Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Knittnig charts/graphs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  6:51:35 PM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I've started working on my first knitting chart for a rather complicated pattern. I've already unravelled it 4 times because I have to keep flipping pages to see what the symbols mean. Are there any tips and tricks to keeping a chart well organized and easily readable?

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  8:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't be afraid to play with your photocopier and scissors. If the symbol key isn't on the same page as your chart, copy what you need and put it where you can see it. Blow charts up big enough that you can read them. Use highlighter on squares that are trouble spots or where you need reminders to pay attention.

My personal favorite thing is called highlighter tape. I've had no luck locating it at office-supply stores, but some LYS carry it. It's the same adhesive as post-its. Fold both ends over by a quarter=inch so you can easily move it. Place the tape over the row ABOVE the row you are working on - so you can see exactly what row you are on. Move it up each row. It makes a big difference.

But really - once you own the pattern, it's yours to make usable. I don't like having to turn mine into arts-n-crafts projects, but sometimes you have to. HTH.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

582 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  8:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh - and I forgot - stitch markers. Don't hesitate to use them to set off sections of the chart. They help you easily see if you are where you belong.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2049 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  11:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will find that the more you work with the symbols the more you remember what they mean. You will have your standard knit symbol and purl symbol. The symbols for the k2tog and ssk are usually slashes ie: "/" or "\" which I read, in my mind, as forward or backward. The O is normally a yarn over.

You will get used to them. It really makes it easier to follow your pattern.

Yes, use stitch markers. They are great if you are doing a round or row that has complete identical sections that you repeat.

As you are getting used to the pattern you might consider inserting a life line to prevent dropping stitches several rows down. Also, once you know a row is right you could put a life line in so you know it is correct to that point.

We all have our own ways of doing things. Some will work for you, others won't. I use a magnet instead of highlighter tape, but that is the way I've always done it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try the highlighter tape.

One last thing, use a copy of your pattern. I never use the original to work from because I make notes as I go. If I want to use the pattern again and again I can always start with a clean working copy, write on it the date started & finished, who it was for, yarn used - - - you get the idea.

Enjoy your knitting!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  07:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shalee

You will find that the more you work with the symbols the more you remember what they mean.

Couldn't the knitters of the world unite to define ONE set of symbols that's used by eveybody? It seems to work for crochet... But in knitting there's different sets of symbols used by different U.S. publishers, and in other countries there's still more of them. I want an international, unified code of knitting symbols! Who's with me?

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  08:20:26 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm for sure with you. Often I have to ask my husband for help to decode symbols. An Iphone/Ipad application with unified international symbols for knitting would be great.

Kristina

--kk

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkknitter/
Go to Top of Page

Hudakore
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  09:07:04 AM  Show Profile Send Hudakore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: So far I've successfully completed 5" of a 21" strip. I've found that, much like crochet, you begin to memorize the pattern and can "read" the sts below the row you're working on. I will be making several hats and scarves from a book using all graphs and I definately will be making larger copies of the graphs and putting some of my own "proofmarks" in, plus coping the instruction symbols and their meanings on the same page. The magnets and sticky strips are also VERY helpful. Thank you all for you suggestions. I wish there was a way to upload some of my work for you all to see.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  09:36:40 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is. Get a flickr account and link it to your signature at KR. Mine is below.

Kristina

--kk

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkknitter/
Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  2:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say in my experience crocheter do NOT use uniform symbols. What is a treble crochet for a British pattern is not the same as a double crochet for an American patter. I do however agree, it would be much easier of there was some consistancy. There is no consistancy in the written knitting/crochet instructions, nor in where the turn signals, window controls, seat adjusts are in cars or almost anything made by multiple manufacturers. Programming microwave ovens or alarm clocks of different makes drive me crazy. What is logical for me is not always logical for others. I think having to "decode" instuction, charts, etc makes life interesting and keeps the mind active.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe