Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Pear Tree Yarn Supersoft 8-Ply
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  7:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last week I waxed poetic about the munchy, crunchy wools of the world - but lest you think I'm saying anything soft is terrible, I needed to set the record straight. This week I look at a noteworthy product from the super-soft side of the fence - it's called, quite fittingly, Supersoft 8-Ply and it comes from Pear Tree Yarn in Australia. Enjoy!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

pnrichkus
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile Send pnrichkus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought 2 skeins of the 10-Ply and can't wait to get it made up into some small self-indulgence. "Soft" hardly describes this wonderful Australian yarn. Thanks, Clara, for filling in the blanks.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure KR has some members whose summer will be ending soon who will be glad to find out about a lower carbon-footprint yarn. The swatches always look so tempting!
Sandra
Go to Top of Page

chingachgook
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  5:23:41 PM  Show Profile Send chingachgook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to whether this yarn is "optim"-ized or not. My spinning adventure with Optim was okay, for a very fine laceweight yarn, but I'm skeptical about DK or worsted weight without that inherent fiber crimp normal to a merino. On the other hand, that sure sounds like a combing and spinning job done to perfection! Wow. Four inch fiber length in a commercially prepared yarn!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

romidesigns
Warming Up

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  1:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit romidesigns's Homepage Send romidesigns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this yarn at TNNA and it is stunning! They are also coming out with a new cashmere that is simply the softest yarn I have ever felt. It is very high quality yarn and definitely worth the price!

-Romi
---------------
author, 7 Small Shawls to Knit
purveyor of shawl pins
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  6:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I have stayed away from Pear Tree yarns so far is that I saw a couple of skeins at a yarn store and there was pilling on the skeins already. (Obviously, it wasn't spontaneous pilling! It was probably due to a lot of loving fondling from fellow knitters...)

Clara, could you tell us the pilling of Pear Tree compare to Swans Island Merino? Because I like the latter though it pills so I might be convinced to invest in a sweater shaver and some Pear Tree yarn :)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  12:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 skeins of 4ply sitting there ready to be made into a shawl.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by