Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Steam or Damp Blocking?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  12:28:11 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use interlocking squares from Patternworks for Damp Blocking. But I am reading knitting books from the library that seem to prefer steam blocking. I have a roll-up blocking mat, also from Patterworks, that would work for steaming. Most of the items I make are wool.

When do you use steam, and when do you use damp blocking?

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  1:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this is gonna sound weird.. but I use damp blocking when I need something dry quicker. Say a present I finished the morning I am giving it? Tell me you never finish a present that morning and I will worship at your feet. I am always pulling a close one.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  2:02:26 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished a head band for skiing on the car ride up the mountain. Obviously, it was no suprise to my DH.

I must say, I don't know why damp blocking would dry faster. I read something about heat killing yarn, and that being good, in moderation. I suppose for lace shawls, so you don't have to block them everytime you wash them?
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  8:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a steamer for blocking. Yes, you can kill yarn if you touch the steamer to the yarn! I wash almost all of my projects and then roll them in a towel to get most of the water out. Then pin it out, with a small fan directed at it, to dry. I did make one acrylic shawl that would not block! Had to iron it, on lower setting, to get it to hold the blocking. Never again!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  06:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to burst your bubble, Purlewe, dear, but I have never finished a present and gifted the same day. (I have given a present still OTN - once ;) I soak, blot/roll and pin out everything. I can think of only two or three pieces that I've ever steamed, mostly because after that process they were so inclined to roll/curl that only steaming would remove the energy from the wool/blend.

I know some folks prefer it for silks, but I haven't had to resort to it and avoid it if possible. (And never actually touch the steam source to the knitted object)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  07:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe my version of steam blocking is different? I don't touch the heat source to the finished object. And my projects that I do that way are dry in about an hr or 2.

My usual method is soak, blot/roll, pin. That takes about 12-24 hrs to dry.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:44:13 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I, too, am soak, roll, pin. Since steaming doesn't do a better job than damp blocking, I see no reason to take the risk of killing the yarn (I read you can do it without touching it, probably by concentrating on one part too long). Now I just have to finish something!
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always soak my hand-knit items (wool, silk, mohair, cashmere, mink, angora, all types of "luxury" fibers) with Eucalan if the yarn is labeled hand-wash at all. I roll them in towels and step on them to blot out as much moisture as possible, then either hand-shape or pin to shape, depending on what it is (or use sock blockers). Sometimes, when dry, it gets a quick tumble in a cool dryer to fluff it out. I want to know myself how this yarn performs so I can advise the recipient on its care.

And while I have, indeed, finished a gift at the last minute, it has always been something that "blocks" in the dryer!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only have I finished a gift on the same day I was to give it, I have gotten in the car to go to an event while still hemming the skirt I made. I don't like doint it but it happens!

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consuelo, I love it (hemming the dress in the car). The last time I did that with sewing was in high school - my date was waiting in the living room while I hemed my prom dress. My mother said I would be late to my own funeral.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe