Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Combination knitting and pattern instructions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NettiePur
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile Send NettiePur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have tried to convert to what I guess is called standard Continental knitting from the way I was originally taught, which I have discovered is called combination or combined knitting. I have read about the adjustments I should make when decreasing, i.e. the ssk and k2tog. The afghan I plan to make is a "fan lace" pattern with
lots of k2tog and yo. I'm wondering if the "lace" will look nice using combination knitting without "adjustments:". Well, you probably can't tell me! I'll just have to experiment!

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  11:54:36 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends.

If the lace is worked on a garter st bachground, knitting back on the wrong side, the direction of decreases you do will not matter much.

If the lace is worked on a stockinette background, purled back on the wrong side, the direction of decreases you do makes a lot of difference.

When I knit I don't think of k2tog or SSK, I think right leaning and left leaning. Until you get the hang of translating you may want to make a copy of the directions and change each k2tog to right leaning and each SSK to left leaning. I find working with charts easier. / is right leaning decrease, \ is a left leaning decrease. This way whether you knit combined, continental, English, or Portuguese, it doesn't matter. The intent is clear.
Go to Top of Page

NettiePur
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  3:07:45 PM  Show Profile Send NettiePur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
socks4all,
Thanks. My pattern is on a stockinette background, so I will need to think left-leaning, right-leaning. I have trouble doing ssk; any suggestions for making it easier?
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  3:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
www.knittinghelp.com has great videos for assistance!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe