Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 NEEDLES DISCOLORING YARN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FancyIdeas
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit FancyIdeas's Homepage Send FancyIdeas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!
I’m working on a lace-stitch mini afghan, using DMC cotton perle thread in an ivory or ecru color – on #0 BRASS lace Addi needles. But – something strange is happening. My cast-on sts look like the light color of the thread – but within 4-5 more rows, the thread has taken on a light gray cast that is fairly distinct under my Ott light. I know that the knitted fabric will tend to look darker than the thread on the spool, because the texture of the knitting casts shadows – but these gray areas (as I continue to knit) look ‘dirty’ in comparison to the cast-on and 1st row.

The knitted fabric also has a distinct smell – very metallic – compared to the yarn (which has very little odor). My husband and son ‘double-checked’ this metallic odor, and agreed with me (though I did not tell them what I thought I had smelled.) I assume that the outer coating of the needles is rubbing off onto the yarn. I note that the needles are supposed to be coated, to keep this from happening. I have only had them about 6-8 months – and have not knitted with them very much – perhaps 2-3 miniature sweaters (about 2” tall).

I have made 3 starts on this afghan – and each time the thread begins to darken after 3-4 rows. It reminds me of the ‘residue’ that will wipe off galvanized wire or nails. I took care that my hands were clean, without any residue of hand lotion, etc

I am a lace knitter – and really disappointed about this. In starting and re-starting this knitting, I have wasted a lot of time – and yarn.

I emailed Addi about this yesterday, but of course haven't heard a reply yet. Does anyone have a solution? I know a lot of mini knitters use the steel needles - so there must be a solution for this!

BTW - I did clean the needles with a green scrubby and soap - but that didn't help.

Thanks!
Linda G.

arlinem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  7:47:49 PM  Show Profile Send arlinem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could very well be a coating that has been put on the brass but brass does smell when heated as when you hold the needles for a length of time; it smells like an old-time radiator. Brass also discolors when it's handled. It's oxidation so I'm not surprised that it may have discolored your yarn nor am I surprised that you can smell the brass smell. I've never used brass needles for any knitting so I really have no solution for you but if you're are particular about your work, I would say don't use them again and count this as a tough lesson.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  2:55:13 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used the Addi Lace needles since they were first introduced and never had a problem. There are some people whose body chemistry interacts with the brass tips and that is likely what is going on with the discoloration.

My experience with Addi is that they are very good at getting back to inquiries, so you will hear back from them.

Scrubbing the needles with an abrasive is probably not a good idea as nothing is going to change your body chemistry interacting with the brass.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  4:16:20 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to agree with maribelaprn regarding your personal chemistry. And as for Addis, they are excellent folks who stand by their product. They will get back to you, of that I have no doubt. You just may be one of those people whose chemistry will not allow them to use these particular needles.

M L
Go to Top of Page

donnaruth
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  08:51:31 AM  Show Profile Send donnaruth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the "I can't use addi lace/brass needles" club. I too have the same problem with the discoloration. I discovered it while knitting with white silk/wool yarn. I contacted Addi and they told me to use Bar Keepers friend to clean the needles. It worked like a charm but of course everytime I use the needles the same problem reappears. I have too many pair of the older addi lace/brass needles that I can no longer use. I can't wait to see what solution you are offered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe