Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Block lightly?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snowflake100
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  08:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send Snowflake100 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi - I'm working on a project whose last instruction is "block lightly". Could somebody please tell me what is meant by this? Also, I'm knitting a cowl in 100% alpaca, bulky weight. My stitches look a lot more uneven that usual, so I suspect this one needs to be blocked too. What's the best way to block alpaca? Thanks for your help :).

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you look at the lace shawls, I suppose you could say that they are usually blocked to within an inch of their tolerances. Lightly means that you will just be putting the garment into shape with your hands, patting it out on the towel to dry in place and looking well.

I bought a sweater tree.. blocker.. to block out an alpaca and silk aran sweater. I don't know what you would do with a shawl, but have a look around the web for Lace Blocking. HTH and happy knitting.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  3:05:50 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Snowflake! Welcome to KR! I would block an alpaca cowl "lightly" too. Soak it, then, wrap in a towel, squeeze hard. Then take the cowl out, and pat it into shape and let it dry. Soak it according to label directions and you should be all set. That should be enough to set any uneven stitches.

Good luck! Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Go to Top of Page

Snowflake100
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile Send Snowflake100 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again and thanks for your advice! I'll wash it, squeeze it dry(ish) in a towel and lay it out to dry. Hope that evens out my very uneven stitches.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want to consider buying a clothes steamer. I wish I had done it before, it works way better than anything else.
Here is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-MLS-850-LITTLE-STEAMER/dp/B0024W9SUU/ref=sr_1_35?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1306442718&sr=1-35

Debra
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  5:36:24 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Debra, that sure looks handy. What all do you use it on?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  10:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cowls can be a little tricky, as you don't want to get creases in them. I use an inverted vase with some stuffing around it, or even a round bolster pillow (I think that's what the round ones are called?) to block cowls in three dimensions. This allows me to pin them all the way around and no creases. Welcome, and HTH!

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth