Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 I got so mad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today I found out my electrician tried to pull a fast one on me and the B**** lied to me. He used my 3 spare electrical lines to do wiring that he was contracted to run new lines for. He wasn't going to tell me! He knew why I had those spare lines, I had paid him $500.00 to wire them in, along with a 4th line for an electric water heater! That was a totally different job, done March 8th, before the current job started on March 24th, to re-wire the whole place; no old fashioned, deteriorating wireing to be left. I've got very good records on what he has done, to date, but he doesn't know that.

Down the road, someday, I would have called an electrician in to have something installed, expecting to use one, two or even all three of those lines. Imagine how I would have felt to have the new electrician say "But there aren't any spare lines to use."

When we bought the house I had 2 spare lines put in and eventually we did use them to wire a 220 plug, for an air conditioner. I wanted 3 back-up lines for future use, that is why I had them put in and he knew it! He knew those lines were not to be used and used them anyway. That, to me, is theft.

When I found out what he had done I said, rather loudly, "Then you owe me $500.00!" His face just fell! He looked like a little kid that had just been cought with his hands in the cookie jar! He had, last Monday, intimated that the lines were still in the basement, available for use. I found out only because I wanted to know which breakers they were hooked up to. I felt something was weird because all of the breakers that are not labeled are in the "on" position and I couldn't find the new "not connected" wires in the basement where they were supposed to be.

Well, that is the Reader's Digest compilation of what is going on. I haven't decided how to handle the situation from here on out. For the time being I'll just have him keep doing what he is supposed to be doing. I've been overseeing his work so far, so that won't be anything new.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  12:08:09 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I view him as a thief.

M L
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  03:42:42 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he is a thief. He is why every time I'm having work do in my house I watch what they do. Some don't mind me watching and asking what they are doing and why, some want to work alone. You will be surprise what you remember they said and did. Donna

PS
I have become good at fixing things around the house.
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  04:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he a licensed electrician? That's outrageous.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:55:49 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, he owes you $500 or he owes you three more lines. What is it with some people?

Once I had some clutch trouble so I went to an unfamiliar mechanic (I was new in town) and he said I needed a new clutch, $1000 please. Well, I didn't have $1000, so I decided I'd fix my clutch when it fell out on the asphalt. A week later a chunk of fiber/dirt worked it's way out from the hole the clutch comes out of, and what do you know, my clutch was fine. It was fine for 12 more years.

Some people are coming back in their next life as mosquitoes.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he is a licensed electrician, self employed. I'm not saying he doens't know what he is doing, but that is the problem. He knew what he was doing and thought he could get away with it! He is moving this Fall and if I hadn't caught him I would have been out of luck.

The better part of it is he won't get paid until the work finished and I'm happy!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You need to notify the licensing board for your state. My profession is licensed, and he knows better.

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  1:23:36 PM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon,
Unethical and lazy pop into my mind.

My BF is a master electrician/HVAC/gas fitter and he applauds your thinking ahead with enough circuit breakers and wiring for future electrical loads. This guy sounds underhanded and unfortunately they are out there; in the trades as well as elsewhere. Yes, he probably thought he could move before you figured it out.

Here's a shout-out for the electricians and HVAC folks who come to fix your A/C...It is great you are taking an interest in your system and understanding the problem and fix but they are BUSY when there is a heat wave so they may be a bit brusque in answering a ton of questions on that particular visit, simply because they need to get onto the next call and maybe get home before dark. (I accompany him on Saturday calls and have seen home owners sit on the A/C unit asking questions while he's replacing parts and charging systems.)

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  5:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't bother him while he is working but I sure watch!

Late last night I removed the face of the electrical box and traced every line to where it went. As many of you know, the face plate has numbers on it. After matching each line to the room it went to I put the info on the computer. He had marked "spare" by the three lines he had previously installed and when he used them he tried to remove those marks! I hadn't picked up on that before, since the marks were so faint. Ha, ha. I could still identify them! They were the FIRST three lines he used for this project!

Today I went to Radio Shack and bought a digital tape recorder. He will have to talk to me eventually and I'm ready. I want all three lines replaced and all old wireing replaced, as agreed.

I think he is afraid to be around me since I "spoke loudly" to him! In public I am normally very subdued, so that is why he was so shocked when I told him off! As I've told people, "Don't make a knitter mad, we have sharp sticks!"

I started working, as an accountant, in the construction industry on October 15th, 1965. I always worked for a smaller company and learned so much from listening and watching. I always love to learn and now it is paying off! Watch, listen, ask questions and offer to help when things get busy. Those were the days when working was fun.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  6:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Photograph, too Sharon. Make sure to take pictures where he removed the markings for the spares. You aren't the first one he's vistimized, guaranteed.

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  03:42:42 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shalee, One more keep an eye on what is written down on scraps of paper.I had co worker to lose 15,000 worth of checks. She said I never gave them to her. She talks so much that she forgot I had her sign for them when I gave them to her. She later confess she put them in the mail. The checks were never found and guess had copies of all of them and her signature.Donna
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  08:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things are getting more interesting. It apears that I had another spare line already. Still checking on that. If so, that means he has used 4 spare lines, not 3. Have to run upstairs to see what is going on in the attic. Hey, this is almost fun, but sure pushing my blood pressure up!

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  5:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I won! Determined there was another spare line, from a previous contractor. Thank you Knittingrunner! I confronted the electrician again this afternoon, with the tape recorder running. He has agreed to install 4 (FOUR) spare lines that he admits using! He had already sai he needed to install 4 more lines just to finish the job, so I suggested he make that 8! He tried to imply that I would have to pay for them and I let him know that he would have had to install them anyway, so there will be no "extra" charges. It would have been included in the bid calculation, so, basically it's a wash.

Now, I don't know if it was intentional, or just stupidity, but he turned off the breaker to my freezer, just before he left. He does have to replace that line, I checked earlier today, but he didn't tell me he was going to do it! I go to the freezer several times a day, for ice cubes, so it wasn't off more than 20 minutes! He told me, earlier, that the freezer line was ok. Well, there is a stackable washer dryer right next to it and when I had to pull it out to get to the plug, I found another outlet that needs to be re-wired. He isn't going to be happy about that! That's life! ;-)

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  03:53:15 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharon, You sound so much like my sister. She is 4 feet tall and takes no mess from anybody. She is a teacher who takes nothing but the best from everybody.I love to watch her in action. You go girl. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  6:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He said he was done when he left yesterday. Yea, right! Neither of my door bells work, I think he cut the wire feeding them and didn't re-attach to new wire. The recessed lights on the east side of my kitchen don't work; they were the first 2 he did in the kitchen and did work at first. Don't know how he screwed them up. There is more, but oh well,we'll see.

He hasn't produced a bill and I told him I wanted a detailed bill for future reference when and if I sell. His reply was that he doesn't put much detail in his bill. He, he, I have printed off a list, by area, of what was agreed upon. He will sign that and attach it to his bill or not get any more money! There are items on the list he specifically said he would do and then did not do.

The confrontation will be interesting. If he gives me a bad time I'll just ask him how he sleeps at night.

Sharon in NW PA

Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3963 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goodness, what a horrible experience.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

ellensatch@msn.com
Chatty Knitter

256 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  6:39:54 PM  Show Profile Send ellensatch@msn.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally awful! I need electrical work done & PLEASE GOD he is not relocating to NYC!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe