Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 I hurt my hand! Can't Knit!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  3:18:02 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really upset with myself. I fell this morning, & my right hand took the brunt of the fall. Pinky side is swollen, somewhat painful, stiff, turning bruise colors. Don't think it's broken, but will get X-ray tomorrow morning if not better. Weird typing using 2 fingers on right hand. Not up to my usual 100+ WPM. Very thankful it wasn't worse, though.

I can cope with little housework, having my son chauffeur me, etc., but NO KNITTING is the hardest part to take!

Marilyn
My Bags

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  3:32:16 PM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See you shouldn't be drinking without me my love.

Marilyn were you in the house? I know the boys will take good care of you. Hey, I hear you are getting up towards 80 degrees, how true is that? Maybe that is just in Charleston.

Take care, if you go see the Dr. let us know the results or I will send the hounds out.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OH, NOOOOOOOO!!! I am so sorry to hear this. You be careful and heed what Shaggy says about the drinking.

Seriously, I will keep you in my thoughts and send out vibes for your hand to heal ASAP!

M L
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who did you stumble over?

I almost fell a few weeks ago and no Shaggy I wasn't drinking I actually slipped while reaching toward the lid of my stash box. Caught myself with help of the chair, window and the stash before I fell. Was bruised on my arm and leg and hurt like the devil for a few days but I never returned to see if I had something in the stash to inspire me!!!

I'll try again this weekend. Take care Marilyn

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  5:36:22 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn maybe some anti inflammatory over the counter pill like Aleve every six hours would help with the bruising and the swelling. Seeing your doctor asap is also a good idea.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  04:41:09 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'all do make me laugh! Shaggy, I was outside with my yard friend who was washing my car; tripped over the blankety-blank hose. He heard me yell even over the vacuum. Fell on sidewalk. Stone-cold sober, darn it! Kristina, I took Aleve immediately, and it's doing the trick.

It feels better this morning. Swelling has spread, but much easier to move fingers than last night. Slept well with it in a brace and elevated. Finding some aches I didn't feel yesterday. Bruise and a little soreness on right jaw that kissed the pavement, tender left shoulder, etc., but none too awful. It is amazing me how many things you do without even thinking ... picking up my coffee pot or cup, closing a car door, using a fork ... But still able to do things like unload the dishwasher.

I guess I'll start up a couple of books I've been putting off. Maybe "Pillars of the Earth" (3rd time - love it!). Or maybe "Let Us Meet in Heaven," Civil War letters from a soldier who was in same unit as some of my relatives whom he mentions in the book.

Never wanted to knit so bad in my life!

And Shaggy, the weather here has been absolutely gorgeous this week. Barb, I have a fear of falling down and breaking something important! You be careful! Milinda, I'm feeling the vibes. Thank you, and keep 'em coming!

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
799 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  07:20:11 AM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, glad to hear you are feeling less banged up.
Hope swelling continues to diminish and you are moving around normally soon!
Yes, the mild weather has been delightful!
Evelyn

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Please take care and enjoy some reading time. If you are like me, you'll end up buying more yarn, too - that's what always happens to me when I can't knit.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  2:24:39 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Marilyn,

I fell in the garden a few years ago, and didn't knit for awhile either. Actually I was trying to fly out there. hehe

Hope that you didn't break anything in there. Keep us posted on what's going on, in the mean time, take it easy and do a little reading or whatever and be sure to ice the hand from time to time to keep swelling down.

Lella

Zippiknits

Go to Top of Page

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

390 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  12:22:36 PM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sympathize. Right now I can't knit either due to a tendon problem. Sadly, I'm prone to tendon problems and have had them before. The part that annoys me most is not knitting until it heals. Hopefully yours will heal quickly and you'll be knitting again very soon.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you better? It's tomorrow afternoon, Mertle... @**@ My ears are pricked up and listening.

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Lella. Yes, better today. Trying to behave myself doing genealogy instead of knitting. Swelling hasn't gotten bigger. Starting to really get some wild colors as the bruises surface. Fingers moving more easily, but wrist still not ready to knit. Bruise on jaw looks like somebody decked me! Right breast bruised (fell on that, too). I've really appreciated all the kind words and encouragement.

I fell again yesterday when my left knee gave way. Grrrrrrr! (I'm "only" 60, for heaven's sake!) Has been doing that for a while with no falling. Nothing hurt but my feelings. DH insists it's time to get it fixed. Will call doctor Monday.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  5:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I am a year younger and I know what you mean, it is too early to be falling this much. But in the interest of making all of you out there who fall feel better, I will share my experience which has me studying Tai Chi now for balance.

