Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 I have startitis...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am doing finish work on some projects I finished last month and I have two socks on the go...but...I really have a bad case of startitis.

Instead of starting right now, I picked three yarns I want to work with next and found some patterns to use. I am putting the pattern, yarn and needles in a package; so, when I complete the finish work on a project, I will allow myself to start one new one.

Plus, I am asking all of you to encourage me to stay strong!

How do you treat startitis?

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com -~- I'm MerryKarma on Ravelry.

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  09:37:30 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ME TOO! I've been trying to finish three sweaters this summer and two are done (well, one is done, one needs seaming) and I just want to play with new yarn! I did allow myself to cast on for one (and only one) new project until the second sweater is completely done.

Of course, I also have various other things OTN!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HRH, I try to do the same as you. I can start a new project when I finish one. I have 6 diff on the needles. 2 Dishcloths for a Xmas Bazaar, 2 kid sweaters for gds, a Traveling Rose Scarf for me and a short cardi for me, plus my sweater to knit on at my Sun. knitting group . I try to finish 1 dishcloth a week to sell at the bazaar. Then I have patterns with yarns for when I can start a new one. When I finish a dishcloth I start a new dishcloth, when I finish 1 gd's sweater I can work on the second, the scarf for another scarf and my sweater for another sweater. Per Fran I try to work 4 rows a day on ea project. Some days I do and some I don't but most days I do.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  6:07:34 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep trying, HRH! You'll feel so much better if you can resist long enough to finish at least one of the projects. My method for treating startitis is similar to yours. I make a list with the next "few" projects that I want to make and keep it close to me. That's my motivation to finish other projects. In the meantime, I mull things over and let myself get excited by my ideas.

Good luck! Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  8:06:29 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After I've taken a long knitting break, I have the worst time getting back into it. Ugh. I started a baby blanket for my now 6 week old baby quite a few months ago. I feel so guilty not having finished yet. I always make sure it's out, right by the couch, so I don't forget about it. I always say I will start it after dinner when I can sit down and knit with some hot chocolate and tv. But, lately, it's only been the hot chocolate and tv that get done!

Slaggyc
http://wheresmyverve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  1:48:03 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HRH, I'll cheer you on in your battle against startitis. I have two pair of socks, one hardly started, the other half way to the pair finish, and two sweaters. The trouble with not starting something new with yarn I have, is that I go buy yarn from a bin or a tempting % off sale. I have to stop two things, actually!

Slaggyc, do you forget about the project though it's near you, or just say you aren't in the mood for knitting? If not in the mood, just try picking it up and holding it for awhile if that's all you can manage. I've found that if I just take the thing in hand, and hold it, then I feel like knitting a little, and then sometimes the little turns into a few minutes, or even more, etc.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  12:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best antidote is to simply finish what you start! Yes, I have a couple projects I need to finish, but not many. And look at it this way: When you finish the project, you can USE it, freeing your tools for the next project. Go, girl!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  8:08:01 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wearing one of the few items I've finished helps me to knock off the startitis and trend towards the finiboinkis, especially when people notice, or I get compliments on something.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  08:15:12 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'all are great! Thanks for the encouragement and for the suggestions.

I have the package of things I want to tackle next in a visible spot in my house. Everytime I pass by, I think, Oh! Let me finish that baby sweater...all it needs is the Icord edging and then I can start one of these lovelies!!!

So far, no finishing, but I'm getting closer....Maybe by tonight I'll have that baby sweater finished...

Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2011 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lella, I guess I usually look at it and think I"m not in the mood or am too tired. I'm going to try your suggestion! I've got to get that blanket done! :)

Slaggyc
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  10:15:55 PM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh HRH and slaggyc you must finish those baby things.! Just looking to see where on the planet you are situated. You will be finishing summer and coming into autumn and winter soon. Those poor babies will need those items!
Down under we are in the last throws of winter. We have had some nice spring days but today it is cold and raining again. (although we love rain after 10 years of drought) and I have no trouble finding incentives to knit because we still need the warm stuff.
BTW I love those new words. Startitis (Inflammation if the start????) and finiboinkis.
My daughter has trouble finishing things or to be more precise, sewing them up. So I made an arrangement with her. If she helps me to knit a few of my things, I will sew up the things she has finished knitting. So far it is working.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tues I started another sweater. I am blaming HRH for bringing the topic up although I really don't need anyone to remind me. The yarn is out of stash and just a nice little cardigan. So 4 sweaters on needles along with all the other stuff.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing on my to-do list today is to pick up my knitting! Once the kids are asleep...

Slaggyc
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  5:05:16 PM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Ditzy Girl...you're welcome! :)

Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2011 :  7:56:13 PM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, we went on a trip and I took the things that needed finish work, plus my two pair of socks I have going. I also brought two of the three packets I had put together in case I finished something so I could start something new. Well, after I wove in all the ends for a striped poncho, I pulled out the bag with the new stuff and discovered that I had not brought any needles for these newbie projects. Doh! At least I finished a pair of socks, the poncho and a little sweater...but...Doh!

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2011 :  07:22:02 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at the new fall Vogue and found 2 sweater and a couple of
scarves to make. Now I will have to buy the mag. That is one of their best issues in a long time.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?