Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 reinforcement yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wildwinowoman
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  1:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send wildwinowoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where, oh where, would I find reinforcing/darning yarn/thread? My daughter bought me Madelinetosh for socks and I've never had good luck with socks from yarn without any polyester/nylon in the blend. Help!

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  5:00:17 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've purchased at the local yarn shops, usually just a small amount of nylon reinforcement yarn for the heel and maybe the toe.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  5:19:13 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WEBS had quite a few spools of reinforcing yarn in different colors. They were around $1.75 each.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  9:39:19 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Patternworks also has reinforcing yarn in small amounts for sale.

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

wildwinowoman
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile Send wildwinowoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! My LYS didn't know what I meant (and I usually get great answers from them!) and then I thought I was perhaps dreaming about something that didn't exist and I'd have to get creative on my own. Off to internet shopping . . . .
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  3:39:23 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used the reinforcing yarn because I've always knitted socks from yarn with a nylon content, with the exception of one merino/tencel pair that wore out very quickly. Now I've been gifted with 4 socks' worth of Claudia Handpainted 100% merino. I want to reinforce the heels. I considered using some wooly nylon, but I worried about the nylon thread cutting my yarn. (Did you know that a nylon cord will cut pvc pipe?)

After reading this thread, I checked out the bobbins of reinforcement yarn on the WEBS site. The content appears to be the same as sock yarn. It does not give a weight. This gave me an idea. Could I just use another skein of sock yarn as a reinforcement? I have plenty of black and grey leftovers. Would this be so much heavier than using the reinforcement bobbin that it would not work?

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

OryxRun
Seriously Hooked

USA
625 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  09:45:45 AM  Show Profile Send OryxRun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used wooly nylon from Joanns but Prarie Pipre from Knitting Pipeline podcast recommended mohair like Kid Silk Haze from Rowan.

Stay well,
Mina
Go to Top of Page

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  6:12:46 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people reinforce the places that get holes in socks with another strand of yarn certainly. Either they will needle weave on the wrong side that area after the sock is done or they will use another strand of the same color as they knit using the yarn from one then the other alternatively like they would if they were doing color work. You could also USE color work to your advantage in those small areas as well as part of the sock's design and who would be the wiser? Certainly your feet won't tell! :O)
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  8:05:08 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mina and arlinem, those are certainly two great ideas. The only wooly nylon I have on hand is white, but I do have a little bit of Kid Silk Haze, I think, in a beige. I also like some of the other ideas of working in the extra yarn. Right now, I'm experimenting with continuing the heel stitch under the heel as well. I think that will help with wear, but since I'm experimenting on a wool/nylon yarn that I know to be very sturdy, I'm not sure if I can tell much. It should make for very comfy heels, however!

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.