Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Block n Roll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  8:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since it was too hot to swatch this week, I decided to catch up on my blocking using a new product that The BagSmith revealed at TNNA. It's called the Block n Roll. When it isn't rolled out on your bed or floor, you can roll it up and stow it away. I poked just a few literal and figurative holes in it. Here's the review.

Do you have a blocking board, or do you just use your bed?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

jan.hamby@gmail.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  03:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jan.hamby@gmail.com's Homepage Send jan.hamby@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the heavy duty puzzle piece dense foam squares that are designed for use in work areas. I bought mine at Costco for far less than ones custom made for blocking of knitting. I do put a beach towel over them for extra water absorption. They work great.

I thought I'd also share a technique I use for blocking -- threading the wires into the knitted garment while it's still dry and then giving it a bath. SO much easier on my back! I give a full description at the blog I share with my sister. The permlink to the post is http://twinset.us/?p=4283 if you want to check it out. What a coincidence that you had a blocking topic just a few days after that post!

Jan
twinsetjan at http://twinset.us
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  04:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm shocked by the price - I got insulation boards from the hardware store and didn't even bother covering them. I use them vertically, leant against a wall (I'm only blocking lace and small items, where weight isn't an issue).

Bye, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  04:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use cardboard cutting boards that I ordered from joann.com. They were less than $10.00 each. I think they were closer to $5.00 but I can't remember. I ordered 3 of them in case I had to block larger projects and also because I didn't know how they would hold up. I do not use them on wood floors because the pins do go through. I pin out my item for blocking and if necessary I can stand the board against the wall to save space. I can move them around and place strategically under ceiling fans no matter where I did the actual pinning at the start. They fold up and store easily.

Linda, knitting and spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

sjanova
Seriously Hooked

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  06:29:48 AM  Show Profile Send sjanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 3 sets of 4 blue foam "puzzle piece" flooring meant for kids' playrooms. I picked them up at Toys R Us for about $20 a set, as I recall. No problem with holes. OK, they don't have a grid on them, but I could get a piece of gingham at the fabric store to cover them if I wanted. So far, their own edges and a measuring tape have worked. Along with my blocking wires and pins, that is.

When we have nice weather, I sometimes lay them out in the backyard and, after blocking whatever needs it, I lay a lightweight towel OVER the item so the birds and trees don't leave debris on the knitwear. Outside is pretty much the only place I can block larger items and having 12 of those foam squares usually is plenty big enough. More ordinary sized items can be blocked on those foam pads on our queen size bed, but generally they need a fan aimed at them so we can use the bed for its primary purpose at night.

Oh, and those nickel plated T-pins rust, so I've had to find stainless steel rust-proof pins or chance rust spots on my knitted items. Just an alert so people watch out for their pins, whatever sort they are.

sja
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  06:42:03 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

Since it was too hot to swatch this week, I decided to catch up on my blocking using a new product that The BagSmith revealed at TNNA. It's called the Block n Roll. When it isn't rolled out on your bed or floor, you can roll it up and stow it away. I poked just a few literal and figurative holes in it. Here's the review.

Do you have a blocking board, or do you just use your bed?

Clara

What I want to know is, what pattern is that lovely orange shawl you are blocking in the review?
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  06:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'd be Evelyn Clark's Prairie Rose Shawl from the Knitter's Book of Wool!

Clara
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got two shawls on the needles, and some big floor puzzleblocks ready to block them, but so far, to block sweater-pieces for finishing, and so forth, I have pinned them out on my fabric-mesh sweater-dryer that can lie in the bedroom with the fan on, or at night, prop upright in the bathroom or against a wall. It's for laying sweaters flat for drying, but with a little care to roll the piece or pieces of knitting well in a towel, they will dry very quickly pinned out on a mesh surface in a room with a ceiling fan.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  07:25:29 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the puzzle piece dense foam, too. I think I bought them at Target on sale (they were labeled as mats for exercise equipment). They store easily and I use them on the bed or the floor, with a beach towel on top. The last time I used them, I was blocking a baby blanket and instead of pinning it, I just laid it out and patted it into place. Our dog, as usual, was supervising and when I started patting, she thought I was inviting her to lay down where I was patting. Poor thing...she was trying to please me and instead she got shooed away very abruptly.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

auntlinda
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  09:09:45 AM  Show Profile Send auntlinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a confirmed towels-on-the-carpet gal. Especially for lace.

~Linda
Go to Top of Page

claudia3
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  09:37:25 AM  Show Profile Send claudia3 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a variety of things (foam blocks, the carpet for large shawls, cardboard cutting boards, and a blocking board) depending on the project.

While the Block n Roll sounds like it would be handy, the fact that the grid is 30mm square (1.2 inches) lessens it's convenience for people who prefer to measure in inches. Just something to keep in mind.
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  12:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a queen-sized bed with one of those memory-foam toppers for blocking lace, especially since my pieces have tended to be on the larger size of late. The foam stuff really holds the pins nicely. But for anything smaller, years ago, I bought a big artist's canvas, covered it in batting and 1 x 1 gingham and it works just fine. Sure, the T-pins poke through, but since the canvas not flat but three-dimensional and higher than the floor or table, it doesn't matter.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  2:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have an old futon couch in the basement/wreck room that works nicely. It's only a few feet away from the intake vent of the dehumidification system, so the air is dry and moving even during the humid summer months.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.