Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Planned Parenthood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is interesting

http://www.blogforchoice.com/archives/2011/02/reps-speier-and.html

Kristina

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The right has been trying for years to make abortion unavailable even if it remains legal. They've been making a lot of progress in that direction. Very troubling.

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  4:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very troubling. I am really frightened at how the Right is trying to ruin women's rights in general.

M L
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  7:36:13 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and it astounds me. I think I thought that things were just done. Are the liberal gains from the 60's and 70's going to go completely!

I know we will fight back. I know it.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

879 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  10:23:55 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by eldergirl:
Are the liberal gains from the 60's and 70's going to go completely!

Anna, it isn't just the gains from those decades that are threatened. (I wouldn't even call them "liberal", maybe "populist".) The financial excesses of the Teapot Dome (1920's), the worker abuses brought to light by the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire (1911), the tainted food production written about by Upton Sinclair (1900's): these were addressed by brave, forward-thinking legislators whose work is now being undermined by a new generation of plutocrats. It is amazing to me that women's rights are also being undone, at a time when women actually hold some political power.

Honestly, I don't know what to do, short of going to Madison, Wisconsin for a sit-in. And I just might.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  10:48:04 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit I am stunned by what is happening, Flicka. I never thought in my lifetime I would see such things happening. All the hard work and it's as if Americans have the attention span of an afterdinner mint! What, we have to go through all that horror again?!?

M L
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

879 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kristina, I apologize for the thread-jack. Here is a link to a NYTimes editorial of today that speaks to the original topic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/opinion/26sat1.html?_r=1&hp

I agree with you, Milinda. It is stunning what losses we are seeing.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  11:30:19 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all Flicka. The whole topic is stomach-churning, and we need to be informed and speak up. Why do these Young Republicans hate women? It can't just be based on their misguided religious believes.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  9:25:12 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think that's exactly what it is Kristina, but they aren't alone in this.

I didn't think I'd live to see the day that Planned Parenthood would be attacked so viciously and thoroughly. PP does so much good outside of that one area that the far right extremists, and they are extreme for a democracy, are intensely focused! It's outrageous.

Women better fight back or our daughters and ourselves will be left with no recourse unless we can prove that we fought back hard enough when raped and impregnated or infected. This is so Medieval that it cannot be stood for!

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe