Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 One final look at 2011...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  9:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here we are! Just a few more days before 2011 draws to a close. I thought it a good time to look at the year we've shared, the waves that have washed over our knitterly shores, what our landscape looks like now, and where we might be headed...KR style.

I'd love to know what 2011 brought for you, and what you hope to carry forward with you into the New Year. Please, do tell!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  9:38:54 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for 2011 I took a big bite out of my stash. I also have started more wips and will continue to work out of stash and finish projects in 2012. I do want to buy some Riveting but other than that, I will make 2012 a finishing out of stash yr.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2052 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying desperately to get the majority, of the knitting portions, of my WIP projects completed before year end. I've been having some tendon problems with my left hand and just yesterday the right hand. I'm going to the hand doctor tomorrow to see if another cortizone shot will help the left one and possibly one in the right hand before it gets bad. Until then the Advil is doing the job of keeping me on track. I can't, or should I say will not, give up my knitting. I will discuss my options with the doctor tomorrow and I will have my knitting with me!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  04:43:04 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted two lacy shawls from fine yarn - one spindle-spun by me and the other a gossamer laceweight I dyed myself - the finest yarn I've ever knitted with. I was very pleased with the results. And I made lots of socks, using sock-blanks I dyed myself.
Go to Top of Page

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  06:18:42 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sad to say that my town lost both of its yarn stores this year. Now all we have are those craft superstores and we seem to have a full complement of those. :-( Does this mean I will finally make a dent in the stash?
Go to Top of Page

jlpanecki
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  07:26:33 AM  Show Profile Send jlpanecki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went through my huge accumulation of yarn, and in anticipation of a move in a few months, donated almost all the yarn that was larger than sport weight.

Years of knitting afghans, and scarves have filled trunks and boxes with heavier weight yarn that I know I will never use. So unless it was something very special, it all got donated to a local thrift store that uses it's proceeds to help a women's shelter in our town.

I also donated a big laundry basket full of lovely yarn to the convalescent home that took care of my mother in her final years.
This is a double pleasure, not only do i have less to pack and move, several knitters will now have nice yarn to work with!

This left me with a small stash of fine gauge yarn, which is what I use the most. And I used 2 of the very nice heavier yarns (one a fabulous Colinette bumpy tweed) to make Christmas slippers as a gift for DH. They came out soft and cushion-y, and very handsome, like him!

Janet
Go to Top of Page

pattynance
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile Send pattynance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2011 I finally found a publisher willing to publish my knitting book - thank you, Shannon Okey & Cooperative Press for taking a big chance on an unknown designer. The target release date is June 2012 at TNNA Columbus.

On a sad note, November 2011 revealed the closing of my treaured LYS (Velona's Needlecraft, Anaheim Hills, CA) after 34 years of being the only game in town in the immediate area. I really hope some knit-treprenuer(s) will venture out and open a yarn shop when Velona's closes its doors permanently in May 2012.
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mastered English Knitting technique and made a knitted blanket. I'm learning Continental Knitting Technique and hope to master it in a month or two. By then I would like to knit using different colors of yarn.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  1:28:23 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2011 brought me Knitter's Review, which brought me not only all ya'll, but also knitting events like Black Sheep Gathering and Lambtown, which brought me drop spindle spinning which brought me wheel spinning. Wonder what will come next. What a fun year, trolling around as a beginner in the fiber world.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread, by the way, and hearing what is going on with others.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2085 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  06:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

I love this look back at 2011, Clara. Your whirl-wind, world-wide tour gave us another front row seat at all the happen' places & all the while, I am sitting with our cats, Jeremy & Annabelle, in a fav chair.

2011 for me: wonderful time spent with my far-away knitting pals in May, October & November (who says you cannot have home slices who do not live near you?!); a smaller quantity of knitting FOs than I wanted & some that were extra glorious (a fun pair of socks for my sweetheart (she loves them!) & 2 stash-buster scarves for close pals); new WIPS including socks for me from Spirit Trail superwash & a sweater that is ready to start from Briar Rose (companies owned by two of the most creative, smart, generous & beautiful women I know); a thorough review of my stash, needles & books (items to the Retreat Stash Lounge Emporium, a "right of 1st refusal" to my partner's daughter of lots of skeins, stuff to friends); a hard look at projects I had started, held on for too long to & then a frogging that gave me energy to pursue new projects.

