful yarn where you can see it. However, sunlight does damage yarn over time, so keeping it out of the sun is important (or so I've read). Oh, and have fun playing with your yarn while figuring it out. That's a requirement too.

This topic has been discussed on the forum from time to time. Use the search link on this site; I bet you'll find all kinds of interesting ideas in addition to people's responses to your post.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1682 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  5:49:45 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you live in 300 sq. feet, how about space bags? I know people who have used them, and the amount of yarn you can fit in them is amazing.
judy
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  9:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
300 SF doesn't give you a lot of extra space, so good luck. But for me - out of sight is out of mind, so if you find a good hiding place I would take samples of the yarn and create a sample board so you don't forget what treasures you have stashed away.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  9:56:35 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read (on this site, I think) about people who got some kind of vacuum machine, put their yarn in a special plastic bag, and sucked out all the air. When all the air was sucked out of the yarn it took up something like 75% less space, and when it was opened up again it sprung up like new. You might investigate something like that, in order to make the most of your space.

Also, when I lived in a 300 sf studio, I had very tall shelving units on one wall. They held a lot of stuff. Maybe some combination of nice looking containers filled with vacuum bags of yarn might give you the space savings you're looking for.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

PipneyJane
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  02:58:08 AM  Show Profile Send PipneyJane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second (or is it third) the vaccuum bags. You don't need a special machine, any ordinary vaccuum cleaner will do the trick. They do work wonders to shrink things down. Also, have a look at travel supply shops - they have special "space saver" zip-lock-type bags that you fill, seal, roll up to expel air/flatten/create the vaccuum. I have a friend who travels extensively and uses them all the time (she can take a month's clothing in her carry-on luggage).

Once squeezed down and encased in moth-protective plastic, I'd suggest using stackable plastic boxes. They'll fit on top of/in cupboards, protect your stash from moths/dust and stop it leaping out whenever you open the door to the stash cupboard.
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  05:43:27 AM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good suggestions so far, but when the spaces under your bed and everywhere else are gone, go to your sofa, unzip the cushions, take out the foam rubber, and insert yarn!

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  07:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the shoe holders - both cubbie hole type and plastic. You could also use one of those over the door ones too I would guess. Don't forget about the under the bed....I used to live in a smaller space and under the bed was my favorite spot! I live in a big space now, and it's extremely hazardous to your stash health. I've dedicated an entire closet to yarn (cedar) and it's full. I can't help myself. And my rationale is that it's safe in there with the cedar. Do the rest of you get this "sick" feeling of contentment of looking at your stash and running your fingers thru the yarn. Do you dream of all the things you'll knit and then walk away frustrated because you don't have enough time.......just checking......

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

crc532
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  07:08:12 AM  Show Profile Send crc532 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I am sure people will think I am nuts, but.....I store my yarn in plastic freezer bags....in a freezer. So far, I have not seen any problems and then I never have to worry about moths. It is a small freezer, like a small college refrigerator. The yarn doesn't freeze or anything. Seems to be working very well and I have had some yarns in there for more than two years. If anyone knows why I shouldn't, please let me know!

crc
Go to Top of Page

Knancy
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  09:32:13 AM  Show Profile Send Knancy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I happen to have cats and I buy my Kitty-litter in the plastic, stackable containers. They are marvelous for storing my stash - throw a handful of whole cloves in wool . They are stackable, you can leave a small strand of the yarn being stored along with the total yardage, stitch gauge, et al hanging outside the bucket and it is easy to find what you want.

Knancy the Knitting Knut
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  10:47:27 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by crc32:
quote:
Okay, I am sure people will think I am nuts, but.....I store my yarn in plastic freezer bags....in a freezer.

Hahaha, me too. Moths are my mortal enemies. I store my cherished sweaters in the freezer, too.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Jaknit
Seriously Hooked

639 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  11:46:21 AM  Show Profile Send Jaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do not forget all of the storage space on the ceiling! I always point that space out to my husband when he deplores the lack of storage space. You can build a lightweight grid system (similar to garage storage) suspended from ropes. (I hope that you are not too tall.)

Jan
Go to Top of Page

akmtngrl
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:29:03 PM  Show Profile Send akmtngrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaknit

Do not forget all of the storage space on the ceiling! I always point that space out to my husband when he deplores the lack of storage space. You can build a lightweight grid system (similar to garage storage) suspended from ropes. (I hope that you are not too tall.)

Jan

And if not, pulleys work wonders for lowering things temporarily.

Gail in Fairbanks
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  5:35:57 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knancy, what are the cloves for? I love the smell of them but have been using scented soaps in my yarn armoire in my office/yarn/sewing room. I would like to try your idea! I think I will put them into those small sheer fabric gift bags they sell at craft stores.
Thanks,
KnittingKittens
Go to Top of Page

kathymcd0614
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  8:46:55 PM  Show Profile Send kathymcd0614 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am also wondering about the cloves. Do they actually keep the critter away? I have stash all over the place and am beginning to try to organize. Then comes the storing, But I do have the storage bags that you vacuum to remove the air so then they won't be so huge, especially with my bulky yarns. I want to keep the pattern with the yarn, does anyone put that in the vacuumed bag? And can the cloves and cedar chip go in there or they are not needed since no air?

Kathy (Chicago)
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2664 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  08:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone who has been to my house knows I don't have the storage thing under control at all - but I have found the best way (for me) to keep track of what I have and to manage the "out of sight, out of mind" factor. I use the yarn database on Ravelry. For me the essential component is taking a picture of the yarn. It has helped me when I have the urge to buy online; instead I go and "shop" my own yarn pages. In addition to helping me know what I have so I don't buy more of something similar, it has also helped others looking for matching dyelots, etc. I think of it along the lines of the Heirloom Seed Registry - preserving yarn for future generations.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  10:03:18 AM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about cloves, but was concerned the oil in cloves would leach into the yarn - those small gift bags might be the trick -- I know I have silverfish in my house (see them in the bathroom on occassion) and really worry about keeping them out of my stash.

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luann, what an excellent idea! Do you remove it when you have knitted it?
I must show that to the daughter.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

pmmknitco
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile Send pmmknitco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found that Office Depot clear plastic file boxes fit perfectly into the plastic-coated wire "knock together" cubes. My stash is in the file boxes sorted by weight, it's easy to tell what is in the box.
Watch the Office Depot sales...the boxes are normally $12.99...I just got them for $5 each.
The wire cubes work well if you move often since they can be reconfigured easily.
Go to Top of Page

Knancy
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  1:41:22 PM  Show Profile Send Knancy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In response to questions about the use of cloves - They keep the moths away as well as moth balls and smell a whole lot better !!!! I have never had a problem with oil clinging to the wool. Be sure to use the whole cloves. Depending on the amount of wool in the container, it doesn't take many. In the kitty-litter containers I have never used more than a tablespoon of them. Knancy

Knancy the Knitting Knut
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  01:34:34 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are building a new house and we have one room with a 12 foot wide built in cupboard and that will have all shelves just for our yarn and fabrics. We have everything in large plastic containers with airtight lids and castors. Our yarn is sorted into different crates. We have a couple for 3 and 4 ply (fingering), a few for 8 ply (DK) and a couple for 12ply and up (chunky etc) Then there is one for novelty yarns.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.