Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Vogue Knitting New York City
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

215 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  11:20:48 AM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to get this kicked off - who is planning on going to Vogue NYC in January?

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  12:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there on Sat and Sun! Sat will be Estonian lace with Nancy Bush and Sun will be with Ysolda. My friend mangokiwi should be there as well.

In case I cannot make it to some lectures, the dinner, or the cocktail reception, I hope to be able to give my tickets to one of my KR peeps :)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  1:54:21 PM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there. I am taking a class on Monday (Happy Hat Knitting with Nicky Epstein) but I plan on going to the marketplace either Saturday or Sunday.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  3:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I signed up for classes in all or most of the time slots, but I'm a little on the fence because the hotel is so expensive (they no longer had conference-rate rooms as of the day I signed up, which was the first day for non-package registration). So the room rate I'm reserved under is pretty outrageous. Does anyone need a roommate for their room or want to share mine? The rate is $279/night (two beds) for the room plus taxes, so sharing would be half of that. I believe that the last day to cancel the classes with only a smallish penalty is Nov. 30 or Dec. 1, so I'll have to decide soon.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  07:37:57 AM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wendy - the hotel is nothing special. Try going on Hotwire.com to find something in the same part of town. You should do better than $279 -- January is a slow time in NYC.

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://podhotel2.reachlocal.net/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ThePod

This is suposed to be a small but OK hotel.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  12:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to register for classes on Monday the 16Th, but the Vogue site is broken. Did any of you have any luck?

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  12:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I got it, and I'm signed up for Nancy B's class (two sessions) on Monday the 16Th. I would love to have lunch with any of you still around. PM me if you are interested, so I can find a place close by. I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lin and I will be there for the weekend. Can't wait. Of course our very own Clara will also be there. We need a meet up when the time gets closer.

Rosi
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  1:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed! And if you join my table on Saturday night we can have our own little KR bubble. I know two splendid people who have already signed up. :-)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  2:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, my lovely friends. I checked some of the budget sites when I registered, but I got so bogged down in the "I found hypodermic needles and used condoms in the couch" type of feedback that I couldn't deal with it all. But I"ll investigate again, now that I'm in a more mellow frame of mind. And I have heard that the Pod Hotel is probably okay., too. Clara, I tend to avoid those "banquet-ish" affairs out of principle (unless it's, say, my child's wedding or something like that), but if you're hosting a table, I must reconsider. Hmmm . . .

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  2:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I do end up going, I'd love to be in on any and all KR meet-ups planned. Count me in!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

purlgin
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  3:06:00 PM  Show Profile Send purlgin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there on Sunday (Kaffe Fassett lecture in the morning, fixing mistakes class in the afternoon, and plenty of time in between to shop). Would also love to join a KR meet-up.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  8:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you want to meet up at the same pub that kplante suggested last year? It was right next to the Hilton but not crowded at all.

Clara, I thought of signing up for your table but decided to give other people the opportunity of getting to know you (plus there's that restraining order you have on me...). So I signed up for Norah Gaughan's table instead. But I'll bring you Burdick's chocolate nonetheless :)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pam B
Chatty Knitter

110 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:08:57 PM  Show Profile Send Pam B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nanci and I will be going for the day on Saturday. We would love to meet anyone who is interested for lunch like we did last year. The place was great but kind of small so if we have more than about 8 people we probably want to find a bigger place. I'm taking an Entrelac class on Sat afternoon. Looking forward to having a mini KRR reunion.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  07:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the place we went last year was great and I'd love to go there again - very convenient and good food. Pam makes a good point, but even if we have more people this year, I wonder if we should call them ahead of time to see if they would be able to accommodate us before giving up on them, especially since it wasn't crowded at all. I love being somewhere that enables you to actually hear what everyone at the table is saying!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  9:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Wendy,

After reading your comment about the hotel, I remembered a living social deal in midtown manhattan... Hope this helps!

http://www.livingsocial.com/escapes/167787-times-square-boutique-hotel?msdc_id=3

Shaili

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dothead
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  2:30:04 PM  Show Profile Send dothead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm up for a meetup too. Let me know because that will determine when I go to the marketplace since my class is on Monday.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going too, but just on Saturday (Lilly Chin's class on reversible cables). I'd love to meet up for lunch and/or dinner.

Meg
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but laziness is her favorite aunt.
Go to Top of Page

mathiemom
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  6:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit mathiemom's Homepage Send mathiemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Shaili. I have to confess that i'm not familiar with the Living Social website, though I've used others like Travelocity, hotwire, and hotels.com. Have you had good experiences with Living Social?

Meg - I've taken many classes with Lily, though not that particular class. I don't know if you had her before, but IMHO she's a really terrific teacher. She takes her teaching very seriously, and works hard to put together an info-packed class with good materials. I think you'll enjoy the class thoroughly. Have fun with her!

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  10:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LivingSocial is Amazon's version of Groupon and I've used both those websites a fair amount. I haven't used livingsocial escapes though. It seems like a good deal for a hotel in midtown manhattan and the price is $174 a night for a double. I was contemplating buying this deal myself but I'm not sure I will go back to New York after VKL... Unfortunately, these deals only last for a short period of time so you have three days to decide if you want to purchase the deal...

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by