Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 make something for my son's girlfriend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

handmadebypam
New Pal

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  4:52:20 PM  Show Profile Send handmadebypam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to make a scarf for my son's girlfriend. Is there a curse on that one also? I definitely believe in the boyfriend one......

thanks!

Pam

Handmadebypam

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  5:39:05 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of one on scarves. Maybe someone else here can confirm / deny.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

suecq
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  05:40:12 AM  Show Profile Send suecq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of a scarf curse, but experienced the sweater curse when I made a hoodie for my son's girlfriend. I finished the hoodie and he broke up with her. I gave it to her anyway.
Go to Top of Page

handmadebypam
New Pal

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  06:26:48 AM  Show Profile Send handmadebypam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, that's what I was afraid of. For the boyfriend sweater curse, it happened to me with both sweaters, vests, and socks. Doesn't seem to matter what I made them; we would always break up right around the time that I finished the project.

I think I'll nicely let his girlfriend know that I care for her too much to make her anything. It'll be safer that way, and then I can't get blamed for any break up.

Thanks for the input!

Handmadebypam
Go to Top of Page

DPerli@aol.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  06:30:56 AM  Show Profile Send DPerli@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It extends to hats, scarfs, sweaters, twice to my son, I'll never make a thing for someone I want to stay around.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  06:53:09 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! You made the newsletter... congrats

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

knittingwithwords
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  06:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit knittingwithwords's Homepage Send knittingwithwords a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you're safe (and she is safe). I think the curse comes from the expectation that goes with gifts for close loved ones. And yes, you may care for your son's girlfriend, but you won't see her every day or know if she doesn't wear the scarf. And she won't feel as obligated to wear it (if she doesn't love it but she will because why wouldn't she?!) as if her own mother had knitted the scarf for her. She can receive the scarf with the love you intended no strings attached.

~Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

love2knit
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile Send love2knit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knitted a scarf for my daughter's boyfriend 4 years ago. He loved it and they're still happily together. I couldn't generalize from this, but there certainly wasn't any curse on that scarf

Veena
(aka the KnittingGuru)
http://www.KnittingGuru.com
http://www.KnittingGuru.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/KnittingGuru
etc....
Go to Top of Page

mixedupbrd
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  07:57:17 AM  Show Profile Send mixedupbrd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my experience, the curse only applies to men, not women. Your son's girlfriend will love the scarf.
Go to Top of Page

madenson
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  08:13:44 AM  Show Profile Send madenson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be very cautious. Scarves might not apply, but I'd knit it, leave it laying around where she might see it, and offer it if she likes it. I'd also not make it super duper special at this point.
Go to Top of Page

Mirl56
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile Send Mirl56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal take is that the curse only applies to your own intimate relationship w/a boyfriend or significant other. Probably could be any knitted item.

But in my world, you are safe kniting for your kids significant other(s).
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  09:18:13 AM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I never gave any thought to the projects I made for my boy's girlfriend. Have successfully made hats, mittens, leg warmers, slippers and even an afghan!!
They are still going strong for over 4 years.... knock on wood....she is a keeper!

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  10:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about that but I made a quilt for my daughter's boyfriend (thought maybe my future son-in-law) but nope. They broke up. So he has a beautiful quilt. Actually I was glad as her husband now is a sweetheart.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  11:08:42 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what's really important is the time, artistry, and craft that go into the gift. For most of us, a quilt or a sweater is a pretty big project, but a scarf does not necessarily need to be knitted in a cobweb angora-silk blend lace pattern with a sideways border to be a caring gift. If you knit a nice scarf in a comfy yarn, you don't have a huge emotional investment in it, and if her coat is warm without it, no pressure on her, so I would go for it--but my son is old enough to cope with my eccentricities by now.
Go to Top of Page

Ell-in-or
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  12:26:16 PM  Show Profile Send Ell-in-or a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once made a lace scarf for my brother's GF for xmas. Three months later, they broke up.

FF to this January, on the way to/from Hawaii, I made a little one-skein lace scarf thinking I might give it to my brother's current GF for her b-day. (It was a simple, busy-hands thing for the airplane, not special). I got off the plane, called my brother the next day, and they had broken up that morning and he came and lived with me for three months.

No more scarves for his GFs unless I don't like them!
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son gave hats that I knitted to his last 2 girlfriends. They broke up shortly after. He knows nothing about the curse yet, and I won't tell him until he dates someone I adore & asks me why I refuse to make her anything!

Off to cast on something for his current girlfriend... ;-)

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

handmadebypam
New Pal

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  4:23:02 PM  Show Profile Send handmadebypam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, interesting combination of answers. I think in the end, if I make something and they break up, they could point to me!! Might be safest not to do anything and let her know I care enough NOT to knit for her. I've definitely learned which friends are appreciative of my knitting, so I can just knit for them!

Thanks, everyone!

Handmadebypam
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  4:53:03 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ell-in-or I thnk it might be a lace thing! I just finished a lacy shawl that I cast-on and ripped out 20 times -yes-- 20 times. Try a nonlace scarf and let us know how it works.
Welcome to the forums!
KnittingKittens
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  7:19:36 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam, I just can't sign on to this! There is too much risk, of making a big deal out of it for a tentative relationship......I think, play it cool.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

harveyjb@cox.net

USA
Posted - 05/13/2011 :  2:38:42 PM  Show Profile Send harveyjb@cox.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't make a scarf, but I made a hat and mittens for my daughter's boyfriend a couple Christmases ago. He seemed genuinely touched and he has wore the hat every day since whenever the weather is chilly. He proposed to my daughter a short while later and when we began the wedding plans he asked me if it would be too much trouble to knit him socks to wear with his tux? They are happily married and we are happy to such a dear son-in-law. I don't know whether this helps you or not, but my sense of it is if an individual doesn't appreciate a lovingly hand-knit gift from you then you probably will not mind much if they don't join the family.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  11:54:55 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mertle... Lol!

Actually I did make not knitted things but a fleece hat, gloves and scarf for my DD1's SO. They stayed together another 6 years so making something for him probably had nothing to do with it. I'm such a believer in this curse, though, that I'll never again make anything for anyone's boyfriend, nor will I ever risk making knitted things for one.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth