Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Bristol Palin gets paid $15,000-$30,000 per speech
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  3:05:44 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_ce74697f-8e28-57b3-9af0-cc0cb4c76733.html

My questions:

1. Apart from her mother's celebrity status, what qualifies Bristol to get paid $15,000 to $30,000 per appearance to speak on abstinence?

2. If abstinence is indeed a cause close to her heart, wouldn't she be willing to do it in exchange for travel expenses and perhaps some nominal fee? I mean, even at $1,000 a pop, she would be making a darn fine living for a high school dropout.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  3:08:25 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Goddess, please, make them go away!

Seriously, I would lecture for free on any of the topics I am passionate about if they paid my way there and I had a safe place to sleep.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  3:28:44 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that she is the opposite of qualified to talk about abstinence. It's pretty insulting to anyone (let alone the well-informed students at an elite university) to have her to tell them they should be abstinent, because having babies is hard. Maybe their student health center should give her a lecture on where babies come from and what to buy at the pharmacy to prevent these problems if abstinence is not the chosen option.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She can't spell it and she certainly isn't practicing it, so what makes her an expert. And paying her $20.000 is a joke. What were they thinking? Yes Milinda, please, make them go away.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you, Punctuatedknitter, it IS insulting.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  4:16:52 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just looked it up--she is also a high school dropout. So, if there are any women in the audience who had babies in high school (unlikely, but anything's possible), they managed to do what Palin has not: graduate high school and attend university.

Who invited her??
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  4:21:03 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The committee that makes plans for Sex Week. Now they're disappointed that the students weren't more "open-minded" about using their tuition money to pay Bristol's fee.

Seems to me that the students had every right to be upset about using their tuition money to pay a high school dropout unwed mother $15,000 or so to lecture them about abstinence.

........................................................................................................................
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. RFK
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1751 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  4:52:29 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A reminder, since it seems this has been forgotten already

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/13/us/13obama.html

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  5:05:20 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarnlover, thank you for the link. That said, I do not feel we are being uncivil. Being civil does not mean we cannot express our opinions. As long as we remain polite, do not call names then what is the problem? I see none. I will stand by my opinion: I wish the Palin family would be quiet. What was not civil about that?

M L
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  5:07:27 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My objection to Palin has nothing to do with politics. In fact, I don't consider her a political figure. I'm considering her, a grown woman, as an entirely different person than her mother, and criticizing her participation in an educational event as I would any other participant in an educational event.

Also, I'm not using violent imagery or language or even alluding to any necessary violence. I did not engage in slut-shaming or other anti-feminist rhetoric. I said it was insulting of whoever invited her to consider her an authority on matters that the audience understands better than she does. I'd say the same thing if Jenny McCarthy was invited to speak about vaccines at the medical school where I work.

Young women need good role models, not to be talked down to by celebrities.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  5:11:35 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say the same thing if Jenny McCarthy was invited to speak about vaccines at the medical school where I work.

Young women need good role models, not to be talked down to by celebrities.

Well said!

M L
Go to Top of Page

mouse
Permanent Resident

1442 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  5:24:45 PM  Show Profile Send mouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone called Bristol any names? Gee, I missed it.

As a bastard child myself, I don't care whether someone has a child in or out of wedlock. It's not, for me, a moral issue. I don't, however, think it makes her any more qualified on the issue of abstinence than the college students whom she would have been lecturing.

Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  6:20:49 PM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not noticed anyone being uncivil. To point out how totally absurd it is to ask Ms. Palin to speak to a college audience about abstinence is just pointing out how stuck we are on celebrities.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  7:03:03 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can summarize Ms. Palin's speech, and for only $2,000:

Don't be surprised if you date a teenage hockey player and get pregnant.

Please remit my fee via Paypal to smartass@heart

Brought to you by the tongue in cheek-y monkey
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  8:32:00 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

I can summarize Ms. Palin's speech, and for only $2,000:

Don't be surprised if you date a teenage hockey player and get pregnant.

Please remit my fee via Paypal to smartass@heart

Hahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaa! choke sputter.

