Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Clara at Vogue Knitting Live
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kipster
Seriously Hooked

740 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  1:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kipster's Homepage Send Kipster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, what time and where will you be doing book signings? I know you'll be at the Knitty City booth. What day and what time? I want to make sure to say, "Hi!"

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/

Ravelry: McMary

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  2:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be so nice to see Clara again, the KR retreat seems so far away!
I'm signed up for her lecture on Sunday and I'm sure it will be very instructive.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Patshere
Chatty Knitter

176 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  6:10:17 PM  Show Profile Send Patshere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I were able to be there...hope you all have a wonderful time reconnecting and meeting new friends too.
Go to Top of Page

Amarula
Chatty Knitter

215 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  4:25:41 PM  Show Profile Send Amarula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to her lecture on Sunday too!
Go to Top of Page

rosir
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  12:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit rosir's Homepage Send rosir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara's new State of the Yarn lecture is one of the smartest, most insightful, thought provoking hours available. I took 4 fabulous classes at VKL, with Nancy Bush, Jared Flood, and Anne Hanson, but Clara's lecture brought the entire weekend into focus and has given me a new appreciation for the word, "mindful", as it applies to my beloved pass time. If you don't know this already, we are truly privileged to be a part of Clara's community here at KR.
I saw Mary, Noreen, Meg, Tree, Robert, Elizabeth, Minh, Poppy, Wendy, Leslie, and of course Clara. I know Pam, Nanci, Sandy, and Marie were there, but I missed them. Also ran into the two Stitchuary girls, and ran into them, and ran into them, and ran ......funny ladies.
If I forgot anyone, please forgive.

Rosi
Go to Top of Page

Kipster
Seriously Hooked

740 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kipster's Homepage Send Kipster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never did get to see Clara. But I did see other Retreaters--Rosi, Lynn, Sandy, Jacqui, Wendy, Noreen, Tree and Susan. Saturday, I was resting in the lobby for the few minutes I had between a lecture and a class and saw the KRR ladies who lunch running past. I had no energy to run after you all!

Mary
http://snitnknit.blogspot.com/

Ravelry: McMary
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  12:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what a weekend! It was such a pleasure to see my beloved KR friends - although I am bereft that I missed Mary.

Rosi, I'm so pleased that you found such meaning in my talk. That's extremely gratifying to hear, and I'm honored. As the person standing in the front of the room with no microphone for magnification or podium for support, seeing that row of my favorite KR faces was simply wonderful. Thank you guys for coming!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  3:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want a transcript! A YouTube! A podcast! A Post-It? Anything?

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I may or may not have included the words "there once was a yarn from Nantucket" somewhere near the beginning. But that's all I'm saying.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mary, I thought it mght have been you! But you know that nothing comes between me and the marketplace, I especially wanted to get my hands on a copy of Vintage Modern Knits and get it autographed by both authors.

Clara was just amazing, so many things I didn't know about the knitting industry, its components, the inner turmoil, and where it might go! I was a good student and took notes during the lecture, Rosi can attest to that!

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  11:00:35 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3,000! That is an amazing number. I'm so glad to be part of this wonderful community, and especially to have seen so many KR friends! I've spent my spare moments over the last few days playing with my new yarns (one from Solitude and three from Blue Moon). I have 3 washed and blocked BFL swatches sitting next to me as I write, and will be starting Tempest by Ann Weaver tomorrow (possibly with a few minor modifications).

Clara, if you have a suggestion for 240 yds of Clun Forest w/Alpaca (sport/dk) please let me know. I just can't settle - Foxgloves are pretty high on my list though! I made a pair for a friend and have a little Foxglove envy...

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

cashgoradesign
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile Send cashgoradesign a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, i was so looking forward to meeting you at VKL but market duties kept me from the pleasure. Still, the weekend was beyond fabulous and next year promises to be even better as they work out the small kinks. Regina
Go to Top of Page

WinSip
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile Send WinSip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the presence of Vogue on Facebook had an impact to the numbers at VKL.
Go to Top of Page

babsbnz@aol.com
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile Send babsbnz@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Clara! I WAS there, attended four classes, the "Purls and Prosecco" reception, the Awards Dinner, AND your wonderful lecture on "The State of Yarn"....and suggested you be nominated for Sainthood, at least for us knitters. It was a great time, although I think the lighting at the Marketplace was terrible in some spots. My New Year's resolution to not buy any yarn this year officially lasted 20 days :) Oh, well. It was a great time, and an honor to meet you!!
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really jealous, on the other side of the continent...but it sounds so wonderful, it's great to hear about it and dream. At least my Xmas present "Book of Wool" parcel will show up any day.
Sandra
Go to Top of Page

kewpiedoll99@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile Send kewpiedoll99@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I probably would have felt differently if I'd taken a class or two (or more) but I only went for one day of the marketplace and honestly I thought it was a colossal rip off. The marketplace was underwhelming and the arrangement of it into two donut shaped rooms where you couldn't even see the whole room you were in, much less the entire marketplace, was mentally limiting. There were a relatively small selection of booths, and there wasn't even a map of the marketplace, that I could find. In contrast, I was at Stitches East this past fall, and the marketplace there was amazing! Compared to that, this was really kinda meh. It cost me $20 plus $26 parking and I felt bored before an hour was up. I do not intend to do that again.
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  09:22:21 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, it sounds like I missed a great lecture, Clara, and reading all of the comments here, it would have been so informative and inspiring.....way to go, and maybe one of these days I'll hear you speak about all things knitting (and, of course, any other subject that tickles your fancy).

Rosir, the 4 classes you took sound like a perfect fit for me but alas, I didn't make it, however, it's great to read about you and the others who went and not only had a good time, but came away a better and more informed knitter. Tell me more about Jared Flood's class, how was he as far as teaching and getting across his info, etc.?

Knit On, Patience

Crochet Me A River

Faith, Hope, Charity & Yarn Snippets

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally appreciate your honesty about what it was like for a day visitor who only came for the market. I heard a blend of grumblings and praise that was hard to decipher - the escalator thing definitely peeved a few people, especially vendors on the second floor, who feared a lack of traffic. The layout also was interesting, a bit tighter than other shows, and with spatial demands that kept you from seeing the full space. I want to say that they had the same number of vendors as Stitches, or comparable, but the space definitely gave it a different feel. I only had a limited time in the market, but I sort of enjoyed the feeling of turning corners and discovering yet more booths. But again, that was just my experience, and a brief one.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a p.s. to babsbnz, thank you for the chuckle! I'm glad you enjoyed my talk.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

300 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  10:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also a day visitor. My day was terrific! Being from NJ, I was able to drive in, with PamB-good company, and we split the costs. I found an online coupon for ($20) all day parking right across the street from the hotel, and so with Tolls (EZPASS) and gas (my husband gassed up my car ), it was less than the costs of the train or bus and taxi and we had control of our schedule. We met our KR sisters for lunch and laughed while we ate and caught up. Totally worth the cost. The market? Yes, it cost me $20 as I didn't take any classes, but aside from the horrible lighting, I talked to some wonderful people, especially, Marly from Bijou Bason, who had the best set up of them all (they had a seating area set up w/coffee/tea and swatches of all their yarn on needles for all to knit and experience). They have mostly been an online resource for those of us NorthEasteners, so that was a great experience to have. I saw Debbie Bliss, Ysolda Teague, our Clara, Meg Swanson,etc, and had a book autographed for a friends daughter! Many of the vendors seemed a bit overwhelmed by the crowds, but everyone I spoke to was helpful,friendly, and knowledgable. Maybe because I have worked trade shows, I understand that sh** happens, and especially being their first, there are many unknowns that pop up.
Of course, I expect the next event to be better, and I am optimistic it will be.

One thing I will do differently next time is prepare ahead and have a project in need of Solitude yarn. I was rendered incapable of choosing a yarn without a plan and so bought nothing there . That won't happen again!

'til next time,
Nanci

Go to Top of Page

babsbnz@aol.com
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile Send babsbnz@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the quantity and quality of the yarns at the Market Place were very disappointing, especially for "Vogue" knitting's fashionable image and NYC as the location! Also the lighting was atrocious in some of the vendor areas. Let's hope the next one is much higher calibre....and wattage!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?