Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Pattern alterations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katieelizabeth28
New Pal

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  03:53:30 AM  Show Profile Send Katieelizabeth28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there.
I am relatively new to the world of knitting machines but I absolutely love it! I cannot wait to make my own cardigan but unfortunately the sleeve lengths in every pattern that I have come across are too short for my unnaturally long arms. I was just wondering if there is an easy formula to alter sleeve lengths while keeping the tapered sleeve in proportion? Also do you recommend any programmes/softwares that might help me?
Regards, Katie

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  8:43:48 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Katie,
The theory would be to add rows between increases up the sleeve. (Or down, if knitting from the top).

You would have to figure out how many extra rows, by finding out how much longer you need the sleeves to be, versus the pattern. Figure out from your row gauge how many rows extra you would need to add.

Then look at how many increases/deacreases there are on the pattern. Figure out how to add the extra rows between the in-/decreases/ and you should have more or less what you need. You could go short on these additions, and add more rows at the top, before the armhole, but spread them out along the sleeve length too.

"More or less" is fine for stuff like this. You need the centimeters, rows give you the centimeters, add rows, but not all at once, up the sleeve. DONE!

Hope that helps. Have you read any Elizabeth Zimmerman? She helps give this attitude of "devil-may-care", so we need not be "blind followers of patterns".

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

ValerieG
Chatty Knitter

107 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile Send ValerieG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What eldergirl said is great.
There are lots of knitting software. I use DAK (Design-a-knit) but it is quite expensive. However I can connect the computer to one of my machines and it'll tell me when to increase/decrease all while doing a color/stitch pattern
There's Ileen's design a pattern -- (google Ileen -- hanibal MO)
there are several more.
You can use a spreadsheet also. (don't ask me how.. too much work for my brain)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe