Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 They Never Learn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:57:56 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The title of the thread is "They Never Learn" and became more general, so I kept it that way. Milinda brought up the hypocrisy issue and brought up some quaint notion of Canadian perfection. People all over have affairs, and that doesn't automatically make someone a louse. I hazard an educated guess a few KR posters have had one, going by stats.

Tie Domi having an affair was no surprise, and any fuss quickly died down. The politician in question stuck to her work and did a good job, deciding not to seek another term in office due to a cancer diagnosis. She has kept the successful business inherited from her father just that, a successful business and is a sought after speaker.

It makes no difference where politicians do their jobs, so long as they do them well. I focus on what they do in pubic, not who they snog in private.

These tempests in teapots amuse me because they tend to elicit holier-than-thou demands.

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  05:23:11 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Running for public office is voluntary and if you do you should take into account that every aspect of you life is going to be looked into. It might be too much to ask of your representatives to be perfect, but then they should not be so hypocritical. And it does say loads about their character. John Edwards is a sterling example.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  06:10:15 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kkknitter

Running for public office is voluntary and if you do you should take into account that every aspect of you life is going to be looked into. It might be too much to ask of your representatives to be perfect, but then they should not be so hypocritical. And it does say loads about their character. John Edwards is a sterling example.

Kristina

This

I don't care who they dinky D*ck.

shaggy

every dollar makes Betty smile

Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  06:41:30 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just do not understand how anyone could think they can send pictures on the internet and believe they will remain private. Surely, he must have known there was a risk. My heart goes out to his poor family.

I would NEVER want to be in politics for the very reason that every action can be photographed, televised, debated, and judged. His career will forever be tainted by this, if he has one left. I would think it would be hard for his wife to ever trust him again. And the kids at school will taunt his son with the words of their parents.

This should be a cautionary tale for anyone thinking of doing similar stupid things.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  07:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I am concerned, his infidelity is largely a personal issue between him and his wife - but honestly, he appears to be too stupid to hold a responsible public office! I mean, putting photos of himself on Craigslist, lying about his age, job and marital status? That's beyond picking up some girl in a bar, or a fling with a staffer or lobbyist - it's almost comically incompetent and juvenile.

This is right up there with Brett Farve texting some girl a picture of his junk - well gosh, what could go wrong?

Catherine
http://yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

882 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  08:14:14 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally published by mokey

I focus on what they do in pubic, not who they snog in private.

Oops, Mokey, spellcheck doesn't catch everything!

Thanks for setting my mind at ease about Belinda Stronach. It is good to know that just like everywhere else, millionaires who inherit their wealth land on their feet, no matter who is ground under their wheels.

flicka

Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kkknitter

And it does say loads about their character. John Edwards is a sterling example.

This.

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:31:00 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CatherineM

but honestly, he appears to be too stupid to hold a responsible public office! I mean, putting photos of himself on Craigslist, lying about his age, job and marital status? That's beyond picking up some girl in a bar, or a fling with a staffer or lobbyist - it's almost comically incompetent and juvenile.

And this.

........................................................................................................................
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. Antoine de Saint Exupery
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  1:48:56 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The title of the thread is "They Never Learn" and became more general, so I kept it that way. Milinda brought up the hypocrisy issue and brought up some quaint notion of Canadian perfection. People all over have affairs, and that doesn't automatically make someone a louse. I hazard an educated guess a few KR posters have had one, going by stats.

:: Mokey! You are notorious for making posts regarding how much better Canada does things in comparison to the United States, be it medical care, politics, you name it, you have pointed it out to us on numerous occasions and been called on it. By mentioning your penchant for doing such, well, that was me being tongue in cheek.

These tempests in teapots amuse me because they tend to elicit holier-than-thou demands.

:: We'll have to agree to disagree, Mokey. I stand by my distrust of someone who could be so thoughtless to a spouse and or children. I feel it says a great deal about character and integrity. It isn't that I care who they sleep with, but I do care about commitment and integrity and if said person cannot be trusted to be decent to his/her family, I have no illusions he/she will treat me any better. I do not think it is being "holier-than-thou," it's based on my experience with people.

M L
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  3:22:28 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have much more sympathy for Sanford than I have for the rest of these guys, despite the fact that he's one of these family values guys. I think he sincerely fell in love. He handled it badly, but at least it was something important to him, not a mere passing amusement/ego enhancer that caused him to do the damage he did to his family.

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have much more sympathy for Sanford than I have for the rest of these guys, despite the fact that he's one of these family values guys. I think he sincerely fell in love. He handled it badly, but at least it was something important to him, not a mere passing amusement/ego enhancer that caused him to do the damage he did to his family.

::I will agree with you on this, Mouse. I do believe he fell in love/became obsessed and oh, yes, indeedy did he ever handle it badly. But HOW he handled it is EXACTLY WHY he does not have the integrity to be in public office. To have put his own feelings in front of his obligations and to disrespect his family, his staff and the people he governed in such a way is not competent. Those are not the actions of a responsible leader; not the behavior of a secure, mentally stable adult.

Spitzer, Clinton and our "favroite," John Edwards, and all the others, they display an immature self-centeredness which makes me suspect their ability to do their jobs well. There is no privacy once you become public domain. Everything that goes out on the internet is public domain. To be so foolish as to think one could conduct oneself as one pleases without consequence is not reasonable, intelligent or valid and certainly lacks common sense.

M L
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  6:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A possible explanation as to why Lee resigned so quickly: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/25/chris-lee-transgender-women-craigslist_n_828476.html

Go to Top of Page

Janadanu
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  10:08:38 AM  Show Profile Send Janadanu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No they never learn. Mainly because they think they're "entitled" to it in the first place, and many of them view women as commodities instead of equal human beings. Politicians or gardeners, it's the same flawed mindset.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?