Through the year & years, KR & you, Clara, have brought & bring light, joy & creativity to me & to those of us who subscribe. Thank you for enriching our lives & our hearts.

Happy holidays to all of you - may the new year be bright, lovely & healthy.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  07:21:32 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, how do you find the time to accomplice all these things? This past year I have carefully guarded my " knitting" time. I even joined a Friday afternoon knitting group, and signed up for an all day knitting class in January. My bags of UFOs are slowly disappearing, leaving a few socks, three baby sweaters and one adult cardigan, one scarf, and a pair of mittens to tackle in 2012.

Joining KR Forums has given me much pleasure, and I like to wish all of you a Merry Holiday and a Happy Healthy 2012!
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  09:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While 2011 allowed less knitting quantity than I would have liked, I was so fortunate to spend quality time with knitters I love at home and away on day-trips. So, too, with my actual knitting - less than I would have liked, but projects I enjoyed and was proud of that ran the gamut. I saw a challenging model worked on a deadline published in a book; and my Darling Bebe sleeping in the socks I made her every night until her little toesies broke through. With our QB Clara, I got to know some of our sheep friends who gave me their coats, and even some shepherds who raised them. It was a very difficult year on the personal front, but these things - which all happened because of the wonderful community circle we have here - made it better. For that, I am deeply grateful.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been writing music books, so have had less time to knit. But I did knit a wonderful vest of my own design out of yarn I spun back in 1993 and Kool-Aid dyed in Aug. 2011. In fact, I'm wearing it now.

I've been saying for the last two years that I want to take a crack at steeks. I am sure 2012 will at last be the year.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  5:38:37 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2011 brought me beyond scarfs and baby sweaters. I finished my new beginings project by March and knit my first pair of socks in October (with lots of knitting in between). All in all, it has been a good year.
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  03:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My biggest achievement this year has been that I started to write patterns and publish them. I'm quite proud of it and it is a kind of different thing to do too. I've been knitting own ideas for quite some time, but to actually write them down, have different sizes and all that... Quite fun to see other people knitting your own ideas too, so yes it has been a splendid year!

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  06:45:29 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me 2011 will always be the year of the dishcloth! It has also been the year of knitting groups - our Monday night group and our Thursday lunch time school group. I have knitted three jumpers for grandchildren, two with matching beanies, a hat for myself to match gloves knitted for me by my daughter, 18 dishcloths and so far four crocheted tea towel tops. I have also almost finished a cardigan for myself.
I would like to say a big ditto to the very well expressed comments by Marfa above and add my good wishes to all for 2012.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2011 brought me back to scarves and socks. I haven't made very many since I learned how to knit more complicated things, but last year I made 2 scarves and a cowl, and I started a second cowl. Neck-warming is my new obsession! I made 4 pairs of socks as well. I also plunged into a new technique and took a class on knitting 2 socks at a time on circs.

I also went on my first yarn crawl. It's been almost a year and I still have a lot of yarn to use up that I bought that day.

My knitting & fiber crafts blog is here: http://www.spindyeknitlove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  08:42:41 AM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2011 brought me back to scarfs: 6-poodle scarfs from Morehouse and 1-alligator. 2012 will be dishclothes and I hope learning socks. Have a wonderful and productive year.

Marie E NC
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  1:52:32 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a sad note, November 2011 revealed the closing of my treaured LYS (Velona's Needlecraft, Anaheim Hills, CA) after 34 years of being the only game in town in the immediate area. I really hope some knit-treprenuer(s) will venture out and open a yarn shop when Velona's closes its doors permanently in May 2012.
[/quote]
Yes, I've only been there twice as it's quite a drive for me, but it's amazing! Mountains and mountains of yarn. You could never get through the whole store in one day and take it all in. I hope to get there again at least once before they close.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't actually knit many items in 2011 because I spent much of the year knitting my first adult-sized cardigan! I've knit baby sweaters before, so I kept thinking this was taking a long time to finish. But it's done, I love it and have gotten many compliments on it.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  06:40:35 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2011 brought me Knitter's Review, the retreat, and the incredible community and talent that goes with those. I'm a decent knitter and love to knit no matter what, but the depth of creativity and general goodness of all the people is a game changer to me.!

thanks everyone!

p.s. and I knit my first pair of socks.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000