Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 American-grown cashmere from Ravenwood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  6:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that most people associate cashmere with Mongolia and China, where most of today's cashmere comes from. But cashmere goats are being raised here in the U.S. too (as well as in England and Italy, among other places). But it's tricky because environment does play a significant role in the quality of the fibers.

This week I look at the efforts of one farm in Oregon, which has partnered with five other cashmere farms in the U.S. to produce a purely American cashmere yarn--from fibers grown, processed, and spun here. Meet Ravenwood Cashmere.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Carol Metzger
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  01:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carol Metzger's Homepage  Send Carol Metzger a Yahoo! Message Send Carol Metzger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarn. Good. But did you take a look at those DOGS!!!!!!!

http://cfmdesigns.net/
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  04:38:32 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Carol--love the dogs!!!
Go to Top of Page

jo.vivian@comcast.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  04:59:59 AM  Show Profile Send jo.vivian@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's pretty rare for me to jump on a yarn like I just did, but I agree with Clara - I love the idea of supporting this farm. I do hope they get someone to take more detailed pictures of the patterns/kits - especially any lace patterns as it was difficult to see the design in the pictures provided for the lace scarf. So, I just had to suck it up and buy the beret kit instead. Ah, the sacrifices we make. :)
Go to Top of Page

kjelenfy
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  05:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit kjelenfy's Homepage Send kjelenfy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Black Locust Farm here in Washington, Maine has been doing a similar thing for years. Yvonne Taylor is the Queen Mother of cashmere goats in Maine, second only to Wendy Piet at Springtide Farms in Bremen. I'd love to see you promote these Maine farmers, Clara!
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  05:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Dear! I think I beat my own personal "best"...either that or my internet connection was really fast late last night. There is so much to love about this product and the production. Thank you sweet Clara. I need something extremely soft and comforting right now and this will fill my ache.

Rosi,
who is teetering and listing just slightly
Go to Top of Page

spinningkat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  05:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinningkat's Homepage Send spinningkat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Clara,
Glad you are promoting American raised Cashmere. As a grower of Cashmere for 12 years, it has been my dream to create a commercially available yarn that incorporates American Cashmere. I was a member of the Eastern Cashmere Association-edited their newsletter...but realized in order to accomplish this-I needed to learn the yarn industry. After founding a yarn shop-owning it for 4 years, then running a wholesale line of hand dyed yarn-I have finally succeeded. Trinity Lace is a 2 ply strong yet so beautiful lace weight yarn that incorporates not only 30% American Cashmere, but also 40% American Corriedale wool and 30% silk. It is now available in yarn shops and online at EarthFaire.com and now on Patternworks. It is milled in a wonderful up and coming mill in Ohio. And it is available in over 50 solid and variegated colorways. Scarlet Fleece introduced it last year at TNNA and we are dyeing it as fast as we can. I am a strong believer in promoting American farms. Our animals are well cared for and thus we produce quality fiber. Thanks for highlighting American Cashmere.

Kat
Check out news at Scarlet Fleece: www.scarletfleece.com
Go to Top of Page

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  05:39:52 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this review. I decided, when we started hearing about the environmental problems with Asian cashmere, that I would buy only North American cashmere. The high price only seems to confirm my idea that cashmere is supposed to be a luxury product. Black Locust Farm, which another commenter mentioned, on the East Coast, is definitely worth a look.
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am excited to see a producer near me! I wonder if they allow visits....

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KAH
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  08:54:56 AM  Show Profile Send KAH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just FYI - It's in Spokane WASHINGTON (not Oregon). :)

www.knotanotherhat.com
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  09:25:41 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, the Spokane, WA area isn't in the Pacific Northwest, lush and rainy. It's not high desert like Mongolia, but between the Cascade and Rocky mountains, it's a dry climate, with hot summers and cold winters. The natural brush is sparse, with pine and sagebrush, and it's a wonderful agricultural area in the valleys--I usually see the area on the Canadian side of the line during summer, but I can see how the goats might really like it!
Go to Top of Page

lauritatoo
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  11:15:19 AM  Show Profile Send lauritatoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Springtide Farm in Bremen, Me has the most amazing range of colors, they dye right at the farm and will custom dye for you as well. I find domestic cashmere a yarn of a much better quality than commercially procured yarns. http://www.springtidefarm.com/index.php
I purchased Ivonne's yarn as well (Springtide's goats are from Ivonne's stock). Though much pricier than its Mongolian or Chinese counterpart, this cashmere is a song of your soul. Try it once, you will be hooked, the resulting pieces are beyond compare. My daughter has worn her hat for the last 3 years and it still looks great and feels even better. It also attracts a lot of attention because of its colors - lime green and bright pink, her choice. I love this part about Springtide cashmeres, they come in great, great colors. This cashmere has a very fine "bloom" and though made in fingering weight is very very warm, warm enough for out Maine winters.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am thrilled to see this choice! Thanks for spotlighting this yarn and farm, Clara. Whoot!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  2:28:53 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG, these people are within driving distance from my house!!! I feel the need for a field trip coming on.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Pete
Warming Up

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  05:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pete's Homepage Send Pete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an update. I have added a shawlette design for Ravenwood 2-ply, the Brackenhill Shawlette (http://www.ravenwoodcashmereandsoaps.com/01567_1_5_patterns.html). It only needs 3 skeins of Ravenwood 2-ply lace weight. Here it is on Ravelry for good pictures: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/brackenhill-shawlette
Enjoy!

Jen
www.figheadh.com
http://figknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth