Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hot Weather Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chicken Stitches
New Pal

Israel
31 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  07:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chicken Stitches's Homepage Send Chicken Stitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is this hot weather affects your passion for knitting?
Do you go all cotton?
Do you only knit lace?
Do you make mittens and hats for the Winter ahead?

As for me I have rigged up a fan to blow directly at my hands. This way my hands stay dry and sweat-free in this very hot weather.

Henya

Want to know me better - visit my blog http://chickenstitches.blogspot.com/
For unique patterns and stitch markers visit http://www.chickenstitches.com/shop
Visit my Etsy shop - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChickenStitches

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  08:50:56 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It makes me not want to knit at all, but I do anyway. I work on smaller stuff. The fiber doesn't really make a difference to me.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com -~- I'm MerryKarma on Ravelry.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  10:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in SW Oklahoma, where our high today is expected to be 117 degrees F (I think the last time our thermometer on shady north side read under 100 for the high temp was back in May), and I'm knitting wool and cashmere socks. My oldest daughter and family (four grandchildren) are in South Dakota and I keep them supplied with handknit hats, balaclavas, scarves, cowls, etc., for their winters. They can't seem to get enough and are VERY appreciative, plus it lets me keep doing what I love.

Right now, I don't envision ever wearing wool hats and scarves here in Oklahoma again!

I should say I also am knitting quite a few cotton kitchen towels and dishcloths for Christmas gifts for folks in this area.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say that my desire to knit has waned a bit in the hot weather, but since I have a rather ambitious list of Christmas projects, I forge onward. I'm in the process of making 6 adult vests, but have other things I want to get to as well.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  2:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only effect that the season has on my knitting is the time I have available to enjoy it. Summer is so busy for me that I knit less often, and I miss it.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  7:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to be in a low. Summer becomes my time for reading. Very few stitches being knitted daily; maybe a couple of hundred and that is lace.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  8:35:14 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Summer knitting is slow for me. Except for this year which I blame entirely on the KBOW woolalongs! And I have loved each and every month. Most of my spare time is spent on my flowers so I have smaller knit projects.

I also try to do one project with a summer yarn in linen or bamboo. My Goodale, knit in a bamboo blend, is my new favorite cardi.

Angie

Ravelry: AngieSue
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  8:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am knitting a Moebius purse in a silk/linen blend. I hope it will be nice and cool to wear when it's done.

I also knitted fingerless gloves and a sleeve for my left arm only, using Tofutsies. I wanted the gloves for driving west from NJ to home a couple weeks ago, but had no time to finish them. Thankfully, I finished the sleeve before I left on my trip, and it saved my arm from burning up in the car. Definitely a good idea! But the gloves are done now. My friends think I'm weird to wear them, but think about those hot steering wheels, folks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Grand-moogi
Seriously Hooked

Australia
783 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  06:30:22 AM  Show Profile Send Grand-moogi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have mentioned on this forum before that one of the best things you can knit in hot weather is a steering wheel cover. You have to do it in cotton or some other not very stretchy yarn.
You knit it in garter stitch so it gives a good grip. Measure around the thickness of the steering wheel and also around the outer circumference. Then knit a long strip. Make it not quite wide enough and not quite long enough so it is a tight fit. You have to hand sew it on but it is excellent. I have done them for our cars and they are marvelous. Even in 43 degrees Selsius (109 Fahrenheit) the steering wheel is comfortable.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  02:37:49 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally, the hot weather does not affect my knitting at all. This summer,it seems my knitting mojo is on an extended vacation. I have been reading way more than I usually do. If you see my mojo send it over will you please?
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

192 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  03:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit all year round! I have to produce because I sell my work in various galleries and boutiques. I am constantly experimenting to develop new designs, so it seems to matter little what fiber I use. Some are strictly for winter-wear; others are year-round. Last night I made a new Winter's Fringe in browns and blacks, but during a drive to a neighboring state earlier in the day, I made a similar version but for summer - in shades of peach. I enjoy it all immensely -no matter what the season!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a Scarf It Up! Fan on FB: http://www.facebook.com/scarfitupwilmington
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  03:57:36 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to knit smaller things in summer, &/or cotton. Last summer I made myself 2 nice pairs of cotton driving gloves with short fingers & long cuffs. I've had a melanoma on my driver's-side arm, & obsessively keep the sun off my hands and arms while driving; but I like to be able to put petrol in the car and air in my tyres, not to mention getting out the cash to pay for the petrol. I continue to knit lots of socks, whence my Ravelry name, Sockjoan.
Go to Top of Page

daveywavey
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  03:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit daveywavey's Homepage Send daveywavey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i actually like to knit with linen or a combination of linen. Right now i am knitting a sweater of linen with a small amount of wool. I don't get as much time to knit as i am a lot more active in the summer. When it is really hot out thought i can't handle the fabric in my lap.
Go to Top of Page

lmarshal
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  04:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send lmarshal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting doesn't change at all. I'm a knitting nut all year. The older I get, the worse it gets. Give me yarn. Give me needles, and I'm off!
Go to Top of Page

pmcgrath
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  05:13:25 AM  Show Profile Send pmcgrath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the summer I usually do more reading. Also, during the summer I work on my lace skills and make scarfs etc for Chrismas gifts.
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  05:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's a natural course of events for me. Summer = gardening, canning, tending the yard, etc. But nothing feels better than finally sitting down on the porch in my rocker and knitting a few rows. I started this tradition last summer: socks only. Otherwise, I feel like I'm working on the same thing forever - wait! I am :-)

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  06:22:10 AM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm knitting more this summer than I usually do. I have been knitting Turkish slippers for daughters, granddaughters, and friends. I try to stick to relatively small items, but the only thing I won't knit in summer is a blanket or afghan.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  07:17:03 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting doesn't change much in the summer, since we don't get a lot of days when it's too hot to have a blanket or sweater in my lap. Here in Vancouver, Canada (the Pacific Northwest to our US friends) we have just started summer in the last week or two. I may be knitting only smaller projects, but I'm starting my Christmas knitting now, with felted clog slippers for my Dad, and some winter hats for my niece's children.
Go to Top of Page

cottonblossom
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  07:54:40 AM  Show Profile Send cottonblossom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I continue to kn it...I just sit next to the a/c vent. Sometimes I even have to over up with what I'm knitting if it's long enough.
Go to Top of Page

claudiasawyer
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile Send claudiasawyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Pacific Grove , Calif. and I am currently wearing lambskin slippers and a sweatshirt-- wishing it was warmer. We get fog and gloom here in the summer. So, my knitting does not change. Am currently working on a sweater and will then start some winter hats.
Knitting alternates with reading and gardening when the sun peeks out. Life is good and knitting is great meditation.
Go to Top of Page

susan14_23
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  2:16:31 PM  Show Profile Send susan14_23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always knit, summer and winter, though I wouldn't want to knit something large that will lay in my lap as I knit. Grand-moogi, I like that idea of a steering wheel cover!

Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.