Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Other recommended Links
 Favorite Websites and Apps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heyrebecca
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  7:08:47 PM  Show Profile Send heyrebecca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm brand new to the idea of knitting and I'm just trying to gather some info right now about the best places to buy patterns, the best websites to go to, and the best apps to help with knitting projects. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations for me in this area? Thanks!

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  04:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Knitters Review is the first place to go, of course! Clara is known for her extensive knowledge of yarn and the knitting world, and her newsletter is published each week. I found her website when I was just getting back into knitting after taking a break, and I discovered not only this community, but reviews, tutorials, patterns, recommendations, advice, and everything else I needed to help me navigate knitting territory.

Ravelry is a giant resource as well. It's hard to describe, though. You just have to experience it and find the parts of it that are useful to you.

I was excited to be in the room at the KR Retreat when Ann Budd announced Interweave's Knit Handy app. It's an incredibly useful yarn calculator based on her Knitters Handy Guide to Yarn Requirements. I also use KnitEvenly Calculator and SimpleCount when I need them, and Goodreader for storing patterns. I haven't ever really used any of the project, yarn and needle inventory apps that I have I use Ravelry to track my projects, and my yarn and needle stashes are far beyond my ability to inventory!

Other KR folks will have lots of ideas, I'm sure, and I'm looking forward to reading more responses. Welcome to our corner of the big little knitting world!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:56:05 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use You-tube heavily, whenever I don't know a stitch/increase/decrease/etc. that a pattern calls for. I also love exploring the knitting fare at my local library. I'm new to knitting too, so don't have a heavy list of turn-to resources yet.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

noallatin
Chatty Knitter

285 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  10:16:34 AM  Show Profile Send noallatin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the (pricey) Knit Companion app. It has a steep learning curve but there are instructional videos at KnitCompanion.com. It lets knitters arrange complex pattern to suit themselves and to put all sections of a chart (for example) on the same page. I also like GoodReader for simpler, more straightforward patterns.

There are all kinds of how-to knitting technique videos available on YouTube. Interweave Knits also has copies of their magazines available in digital format. More and more knitting books, especially those from Interweave are coming out in hardcover and digital formats.

Something new is happening every day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?