Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 what I do when I fly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martha1958
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile Send martha1958 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some general things I do when I fly with my knitting.
1. I usually take a project that is small, (sock, glove, scarf, or hat) but doesn't use needles smaller then a US 3 wood or bamboo.
2. I put in a life line so if my needs do get taken I don't lose much of what I have already knitted.
3. I always have a stamped self-addressed large envelope so I can send my needles home if they are not allowed on the plane.
4. I carry spare needles in my checked baggage just in case.
5. For international flights I have a project with which uses size US 6 or larger circular wood or bamboo needles, such as a small baby blanket.
I have traveled both nationally and internationally and have never had a problem. But I am prepared if I do.

weavingway
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  09:40:15 AM  Show Profile Send weavingway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good idea about the self addressed envelope. I usually take less favorite needles in case they are taken away, never favorites or expensive ones. The envelope is a great idea. I also carry spare needles in my luggage. The life line is also a good idea, I will try that. I try to take something I am just starting so I wouldn't fall into a pitiful fetal position on the floor if I had to take the needles out.
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are really good tips. I also recommend not to bring needles that can't be replaced or would be very costly to replace if taken away, lost in transit, etc. Something like Signatures, or other expensive, luxury needles should be left at home. I know I would cry if my Signature needles got taken away.

I have also found that if you use circulars, there's less chance of losing the needles.

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  1:58:02 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about circulars--besides being harder to lose, they are also less likely to poke your seat neighbor than straights, and the work is easier to bundle into a bag.

I usually bring plastic needles. Denise interchangeables are my traveling needles of choice. If the tips should ever be a problem at security, I would use the cable as a lifeline.

Although I am not much of a crocheter, sometimes the easiest travel projects are crochet--potholders, slippers, string bags... The hook easily passes security and the WIP is easily stuffed into a bag at very short notice.

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

EmEm
Warming Up

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  2:38:12 PM  Show Profile Send EmEm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Ideas!!! I have not had any problems with security either, but I do try to be prepared for anything. Although, I do think I travel with too many projects (if there is such a thing.) I am always worried about being stuck overnight somewhere.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe