Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Tracking patterns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  3:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helllllpp! I'm knitting a very complicated/detailed afghan that has pages and pages of knitting directions (several braiding techniques across each row). This pattern of 16 rows has to be repeated 8 times before I move on. I have a magnetic platform and a magnetic bar across the row showing which row I'm on. Every now and then this magnetic strip is knocked off the right row and I'm having an awful time finding that row again. I have had to rip out 6 or 7 rows at a time several trimes to find where I need to start again on the pattern.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a really good, surefire technique for keeping excellent track of the rows on a pattern?

Nothing is what it seems, nor is it otherwise.

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  3:16:30 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine uses a highlighter when she finishes a row. Perhaps you could make photocopies of the chart and highlight each row as you finish.
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Write the row number on a post it note and stick it on the pattern.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  4:55:17 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it takes you quite a long time to knit each row (which would be the case if I were knitting such a project), you could use that mildly sticky colored tape, like painters' tape, and place it under the instructions for that row. Painters' tape comes off without harming the surface, but you would want to do a test before using it on your actual pattern.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  5:51:35 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use post-its a LOT, but can move them a limited number of times before they quit sticking. I bought some of the newer extra sticky post-its (thinking the problem would be solved!) but have found no difference. In fact, when the pattern in in a plastic protective sleeve, those new post-its don't want to stick at all.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  02:24:33 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using a copy of my pattern, I pencil a check mark beside the row number as I start that row. For repeats, I just place more checks. Works great for me. Only hitch is if I forget to check in my zeal to move on, but I catch it before it's a problem. For some dishcloth patterns I use fairly often, I've even retyped them and inserted blanks to check off each repeat at the beginning of each row. Must take care in the typing, though, or you might invent a new pattern!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea. I have Photoshop and can do the same thing.

I LOVE your bags!

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  1:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Highlighter tape. I don't leave home without it. I've used the same piece through the charts of two full-sized shawls and it's STILL sticky. I even use it on patterns with written instructions, just so I can quickly see exactly where I am.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  6:17:34 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also use simple pencilled hatch marks, especially if a pattern has multiple
stitch patterns. For example pattern A which is a 6 row repeat, next to pattern B which has a 16 row repeat...
In that case I take a piece of paper and label column A, column B.
Then I place a pencil mark in each column as I finish that row.
I start a new line when I've completed the repeat for that pattern. This helps me keep track of which row of which pattern I'm doing.
It sounds complicated but it's not (except for remembering to mark it ;-) )
In Column A, each set of hatch marks will end at 8; in Column B with 16 marks.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  08:00:42 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the highliter tape. You can use it and reuse it. It comes in all diff colors. I have also used it thru a whole pattern and it is the only thing I use any more. You can get at staples and office depot. One roll last a long time. When I have a repeat of a pattern
I use safety pins. At the first row of the repeat I place a safety pin, when I get to end of repeat on the first row of seond repeat another safety pin and so on and so on.
They are light, stay in place, and easy to see. 6 repeats 6 pins, . Fran taught me this one. At the beg you take out the number of pins for the number of repeats, as the pins go on you wip the pins in line goes down.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds terrific!! I called all around (Staples, Office Max, etc.) and no one carries it here. I've just ordered 2 from the internet.

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up on highlighter tape! I'm going to check the local college bookstore -- sounds like something it would have. It also sounds like you don't need a whole lot of it.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

fabarts@silcon.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  10:58:21 PM  Show Profile Send fabarts@silcon.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use a stitch counter but do not click on it until you have the needles in hand ready to start the row.
Go to Top of Page

SooBee
New Pal

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  02:12:59 AM  Show Profile Send SooBee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just use an old fashioned notebook (A4 size, not sure what that is in the US, 8 x 11?) and write it all down in pencil, striking off as I go. A notebook with 'boxes' rather than plain lines is useful too. So for instance I'd write 1, 2, 3, etc. down the page in a line, place a line under the last number, then another set of rows (go up to 16 if it's a 16 row pattern), and just keep going. I am not keen on highlighter and tape can come loose.
Go to Top of Page

ebtlady1@aol.com

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  03:43:47 AM  Show Profile Send ebtlady1@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I write each row on an individudal index card. When I finish the row, I move the card to the bottom of the pile. Everything is always in order and I know which row I'm on. Works for me!
Go to Top of Page

Bookandyarn
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  03:48:16 AM  Show Profile Send Bookandyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use post it's for charts. I normally create my own chart ( you can print knitter's graph paper from online sources) if the instructions are written out. I've also written out each row instruction on separate 3x5 index cards, punched a hole in one corner, slipped a ring in the hole and made my own flip book. You flip a card after finishing a row and you will never lose your place.
Go to Top of Page

eroomje
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  03:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send eroomje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do what Technikat does; 2 sets of hash marks, denoting the row of the pattern and also the number of repeats. I also use the tape to help me see the row I am on. Be sure to put a copy of the pattern in a plastic sleeve before using the tape. If you use the plastic, pretty much any type of tape will work.

A friend writes out what she needs to knit: row 1, row 1, etc, the number of times it is repeated then the same the same for every row. Then, rather than adding a mark for each row, she highlights it. She can see what she has done and how much more is to be done. Not sure that made sense as written.

Ellen G. Moore
Go to Top of Page

singfasola
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  04:59:57 AM  Show Profile Send singfasola a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your magnetic ruler would be fine if it didn't fall off, right?
"Attach" one end of the ruler to the platform beneath with a binder clip. I don't have the magnetic ruler so I made a stand-in, using a clip-board, a thin 6" ruler, and a medium-size binder clip. So far it's been fail-safe.

I prefer this to using pens or markers because that pen/marker keeps disappearing, right when I need it! Also, it's one more thing to pick up.
Go to Top of Page

bettyboivin@yahoo.ca
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  05:10:39 AM  Show Profile Send bettyboivin@yahoo.ca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I write , in column form, the numbers of the rows,then if certain rows have a special pattern, say cables, I note this by the number, ex:1-cable. this works for me.

bettyb
Go to Top of Page

era253
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  05:12:05 AM  Show Profile Send era253 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used the hashmark method, the card method, the sticky tape method, and every other method mentioned. (I get lost a lot.) I now make photocopies of my patterns to check off rows, or retype the pattern with dashes in front of the rows to check off. I use the sticky tape for working on charts only. I love the tape (which I think you can only get online...Patternworks has it), but it does tend to take the ink off a page. So, using it multiple times over the same instructions is not a great idea. But, with a chart I use it for one row and move on. If my chart needs to be repeated multiple times, I make copies of it.

Evie
Go to Top of Page

jenesei@comcast.net
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  05:33:15 AM  Show Profile Send jenesei@comcast.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I invariably forget to make the marks, move the tape, click the stitch counter, etc., the only method that works for me is to mark the knitting itself. When working on a pattern that is hard to read in the knitting itself, I mark row 1 of the repeat with a stitch marker. (Row 1 of the repeat may or may not be the same as row 1 of the chart. It's easier for me to count the cable crossing row as row 1 for this method, for example.) If there are different row repeats across the row, I use a different marker for each. As for counting the number of vertical repeats, usually I can count them from the knitting, for example by counting the number of cable twists or completed motifs. If not, I will leave the stitch markers in place so I can count them vertically as they accumulate. I also spend some time analyzing the pattern and how the repeats relate to each other. Then I can have a mental rule, such as "every third time I begin pattern A, I need to begin pattern B,and pattern C is worked on every right-side row." My analytic skills are far better than my memory!

This method also works well for shaping rows and the dreaded "at the same time". I mark the shaping rows and leave the stitch markers in place throughout the shaping so I can count the number of decreases/increases quickly. And the method is good for taking your knitting with you, as you don't need to carry your magnetic board or other tools along.

Needless to say, I have a big stash of stitch markers!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?