Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Sock yarn I won't use again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  8:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colinette Jitterbug. Gorgeous colorways, but the yarn is too soft, even if it IS more tightly spun than other yarns (producing less yardage). I finished a pair last September, and now, eight months later, a hole in the heel.

I have another gorgeous colorway of this yarn, and have decided to knit gloves with it. Much, much safer when it comes to longevity. After all that work, I want my socks to last for a while!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  01:48:37 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Lucille. Sorry to hear about the hole in your sock. Good luck with the gloves

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Rakuqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  04:56:56 AM  Show Profile Send Rakuqueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That happened to me w/Cherry Hill tree. Will not use it for socks, ever again!!! Will use it for shawls or gloves, etc.
Jane

Rakuqueen
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil -
I used mine for Hedgerow Mitts and while I do love them, with a wash, they relaxed significantly to become almost "baggy." If I were knitting them again, I would go down one or even two needle sizes. HTH.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made one pair of socks with that yarn. Never again. I even threw the left over yarn away!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, everyone, let's stick with Opal and Regia!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

peggymchoe
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  11:37:34 AM  Show Profile Send peggymchoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 (think that's what it's called). It feels good on the foot, but the yarn wants desperately to return to its fleece state. And the heels, though reinforced, have just melted away, starting where the nylon reinforcement thread left off.
Also, Sanguine Gryphon Traveller. It's a wonderful, wonderful yarn that I should not have made into socks. It's not sold as a sock yarn, so it probably doesn't belong in this thread.
My current theory on socks: knit them tightly with yarn that contains nylon, and don't have too much negative ease. At least, this is what my hardest-wearing socks tell me: they are a bit roomy but tightly knit out of Kroy sock yarn.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  1:35:09 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ceil

OK, everyone, let's stick with Opal and Regia!

Ceil

I have never tried Regia,but I would definitely recommend Opal - it wears really well.

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  2:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though my Opal socks have worn well, they just don't feel good. I like good old merino superwash the best, preferably dyed by Sundara.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My last skein of Jitterbug is now becoming fingerless gloves. Great colors, which I will get to see more often, and without the worry of my heels wearing through!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  8:48:25 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ceil about Jitterbug--the colorways are so so pretty, the yarn is fun to knit with, but it simply does not hold up well in the real world. One bright red/orange/pink colorway I used bled every time the socks were washed, for years. The socks looked terrible all faded!

My (adult) daughter is very tough on socks, and Regia holds up the best when I made socks for her.

-- Mean Mama

Qui vit sans folie,
Nest pas si sage quil le croit.
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  8:04:05 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Regia, and like Opal all right. I also like Online, Trekking, and Wildfoote. But my favorite is Meilenweit.

Boo to socks that wear out quickly. Some people don't mind; I do. Even though I sort of enjoy darning holes, I do get annoyed when a yarn that IS marketed for socks doesn't stand up to use as socks.
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  01:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like Jitterbug, maybe not for socks, but for other items. I knitted a cardigan for my smallest from it and it holds up really well, giving a nice fabric when knitted on 3.25mm needles.

I also have made socks out of it (3 pairs) and yes there is a tendency that socks made from this yarn get "baggy". I didn't have big problems with holes though.
I also think that this yarn is on the thick side for me when it comes to socks, so I wear them only when cold and when at home since with shoes it is a bit too thick to be really comfortable (for me that is)

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2011 :  04:12:56 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Opal all the time, and I find that when the finished socks are washed the yarn becomes much softer. Has anybody used Madelinetosh (Not sure about the spelling) for socks?

--kk

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkknitter/
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
60 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  12:38:11 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't use handspun Border Leicester again - it shrinks to blue blazes no matter how carefully you handwash. But I love Superfine Wool Australia's 3-ply crpe; it wears and washes really well, and is beautifully comfortable and warm. I use reinforced stitches (bird's-eye slip) in heels and toes.
Go to Top of Page

Bulldog
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  02:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bulldog's Homepage Send Bulldog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog

kk, I've used Madelinetosh (also a ? on the sp), and the one I used knit up beautifully. I don't know about long-term wearability, but I suspect it's about the same as any other tightly-spun sock yarn - pretty good. As for Opal, I used that when I first started knitting socks, and I just don't care for it. Anybody who knows me knows that I'm a staunch supporter of small indies and rarely use anything else. The one major exception to that is The Sanguine Gryphon's Bugga. I love the colorways and the hand of the finished fabric. It fuzzes a bit during knitting, but it's proven to be hard-wearing. I knit it on a size 2 needle, whereas I knit the Madelinetosh on a size 1. My fave indies are woolyboully and numma numma. Jenny Boully will be dyeing again in a few weeks after having taken time off for her pregnancy, but I don't know what happened to numma numma. Anybody else know what happened to Allen (I think that's what her name was - the lady who dyed Toasty and the other numma yarns?). I wrote to her but never got a response.

All indie, all the time.

All indie, all the time.

All indie, all the time.
Go to Top of Page

PamelaB
Warming Up

82 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  03:58:51 AM  Show Profile Send PamelaB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lorna's Laces. I know this is a favorite of many sock knitters but I don't like the feel of the finished socks and the pooling/flashing can be fun but can also drive me crazy.

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

Bulldog
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  04:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bulldog's Homepage Send Bulldog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like it either, Pamela. Ironically enough, Lorna has written a book on techniques to combat those very issues. There is also another excellent book on the subject (whose title I can't remember), but you can either Google it or search within Amazon.

All indie, all the time.
Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  05:49:32 AM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have knit only one pair of socks out of Colinette Jitterbug...my pair of Monkeys. The socks wear alright, but they do bleed everytime I wash them, using Soak or Eucalan...

I have one pair of socks made out of Lorna's Laces - it's okay...

I have several skeins of MadTosh Sock in my stash, but have only made one pair of socks so far, and it is holding up well.

I love how Opal wears...I've made four pair - going on three years ago and more - and they are still going strong.

I'm MerryKarma on Ravelry.

www.merrykarma.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  05:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned to knit socks from some older ladies from Germany. They always knitted a strand of mending/darning yarn (fine yarn sold on little cardboard pieces) into the heel and the toe. You just start knitting it in, and then after the heel is done, you just stop! I have always done this and have never had a heel blow out. This mending yarn comes in a lot of colors and because it's fine, even if it's not a perfect color match you don't see it much. I wouldn't knit socks without it!

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

jan.hamby@gmail.com
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2011 :  07:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jan.hamby@gmail.com's Homepage Send jan.hamby@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful colors, but I really disliked knitting with Noro Kureyon. Splitty, hard on the hands, no elasticity, KNOTS -- and not even knots that continue you in the same color repeat. Sheesh! Ill not use it again.

Jan
twinsetjan at http://twinset.us
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by