Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Talking business
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  1:16:59 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you haven't read this article please read it and weep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/business/26nocera.html?scp=1&sq=joe%20nocera%20in%20prison%20for&st=cse

Kristina

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  07:52:23 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this article. Unbelievable--but my inner cynic is not surprised.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  08:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! This is very disturbing...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  11:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is about the IRS agent. Just how did he get all that time to investigate? Are we, as taxpayers, paying IRS employees to roam around looking into our lives, searching for just a hint that we might be doing something wrong. What is wrong with our Government that they would hire people in the IRS, to wander around town, looking for someone to harass and persecute. They don't have to bring a case against you, they can take your piece of mind and reputation away just by pick, pick, picking away at you. The IRS is no different than the SS of old. Why don't our government representatives do something about it? There have been those that tried to speak up and they got audited and had to hire CPA's and lawyers to defend themselves. No one is immune to the forces of the IRS, they have power beyond what you can immagine. Guilty until you spend all of your money defending yourself to prove your innocense.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  8:15:17 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mr. Engle claims that he never saw that $32,500 claim and never signed the papers. Indeed, a handwriting analysis conducted by the government raised the distinct possibility that Mr. Engle’s signature and his initials in several places in the mortgage documents had been forged. As it happens, Mr. Engle’s broker for that loan, John J. Hellman, recently pleaded guilty to mortgage fraud for playing fast and loose with a number of mortgage applications. Mr. Hellman testified in court that Mr. Engle had signed the mortgage application. Early this week, Mr. Hellman received a reduced sentence of 10 months, less than half of Mr. Engle’s sentence, in no small part because of his willingness to testify against Mr. Engle.

To me, that should have been the end of the case against the man. Period.

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING surprises me about Countrywide or Bank of America.

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

882 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  9:08:39 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by lella:

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING surprises me about Countrywide or Bank of America.

Yes, they seem to be real scofflaws! I closed my accounts of 20+ years with Bank of America last month; I wasn't comfortable with their business practices.

About Mr. Engle's case: I have faith in our jury system and I have to wonder whether Mr. Engle's defense lawyer presented his case as well as Joe Nocera does in his column. I'm pretty sure there will be more to come on this story.

flicka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?