With nary a dog or cat in sight to blame, I fell down the stairs, bouncing on my butt and knocking my head until I landed in an untidy heap at the glass panel by the front door as if I were about to undergo an Ob/Gyn exam with feet in the stirrups. Thank goodness it was dark and nobody from our busy street saw and also, I am so glad nothing was broken. And fortunately, I was wearing underwear.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2041 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  7:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Milinda, you are so funny!

My right ankle/top of foot sometimes either gives way or gets a sharp pain and I almost go down. Scary feeling, especially when you live alone! I've considered getting one of those things you wear that you can push the button to call for help.

My Aunt Lucille and Uncle Leon lived in a ritzy closed community. When they moved in they were shown a button, on the wall, and told that if they pushed it help would both come and call. After a long time living there Aunt Lucille had forgotten what the button was for, so she pushed it! She was so humiliated she taped a sign by the button that said: "Panic Button".

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  06:36:11 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Milinda

Marilyn, I am a year younger and I know what you mean, it is too early to be falling this much. But in the interest of making all of you out there who fall feel better, I will share my experience which has me studying Tai Chi now for balance.

With nary a dog or cat in sight to blame, I fell down the stairs, bouncing on my butt and knocking my head until I landed in an untidy heap at the glass panel by the front door as if I were about to undergo an Ob/Gyn exam with feet in the stirrups. Thank goodness it was dark and nobody from our busy street saw and also, I am so glad nothing was broken. And fortunately, I was wearing underwear.

M L

Milinda, please send me your beautiful shawls that you have knit. I will tell Mr. Postman to look for them in a couple of days. Someone did see through the glass panel, Mr. Postman said he has no idea who sent the video to me.

Oh, BTW you have beautiful socks on, looks like Mountain Farms yarn or maybe Tosh sock?

Please don't think this is a bribe, I wouldn't do that, I know how I felt when Barb Cheerleader9 tried to bribe me with pictures that were taken a month ago, thank goodness her DH helped, the pictures were lost in cyber-space.

Marilyn, off to the doctor, get the knees checked.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

867 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  10:53:27 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch ouch ouch! I feel for you, Marilyn and Milinda. I am a truly clumsy person but so far have not taken a spectacular tumble. Now whacking my head getting out of my own car, that's my repeated accident. Hope you feel better soon, Marilyn, and Milinda, thanks for the wince and chuckle. I see Shaggy is taking care of you both so I will leave you in her tender care.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Please don't think this is a bribe, I wouldn't do that, I know how I felt when Barb Cheerleader9 tried to bribe me with pictures that were taken a month ago, thank goodness her DH helped, the pictures were lost in cyber-space.

He's still in the dog house for that We were both looking good too. You with your great haircut and me with my gift of a lovely scarf.

BTW Marilyn, Shaggy will do anything to get her mailman to the door
Send any packages to me instead.

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol Shaggy. Naughty! To the corner!

Shalee, lol! Your dear sweet Auntie is adorable! And yes, I want my sister to get one of those things, too. The thing you wear.

Oh Milinda, did I tell you that I tried to fly out of a raised flower bed about four years ago in April, and had to have a lot of metal installed in my wrist wing? Please, no more attempts to go flying down the stairs, ok?

Cheerleader, not you! heehee To the corner, and I'll be there shortly with scones and nice hot tea.

Ok, I'm done editing!

Mertle, I'm glad that you are getting better but dang it, stop falling!

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  8:59:03 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those things you wear to send an alarm that you are in trouble are starting to look mighty sensible to me these days!

M L
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  9:10:30 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a flying "thank you" to Marilyn, Melinda, Shaggy, and everybody else up there! I have been chortling for the last several minutes!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  04:14:29 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My parents are in assisted living, & Ma wears an alarm pendant 24/7. I don't think she has a clue what it's for! We tell her, but she forgets.

Milinda, I've pondered using the alarm we got for Ma when she was still at home. It calls 3 numbers & then 911 if no luck with first 3.

Still too sore for knitting. Folding clothes no fun, either. My guys are wonderful!

Yesterday Sean drove me to Michaels armed with a 20% off coupon for even sale items & $24 left on a gift card. Result was 2 bags full of Caron Simply Soft (for slippers) & 3 balls of Wool-ease for $1.85. We laughed that it was a lot for someone who can't even knit at the moment!

Have orthopedist appointment March 8, 9am.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by