Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Heel Flap Pattern -- What's Your Favorite
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tami@webblake.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  05:32:58 AM  Show Profile Send tami@webblake.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Socks are fun to knit; I'm looking for unique and fun heel flap patterns. I enjoy learning new techniques and patterns. Eager to learn what is your favorite heel flap pattern? Chev1956

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1699 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  2:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't use a heel flap. See "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  8:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sort of boring. I always use the square heel because it fits everyone in my family. But don't hesitate to break out and try them all! Good for you!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

tami@webblake.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  03:51:59 AM  Show Profile Send tami@webblake.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ceil

I don't use a heel flap. See "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Thank you! Never heard of 'not' using a heal flap. I'm eager for the weekend so I can research and learn. Wishing you continued knitting happiness. Chev1956

Chev1956
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1458 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:24:33 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't use a heel flap either. I use a peasant heel also known as an afterthought heel. If you are using a self patterning yarn you do not loose the pattern. Also, you can replace the heel without ripping out any of the other parts of the sock.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  04:15:23 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also was bored with sock heel flaps quickly after I learned to knit socks. One, they never fit me very well, and two, the construction of the heel is my favorite part of knitting socks so I like to mix it up. When knitting, I can't wait until I get to the heel and then before I know it...it's all finished. LOL Anyway depending on the yarn and wear factor I use an afterthough heel the most. I also have a short row pattern that made a really nice rounded heel but as life goes, I can't find it right now. It'll turn up.
Have fun knitting those socks. You're hooked now!

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

tami@webblake.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile Send tami@webblake.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm using two circulars for the first time...perfect for carpooling...you don't lose those DPN on the floor ;-) We've had amazing weather, been outside enjoying. Once the weather turns chilly I'll be researching all your ideas...thank you. Keep them comin...we are all learning from each other.

Chev1956
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1458 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  06:20:33 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chev1956, socks on 2 circulars is perfect for socks, in a carpool, on the bus, waiting for a green light (did I say that?). I knit my socks toe up. So between the toe increases and placement of the scrap yarn for the Peasant/afterthought heel, and then the scrap and the top ribbing I have only my pattern to worry about, no shaping, no turning. For super easy, I do stockinette socks, next easy is ribbed. I can get as complicated as fair isle or lacy cables. The socks never get so big that they form a hot mass in your lap and make wonderful Christmas presents so I knit them year round. I live in minnesnowta but this year we've had 8 of the 10 October days reach above 80F. I'm waiting for the weather to match the fall colours.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished two pairs of Jeny's Doubble Heelix socks, and there you start the socks with the heel. Then you can pick if you want to do the foot or the leg first, or work on both. I actually had nine 5" dpn going at the same time, and kept switching back and forth between the two. The heel is nicely rounded and fits well. But I think you have to try out all different types of heels ( Dutch, German, Welsh, French, etc.) and pick the one that fits your foot the best.

Good luck with your quest Chev1956!

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  5:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I absolutely LOVE heel flaps and find they fit my feet and those of most of the feet in my family best, as we all have high insteps; they also feel best to me and I personally prefer the way they look. I do want to try the afterthought heel, though, as EZ teaches on 2/3 of the total stitches, to see if they will work for my feet.

Anyway, I always make my heel flaps at least two rows longer than the traditional formula (for example, on a 64-stitch sock with the heel flap worked on 32 stitches, my flap will be 34 rows instead of 32). I like both the utilitarian heel stitch and the "dressier" birds-eye pattern.

Magic loop is my preferred method for socks (actually, for just about anything knit in the round). I learned to knit socks on double points and then tried the two circulars but was annoyed by those unused dangling, jangling tips. I use a 32-inch needle for most socks up to my own size (women's size 10 shoe) and a 40-inch needle for larger men's socks.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made heel flaps with different patterns, short-row heels with various techniques, and one afterthought heel. I like all of them! For my heel though, short-rows cup my heels the best and don't slip around.

Angie

Ravelry: AngieSue
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  04:09:24 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Ikkivan. Love heel flaps, also because of high insteps. Really, really dislike short-row heels, though I've devised a method of toe-up sock-foot on the knitting-machine which uses a gusset & then a short-row heel combined with a relatively short flap; this works well for me. I usually use a bird's-eye slip-stitch for both heel-flaps and toes when handknitting socks, extra strength being useful! I prefer top-down construction for entirely handknitted socks, but have taken to knitting the feet on the machine (Passap) and then doing the fancy ribbing for the leg by hand.
Go to Top of Page

Phillida
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile Send Phillida a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the peasant heel best. You can knit circles of stripes and
fair isle designs to decorate it and best of all, you can
replace it. My presents of socks to friends always come
with a lifetime repair promise. I just got the first
sock back for a worn heel. Quick work to ravel it and
knit a new one.
Go to Top of Page

gerstperson
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  07:02:15 AM  Show Profile Send gerstperson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like different heels for different things. I like the heel flap and gusset construction, though I will most often put patterns on the heel flap (rather than the traditional slip stitch, alternating slip stitch or garter edge pattern). I love trying to incorporate the leg pattern into the heel. When I make a heel flap, I do it by length rather than by number of rows. My measurement in 2.5 inches, and that way I am assured a proper fit.

But when doing fairisle, I do like an afterthought heel, though I think it pulls a little at the edge. Thinking of trying Cat's method of using real yarn rather than waste yarn, and not going all the way to the edge.

I have also recently made a sock with the gusset shaping on the bottom of the foot, which I think gave a good fit.

It's fun to go for variety in the heels!
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  09:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually do a heel flap but find myself drawn to the short row heel lately. My latest pair of socks, "Breaking Hearts", has a heel flap. This pair also introduced me to the gusset decreases on the bottom of the foot. I really like this method since I get a nice smooth transition on the side of my sock.

I like to try new things in my fiber crafts and plan to attempt an afterthought heel soon.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

akmtngrl
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  5:04:48 PM  Show Profile Send akmtngrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried many things, as I like experimenting. I find, though, that the old fashioned heel flap is close to perfect for fit and wear. However, perfect is one of Nancy Bush's modifications of same, that starts with decreases, and ends up being worked like the normal heel flap. It has the perfect shape of my heel.

Gail in Fairbanks
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  08:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love slip-stitch patterns for my heels, since that's where I wear through my socks. Eye of Partridge is particularly pretty, but I'll play with any that I come across.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Deborah Tomasello
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Tomasello's Homepage Send Deborah Tomasello a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am ready to try Cat's tomato heel...didn't take her class at the retreat, but the YouTube explanation is thorough and easy to follow. I am up to the heel now. Ready to start. Drum roll, please...
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  1:58:11 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always made socks with a slip stitch heel flap, but I do want to try an afterthought heel as well as other types.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am making my first pair of toe up socks, from Cool Socks, Warm Feet. I'm feeling intimidated by the Afterthought Heel in this pattern, though, as Lucy says it's difficult to neaten up the corners. I was thinking of trying the short row heel since DH has a low instep.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: 2 BYOB (market bags), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl; black helmet liner; Fetching

Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  9:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heel flaps fit me fine, and I still find making the flap and turning the heel to be absolute magic. I keep thinking I'll try something else, but I don't want to give up the thrill!

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by