Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Labeling of genetically modified food
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flicka
Seriously Hooked

877 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  4:51:50 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What has happened to the FDA? Does it no longer have the mission of protecting the consumer?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/why-arent-g-m-o-foods-labeled/?hp

flicka

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  5:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good article/op-ed piece. I thought the FDA was labeling or had plans to do so. Obviously, I was wrong.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  9:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine has purchased seeds for her garden. I can't remember what they are called, something like heirloom seeds or something. They are supposed to be seeds that have never been cross germinated or altered from the original plants of our grand parents or great grand parents era.

Unfortunately science is not always in our best interest.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  9:42:14 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have saved seeds from my garden forever and trade with people who have done the same. IMO, fruits and veggies that are "heirloom" quality have the best flavor but frequently are not shipped because they can't stand up to the process.

I grew a French melon last season that was beyond delicious, but so fragile, there is no way that would be grown and shipped all over the country. This is another reason I buy locally and support local farmers if I can't grow it myself.

M L
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?