Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 WHY!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  5:38:39 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it that when you are running out of yarn you think if
I knit faster I can finish before the yarn runs out? Or
is it just me?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  7:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the same thing...sometimes it even works!

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  9:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yah, it worked for me today, about 10" left at bind off.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:45:51 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I squeeze the remaining ball of yarn for some odd reason. Maybe to encourage it to make more of itself. Who knows. But I knit faster and I keep squeezing the ball to make it have more. We knitters are funny creatures. LOL

M L
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  03:49:17 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, same here. I just finished a pair of beaded socks with only a few inches of yarn left for grafting. Since the yarn, Opal Uni, already had a knot half way down the leg, and I had to cut, re- bead and make a new knot, I'm glad I did not have to add another skein.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  07:32:14 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Milinda, I did the squeeze thing to. After ea couple of rows squeeze,
squeeze and knit a couple more, but it worked as I finished.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

daiseyduked
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile Send daiseyduked a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol! i've read that if you think you might run out, take your yarn and if it can go across your pattern (on needles) back and forth 4 times you should have enough to finish. but i'm a newbie to knitting......i don't know how true that is.....
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No it isn't just you. Whenever i think I will run out of yarn I knit faster than ever to just to see it happen (or not). very strange that is indeed....

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Is it that when you are running out of yarn you think if
I knit faster I can finish before the yarn runs out? Or
is it just me?"

That reminds me of how my father used to say he would drive faster if he thought he was in danger of running out of gas.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3460 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  4:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same thing for me... the suspense kills me so I knit faster!
Go to Top of Page

liseknits
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  04:22:46 AM  Show Profile Send liseknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ABSOLUTELY do this!! If I knit faster, I can beat the ball disappearing!
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  04:36:56 AM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there are people who knit more slowly in the hope that the wool will last longer...
Go to Top of Page

ruthmel1
New Pal

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  04:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit ruthmel1's Homepage Send ruthmel1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do exactly the same ! its usually when I havnt enough yarn to finish a row. I knit faster hoping the yarn will last the lenght of the row!!

Black Cat Fibres
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5037783
http://soxandcinders.blogspot.com/
find me on Ravelry as Cinders
Go to Top of Page

Gwen in Bowmanville
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  05:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gwen in Bowmanville's Homepage Send Gwen in Bowmanville a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, too. But I think that I knit quicker in a vain hope that I'll get to the end before the yarn shop closes. Even when the ball in question has been marinating in my stash for a couple of years...
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3963 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  06:00:05 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So glad to read that others do this too.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

stitchellen
Warming Up

58 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile Send stitchellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So nice to know I'm not the only one!
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  08:56:12 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! I will try those next time!
Go to Top of Page

SallySue
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  3:03:44 PM  Show Profile Send SallySue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When my yarn is running low, I not only knit faster to complete the project before the yarn runs out, I have found it helps to stick my tongue out on the right side of my mouth between my lips. I have tried crossing my fingers but that interferes with my knitting!
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  4:01:16 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last weekend I read Milinda and Zola's comments about squeezing their yarn when it seems like it might run out before the end of the project. Then, when i was working on my poncho and thought I wouldn't have enough yarn, I found myself doing the same thing! Knit knit knit. Squeeze. Knit knit knit. I laughed and laughed.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

765 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  04:17:25 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit faster too. I glad I'm not alone. Donna
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

295 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  09:02:42 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do all that too! This is too funny!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.