Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 What is felting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nijifer
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  07:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Nijifer a Yahoo! Message Send Nijifer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could someone tell me what felting is and what it is used for.

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  10:50:03 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Felting is used to make big knitted things of wool shrink down to very very small things. This serves to make the items dense and warm, like slippers, or mittens, or even hats are felted.

Felting is used to make totes and purses. Marilyn is a member here who makes these.

Felting, on purpose, can also be used to make rugs for warmth, by the bed, for warm little feet on the cold tile floors.

Felting by accident, in a hot dryer - usually done by a person not familiar with woolens - can cause a lot of trouble. So, felting can cause trouble, too, so be aware.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1736 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2011 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sure is fun when it's on purpose! See my link below to see my bags, Nijifer. (Thanks for the shout out, Lella!)

The majority of my bags were knitted with 2 strands of 100% wool yarn (Paton's Classic Wool and/or Galway) on size US15 needles.

Here's a link to help you learn more: http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/knitting-instructions14.htm

Check out the topics here in the General Felting Discussion. Lots of wisdom to be found! Also, Google knitted felting, and you'll find lots of tips, techniques, and free patterns.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.