Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Sock yarn I won't use again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JLWinPA
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  05:45:19 AM  Show Profile Send JLWinPA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't knit any more socks from Koigu, Shibui Sock, or any 100% superwash merino sock yarn. It just doesn't hold up over the long run.

Those standard German sock yarns (Regia, Opah) wear really well. If you're looking for something a bit different but still affordable, I've been very pleased with Cascade Heritage and Knit Picks Stroll. The Stroll Tonals look as nice as any indie hand-dyed yarn and wear like a dream.

On the spendier end of the range, Mountain Colors Bearfoot is great (thanks to nylon AND mohair).
Go to Top of Page

Phillida
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  05:54:29 AM  Show Profile Send Phillida a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will never again use KnitPicks "Stroll" sock yarn. The solid colors are lovely, but the yarn feels too soft and bodiless while it is knitted, and makes a soft, floppy, insubstantial sock. I haven't worn my just-finished pair yet, but am not hopeful about wearing qualities.
My Lorna's Laces socks developed a fuzzy surface that blurs the stranded patterns I knitted into them, even with hand washing.
I liked Paton's Kroy and the socks have held up wonderfully, but their solid color selection is so limited and unimaginative--I don't want any more socks in black, cream, and gray patterns, The self-striping yarns are also limited.
I am looking for gorgeous solid colors in a good yarn for size 3 needles. I like to knit my own patterns into the socks and am not looking for multicolored yarns. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  06:22:49 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Koigu and Colinette Jitterbug (the colors run). In general, I will no longer use 100% wool for socks, much as I love wool. They develop holes much too quickly. My favorite sock yarn of all is Mountain Colors. That combination of wool, mohair, and nylon is perfect. But I wish there were more light colors.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

Susan Ferguson
New Pal

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  06:55:51 AM  Show Profile Send Susan Ferguson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too will not use the NORO for my socks for the same reasons as others- knots,thick/thin & it seems less resilient.I am currently using a PATONS stretch variegated and have been pleased with the results.I most likely will start using the reinforced fine nylon as well in my heels.I have used the REGIA, Sockacolour as well as others with happy results.My Sock book library continues to grow with each new book out. Can one ever have enough?
Go to Top of Page

kbmcgee@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  06:58:13 AM  Show Profile Send kbmcgee@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kept hearing the praises of Dream In Color Smooshy (and I loved the name)but after just ONE wearing, the entire soles of both feet had thinned to almost nothing. I've since re-knit the soles (using a tutorial from KnitPicks) and will see how double soles do. Needless to say, no more Smooshy in socks for me! I've also had to repair both pairs of Jitterbug socks. Noro sock is wearing well, but the prize goes to OPAL, my origial pair, worn the most and still going strong after 6 winters. I also love Socks That Rock.
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  07:00:21 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by forrestwife

Brown sheep wildfoote.
The yarn splits like crazy when you knit. I never even finished the first sock so I don't know how ti wears

One of the first pairs of socks I made was with Wildfoote...a long time ago. We were still in AZ at the time, so let's say 10 years?

I agree with you on the splitting, but even worse IMHO was the twisting. I was forever having to stop and let the yarn 'unwind' by dangling my sock from the ball. To this day, those socks are strangely twisted (like something made from fabric cut on the bias) and I wear them as a last resort. That said, over the 10 years, I've worn them plenty and the fabric is still as good as new. I'm no handwasher, either. Into the washer and dryer with other clothes in the same colorway.

I bought two skeins way back then, but after the horror of knitting the splitting, twisting yarn, I've never summoned the courage to knit the second skein. Wah!
Go to Top of Page

Tripleransom
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  07:39:12 AM  Show Profile Send Tripleransom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'll ever use OnLine Supersocke 100 again. The color was beautiful, I liked the feel of the yarn well enough, but the skein was in 5 separate pieces, all artfully concealed within the skein.

The first piece was just long enough to let me get a good start on the toe of a toe up before I realized it. One piece was knotted with a big chunk of a long pattern color missing. My second sock ended up being pieced in 3 places so I could match the pattern. Thanks, but no thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wildsagesheep
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  07:54:20 AM  Show Profile Send Wildsagesheep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sock yarn with a lot of acrylic in it, oddly enough the red heart worsted socks I made first, when I was learning to knit socks, wore like iron, but sock yarn made with acrylic has not worn.Holes first time they were worn. I like wildfoote, love austreman step, have made at least 15 pr of Kroy socks, some of which are 6 years old, and still going strong after hard use. I have used Kona by Harry's attic, which had worn well, Regia, opal, wear well too. My go to yarn for socks is the Kroy, affordable, and wears well.My sleeping socks, are Step, dont know how well it wears, but it sure feels nice to knit and wear.
I dont like knitting with yarn with elastic in it, although the socks I made are working well for my sister.
Go to Top of Page

kplante
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  08:08:01 AM  Show Profile Send kplante a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is probably blasphemy, but I don't know that I would use String Theory again. The yarn is super soft, but too soft for socks (for me). They don't really hold their shape. Maybe if I went down a needle size it would be better because I like socks that hug my foot, rather than just float around them.
Go to Top of Page

