Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 Curse of the Anybody Sweater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gmatthews58
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  11:37:34 AM  Show Profile Send gmatthews58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter if it's for your mom, bff, or dog, knitting a sweater for someone can make you hate them! Baby sweaters might be an exception, but I have decided I will only knit sweaters for myself or tiny peopel. I always get ridiculously bitter like they should be kissing my feet and feeding me grapes or something because I'm knitting them a sweater! haha

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  12:25:21 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, although I do enjoy doing the kid sweaters ( I have 2 on the needles), but for adults only me. I do knit scarves for adults. It gives me a change to try new lace patterns or just to sit and knit a plain rib.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

sherrya
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:26:54 PM  Show Profile Send sherrya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I hope this doesen't happen - I am in the middle of a sweater for my 24-year old niece, if she doesn't LOVE it I will be crushed!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  10:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit for my best friend who is closer to me than if we were identical twins! Once I made a sweater for myself and although it was beautiful and of very expensive yarn, it just looked lousy on me. It needed a skinner person to look good and my best friend's DIL fit the bill. She is thrilled with it! Couldn't give it to my best friend since she and I are the same size! My friend appreciates my knitting. The only other person I normally knit for is DS and he gets socks. In all of my many years of knitting I've never knit anything that wasn't loved by the person I gifted. I have people begging to get on my gift list and I just smile and tell them it's time for knitting for me.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  02:24:58 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just decided I was going to start knitting for my self. I made four shawls this year and a pair of mitts for my daughter . In all the years of knitting I have only made myself one sweater and it was my first project. I have it now and it's ten years old. Donna
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  01:07:36 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly knit for others, though it's more often shawls, socks or hats. They're always appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  04:54:14 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good topic! I think of people as fitting into two categories: those that are "knit-worthy" and those that are not. If we think about it we know-we just know.

I knit for my family and for myself. My brother is my fave person to knit for as he exclaims over the item. "Really?!? You made that? You knitted it? Really?!" Yes, yes I made it for you!

My sister's oldest child is a 9 year old boy and asks her if I am going to knit him a sweater. I have made him two but naturally he has outgrown them. A few years ago he told her that if she wore a scarf to keep her neck warm that maybe Auntie could think about making him one too--"Oh and Mom, mittens and a hat would be nice too!" In yellow. His favorite color and my least favorite color to knit with because that was the color I used when I taught myself to knit. Don't ask. I ended up taking a knitting class but yellow still makes me cringe!

One of her toddler twins sits on my lap and pets my knitting and says "It's beautiful-it's beautiful". I am still working on the other twin!
Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  05:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, yes! I am knitting a Fair Isle sweater for my brother-in-law. He does so much to care for my elderly Dad, and I love him, BUT, I am grumbling as I work this sweater, racing to the 12/25 deadline. I am recalling things about him I don't like---this is so true! And, a gorgeous Fair Isle sweater, LARGE, for a guy who is colorblind? What was I thinking!!! Yes, "knit-worthy" and "not-so-worthy" are great categories. At this point, I don't even want to knit a sweater for oh-so-worthy me!
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  06:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I so admire all of you who make garments! I too think I'd be crushed if the recipient didn't just LOVE my gift! But to be honest, I don't make sweaters for myself either - just vests -because I don't make ANYTHING that requires two. No mittens, socks, or sleeves! LOL! I do sell my work and am gratified that my business is growing substantially, so I am happy. I guess I'll just sit back and continue to admire all of you for venturing into garments. Happy Holidays to all!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

knittenkitten612
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  06:22:54 AM  Show Profile Send knittenkitten612 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love to knit for other people, but only small projects like hats, fingerless gloves, scarves. Really special people (sisters and best friends) qualify for socks. Right now I'm knitting a beautiful shawl for my older sister (birthday in January). But, I'm not crazy about knitting sweaters at all - even for myself. Reasons - too heavy to hold, too much chance of not fitting well, too much time. I have knit vests for myself, with mixed results. I agree with KnittingKittens - you just know when someone is "knit-worthy"!
Go to Top of Page

