Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 Variegated Yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  9:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you ever make a cardigan with variegated sock yarn? I think it could either work out really well or work out disastrously... what have your experiences with this been?

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

580 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  06:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on the garment; it depends on the yarn. Some patterns are written specifically for this sort of yarn. Sometimes it depends on the knitter's degree of need to have everything match up exactly - or willingness to let things go as they will. But this is in no way limited to sock yarn - such is the case for any variegated yarn being used in any garment.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:34:24 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I work with tonal or varigated yarns, I use two balls at a time, carrying one strand over one row and then the next strand over the next row. It will break up pooling to a degree and even out the color changes so they are not as dramatic. Of course, if pooling and color blocks are what you have in mind, then no worries, go for it.

M L
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  1:29:26 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangokiwi

Would you ever make a cardigan with variegated sock yarn? I think it could either work out really well or work out disastrously... what have your experiences with this been?

I made a BSJ with variegated sock yarn - I liked the result:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nastij/baby-surprise-jacket

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  08:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you ever make a garment out of variegated sock yarn for yourself though? BSJ in sock yarn looks great! I actually have one on the needles that I have neglected!

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  09:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Milinda, I too, have done the two ball trick when using a varigated yarn. It works well and gives the cat, Mabel two objects of desire!
Go to Top of Page

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  10:52:40 AM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangokiwi

Would you ever make a garment out of variegated sock yarn for yourself though?

I am a "plus-size" woman - the thought of making ANY garment for myself out of a fingering-weight yarn makes me need to go lie down and rest!

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

mangokiwi
Chatty Knitter

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  3:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mangokiwi's Homepage Send mangokiwi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Bombeck quote Nancy!

Check out my blog!
http://knitting-fun.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

61 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  8:16:28 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all depends on how the yarn is variegated and what stitch pattern you are using.

I'm currently making a pullover for myself out of Kirsti, which is a worsted weight version of Koigu. It happens to be more spots and short splotches of color rather than longer lengths, so it is coming out very nicely; not at all stripy, even though it is in stockinette.

I made a vest for my sister-in-law with purple solid Koigu and a variegated Koigu in a fair-isle pattern that looked really fantastic.

If the yarn was stripy you could use an interesting stitch pattern like linen stitch or something with slip stitches to break up the stripiness.

Janet in TN
PS. Koigu is the original (1990s) handpainted sock-weight yarn.
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  12:11:50 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thought of making any adult size garment with long sleeves makes me think again -- or go to sleep, like Nancy. My adult DS has requested a long sleeved sweater and DDIL found a pattern in DK and I'm cringing. Such a big expanse of boring knitting. I think it's all mini cables, too. While I love cabling, that's too much of little cables. I'll find another pattern using worsted weight -- or maybe adapt that pattern, I guess would be an option.

However, that's not what you asked. If you really want to consider variegated yarn for a sweater for yourself, there's a book I just got after seeing a review of it that might help you understand the yarn and the variety of variegations that would work or kill the effort. It's Lorna Miser's The Knitter's Guide to Hand-Dyed and Variegated Yarn. I have only dipped into it slightly in the past few days (since it arrived) but there are photos showing different types of variegation and discussion of whether and how each would pool (ok or not ok) and what techniques could be used to help the yarn work best. After my struggle with my great niece's long sleeved dress with what I thought would be perfect yarn for her (I knit one sleeve three times), I figured I needed this book. It came out in 2010 so your library may be able to get it either locally within your library system or via interlibrary loan if you want to look before you buy -- or just look without buying, of course.

sja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?