AmyKlaire
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  08:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send AmyKlaire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mountain Colors Bearfoot ... allegedly superwash but not in my experience :(
Go to Top of Page

akmtngrl
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  10:34:52 AM  Show Profile Send akmtngrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildfoote. Too stretchy, all out of shape, but I admit that they haven't worn through yet--maybe because I don't wear them often. I loved my Cherry Tree Hill socks, but they are the only ones that shrank in the wash. I've tried all different kinds of sock yarn. I'm not fond of Opal at all; it doesn't have a nice hand, and it just feels cheap. I do love Blue Moon's Socks That Rock. Now that is a hard wearing yarn, with gorgeous colors!

Gail in Fairbanks
Go to Top of Page

gcbriden
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  11:53:35 AM  Show Profile Send gcbriden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have taught sock knitting for about 50+ years and from experience I use only #1 needles with sock yarn with nylon. I love Regia best, but have good results with many others. All my socks go in the washer and dryer. I have yet to blow a heel or toe. I will say though that I wear clogs most of the time. Again, the best results come from using #1 needles.
Go to Top of Page

LovelyView
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile Send LovelyView a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never again:
Colinette Jitterbug
Madelinetosh Sock
Malabrigo Sock

Love:
Regia 4 ply Silk
Regia in general: All my gift socks are knit with Regia so that I don't have to write a novel on how to take care of them for the giftee
Trekking Pro Natura
Skinny Bugga
Go to Top of Page

janutah
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  3:18:14 PM  Show Profile Send janutah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildfoote -- I cast on as the plane took off and struggled with it using a pattern with cables. By the end of the flight, I gave it to the first knitter I met and suggested that they dump it in the bin at their local thrift store. It definitely was not going to take up space or fly home with me.
Go to Top of Page

LinR
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile Send LinR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I love this topic! I totally agree with not using KnitPicks Stroll - soft baggy socks that wore a hole in the heel quickly.

But what do folks think about Berrocco (sp?) Sox? I am about to knit hubby a pair of kilt socks and I sure do NOT want to go to all that trouble with the wrong yarn!!! Also, any opinion on Sock It To Me Soft Focus - 75% machine washable wool, 25% nylon...

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Lin in Vermont
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  4:11:30 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Noro Sock broke when I was working on the toe. Arggghh!
Same thing happened with Shelter while making gloves. I still love the Shelter but would not use it for socks.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

tangneyc
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  6:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send tangneyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cascade Fixation did not work well for me. It was definitely the wrong yarn to start my first socks. It wasn't very nice to knit with, the stretchiness of it was different and it was hard at the same time. I thought the socks looked great, but they shrank in the wash and dry and my kids thought they were uncomfortable. Good thing they were toddler socks!

I have some Meilenweit Boot Superstretch, Tofutsies and Berocco Sox Metallic to try.

This is a great topic, thanks for all the comments, I'm going to try some Opal, Regia and Kroy next..

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2011 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been doing a lot of sock mending over the last week or two. (dd brought home the socks that needed help). It has reinforced for me that I won't knit anymore socks with merino. And I won't knit anymore socks from sock yarn that doesn't have a nylon and/or polyamide percentage. Opal and Regia, those are sock yarns worthy of my time.
eta: the socks that rock were quite faded and needed repair after one winter of wear. So no more socks to be knit with str.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  02:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I living in an alternate universe? Because my socks don't wear out very often, and besides taking care when I wash them (in the machine) they get some serious wear. The only ones that have worn out are my earliest pairs, and that makes sense, since I didn't knit them at a tight enough gauge, and they were a bit wonky. I knit my heels and feet on smaller needles than I use for the leg. I love plain old Merino yarn, and I avoid nylon if possible. My Opal socks have worn well, but they look just awful, and my STR pairs, though the colors are great, don't have my favorite "feel."

So, dear Knitters, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

judyknitter
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  10:25:10 AM  Show Profile Send judyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two pair of Jitterbug socks have felted. Also, Malabrigo Ranco. I love Bearfoot, but have a pair of red that have bled for 5 years!

I never have had a pair of socks wear through, but enough friends have so that I no longer use Koigu or anything without nylon for sox.

Love Regia, Opal and Cascade Heritage. I also have had good luck with Step and Lang.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?