birdgirl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  07:08:46 AM  Show Profile Send birdgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a sweater for a coworker, had to start over and make it bigger after showing her what was done so far. It worked out fine, it fits perfectly, and makes me smile when she wesrs it! It was a difficult process for me because when working on it I thought it was too small. Then at work, looking at her I would realize I was on track, till I was at home and dounts set in again!
Made another for my daughter, she loves it. Making for others is a leap of faith to be sure. So far it has worked for me. I find it more difficult to make the right size for my self, even after measuring!
Go to Top of Page

Alvern
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  07:09:13 AM  Show Profile Send Alvern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit sweaters for my two adult daughters because I know exactly what they like. I knit sweaters for those who ask me, are able to be measured, and buy the yarn. I do knit smaller items for friends that don't have to be so individual like socks, mittens,etc. but I never knit anything for another without some sense of their taste.
Go to Top of Page

LynnM
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile Send LynnM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spent most of this year knitting socks for Christmas gifts. I'm rewarding myself in January by knitting a coat. Yay for me!

For the most part, I'm pretty selective who I knit sweaters for. If it's not for me, then it will be those I know would want or appreciate. If fact, my sister again was checking out my patterns and pick a vest pattern she wants.
Go to Top of Page

LauraSue
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile Send LauraSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that "gift" meant, you know, GIFT. If I give it, it is not longer mine. What becomes of it is no longer my concern. I'd say that if you're having bad ju-ju while you're still even knitting it, then you are not the kind of person who should knit for others.
Go to Top of Page

gmatthews58
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  12:47:59 PM  Show Profile Send gmatthews58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree that some are more knit-worthy than others, it's all about their level of appreciation. But sometimes I am kind of ridiculous in my expectations for appreciation. That's what the curse means to me.

I have gotten closer with a friend that I knit a sweater for as gift for her graduation from college. She did the appropriate amount of oohing and aahhhing and I knew while I was making it that she would wear it often. This was probably my 7th or 8th sweater, but when I was still on my 3rd and was knitting a it for an ex bf that has stayed a close friend, I would want to throw the sweater out the window anytime he was not enthusiastic about it. It turned out not fitting as well as I hoped and I told him I would fix it for him... it's still sitting in my closet.

I enjoy knitting sweaters both for myself and for others, but I have yet to make a pair of socks that fit anyone but myself. I am much less confident with getting gauge for socks but I am improving so maybe one day I can do it. I have wanted to make socks for both my parents for a while.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  4:36:54 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost everything I knit is given away, but I usually only make small projects like socks, mittens, caps and some baby sweaters. It is very nice when people make a point of telling me that they like what I made for them, but once I have given it away I don't really care. The process of knitting is so much fun and a reward in itself.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only given away baby sweaters, but Alvern reminded me of a mother and daughter who knit a sweater for me about 30 years ago when I only knew how to crochet. They said to just go to the department store, pick out the pattern and the yarn, and they made me a lovely white cardigan in boucle to wear with my scrubs. I sure appreciate that sweater.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  8:41:23 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave a sweater to my Bro a long time ago and he still loves me, I think. And I love him. I could be wrong about it though!

Also, I'm knitting sweaters, for DH and a DD, and soon another DD, from simple to so difficult I'm sure it's giving me wrinkles around the mouth and across the forehead.

Right now I hate DH [insert smack the top of his head off smilie] for other reasons but not that Manly/Beastly sweater. He should know to never EVER send me cryptic text messages like, "Can you come pick us up?" without letting me know that it didn't involve a stolen vehicle or bodily damage from falling off a mountain.

I WILL NOT edit this. .I will not edit this I will not!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  10:42:48 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't ever edit it, Lella, you're wonderful! I love it when you let it fly!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.