M L
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1751 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  05:58:18 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read through the thread and found myself thinking that it wasn't very nice. If you don't agree, that's okay.

Just don't even see what the point of this is, if not to criticize. If you enjoy that, have at it, but don't complain about others who do the same thing.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3952 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  07:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the originator of the petition opposing Ms Palin's talk stated my opinion very well ""It's not necessarily in opposition to the ideas that are being presented," explained Philip Thomas, the Washington U. student who initiated the petition."People are getting so angry because of the opposition to Palin's lack of expertise and the high cost she is charging, especially in light of budget cuts that have adversely affected other student activities, he said.""

Times are tough financially and the students want their money spent carefully. Looking at who was substituted for Ms Palin, I think they got someone with expertise.

Who has a good stew recipe?

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  07:52:49 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do, and I'm working on it right now.
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  10:30:33 AM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarnlover, I see where you are coming from, but there is more to my posts than just being not very nice. Let me explain:

Women are often told they should be nice rather than express a strong opinion. It should be possible to be critical and to apply critical thinking skills. I consider it inappropriate to include personal attacks without substance, insults, and threats. On the other hand, it is perfectly appropriate to be critical of someone's behavior and ideas and to say that they are wrong or inaccurate and to provide reasons. Everyone is entitled their opinion, but I simply can't endorse the idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid, because they are not (see my Jenny McCarthy example). I will be critical of any attempt to provide poor and misleading education, especially at a high price, and to present an uninformed person as an expert, in an attempt to provide misleading information and/or make a profit.

Misleading information about sexual health is dangerous, actually genuinely life-threateningly dangerous, and I make no apologies for taking it seriously.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  2:13:28 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PunctuatedknitterI will be critical of any attempt to provide poor and misleading education, especially at a high price, and to present an uninformed person as an expert, in an attempt to provide misleading information and/or make a profit.

Misleading information about sexual health is dangerous, actually genuinely life-threateningly dangerous, and I make no apologies for taking it seriously.

Bravo! Anyone who deliberately puts themselves into the public eye and charges for speaking engagements must be able to justify his/her fees to clients.

I have to do it all the time, explaining to potential customers why my fee for writing web copy, speeches or articles is "what it is." Ms.Palin has to be able to handle the good with the bad, and nothing in this thread has been derogatory or in anyway a personal attack.

The students, exercised their rights as consumers and demanded a better quality product. Good for them.

If that were my school, I'd be ticked. That chunk of money could be much better spent funding student health clinics, a rape hotline, crisis centre or pregnancy/STD prevention.

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  3:42:29 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by yarnlover

I read through the thread and found myself thinking that it wasn't very nice. If you don't agree, that's okay.

Just don't even see what the point of this is, if not to criticize. If you enjoy that, have at it, but don't complain about others who do the same thing.

:: I have no complaints if someone criticizes, as long as he/she can back up WHY they are criticizing, if there is no slur or personal attack involved. What does "nice" have to do with speaking our minds as long as we are civil, there is no problem. I disagree with the money being spent on someone who is not qualified to be lecturing to students. She is a celebrity, nothing else. As Mokey pointed out, any person who is offering his/her services as an expert better have the credentials.

And as always, Kudos to Punctuatedknitter. For too long in my long lifetime, being "nice" was forced upon girl children rather than being taught to construct our opinions in a logical, intelligent fashion. I am entitled to criticize anyone who puts herself up as an expert if I do not feel said person is qualified as long as I present my argument intelligently.

Yarnlover, if you were not criticizing us for our opinions by stepping in and telling us we were criticizing, then what were you doing? We accept your opinion as just that, your opinion, and since you didn't do it with slander or personal attacks, your opinon is valid in my book. If you don't see our point, fine. Civil discourse in action. No problem.

I will admit that one could perceive my statement that I wished the Palins would all go away and be quiet as flip, but I have that type of sense of humor. Since I was not being vulgar or cruel, merely stating in a humorousto me fashion that I wished the media and the Palins would give us a rest, well, if it offends you, so be it. But my intention was sincere and I was not wishing death upon them or any violence.
M L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.