Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Foxy Foxen Sheep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  5:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We hear all this talk about Merino, and perhaps Shetland, Icelandic, and Bluefaced Leicester, but when was the last time someone waxed poetic about a yarn from the hills of Germany?

When I was teaching at Knit Nation this summer, I met a woman who did wax so poetically. She'd come all the way to London, on her birthday no less, so she could be with other knitters and learn more about wool. At the end of the class, she handed me two prototype skeins and began talking.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago when I received two more skeins, this time as the final, shipping product. For that woman, named Danica, it was the fulfillment of her own dream to produce something truly local. The yarn is from a rare breed called the Coburg Fox, and here's the review.

I hope you enjoy!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

pnrichkus
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  05:53:55 AM  Show Profile Send pnrichkus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link for Swatch Mitt not working.
As usual, a treat to get your Review. Keep it up, thank you. And Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  07:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fixed, fixed, fixed - so sorry! Here 'tis.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

juliannking@yahoo.com

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  07:34:34 AM  Show Profile Send juliannking@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review. I am currently making a sweater out of a jacob fleece from a pet sheep that is a friend's pet sheep. Yes, it is a little coarser than most would want in a sweater. But like you mentioned in your review, there is so much to learn from different textures. I am loving the "feel" during the spinning of the yarn, and the knitting is different than most sweaters from commercial yarns that are soft. I am happy that I took the plunge and decided to try something different.
Go to Top of Page

materavis
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  08:12:38 AM  Show Profile Send materavis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds perfect for mittens thrummed with merino on the inside. They'd be both warm and long-wearing.
Go to Top of Page

JulyGrrl

USA
Posted - 01/06/2011 :  09:18:02 AM  Show Profile Send JulyGrrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great review. Question: is it a typo where you have written Coburn instead of Coburg a couple of times?
Go to Top of Page

mhyarn
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhyarn's Homepage Send mhyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your reviews are so enjoyable to read. Even if they weren't educational - which they are; they make the yarns, tools or whatever so inviting. Thank you for keeping us informed and open to all the parts of the knitting world.

Barb from Marr Haven Wool Farm
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came, I clicked, I ordered. Thank you for pointing out this rare beauty, Clara!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  11:37:56 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This swatch and Clara's description this time has me especially excited. I'm going to have a sober second thought before I order--and think of some pattern ideas for it, even if I change my mind later. The lambs are super cute too
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/coburgerfuchsschaf/index.htm
sorry I'm not good with linking in my posts. Can anyone learn me good?
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worked that time-ooops
Sandra
Go to Top of Page

lepeterson
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile Send lepeterson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for this article. I got back into knitting in a serious (read "obsessive") way when I discovered Marr Haven (and how great to find a posting from Barb Marr here too). When that box came and I opened it to that farm-y smell, I was back home and a kid again--and I was hooked. I've since fallen for the soft yarns and such, but I keep my eyes out for the rustic yarns, the ones that are still close to the hoof.

I'm so glad to learn of this wool and this sheep and the effort to keep it with us on the planet. I'm also very gald for this essay that sings as it extolls variety and diversty in wool--and the special pleasures of the rustics (for lack of a better word). Nice work!!
Go to Top of Page

LiatMGat
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  7:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit LiatMGat's Homepage Send LiatMGat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The yarn looks delicious in that bright pink! Gorgeous!

Liat
http://knitfreedom.com
Go to Top of Page

mertle
Permanent Resident

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  04:12:01 AM  Show Profile Send mertle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent this review to a dear knitting friend spending a year in Germany. She's about an hour & a half from where this is made and is already planning a road trip! I told her to take lots of pics. Sure would love to go along.

Marilyn
My Bags
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  06:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to add for all the spinners here: Coburger Fuchs (which is the German name) is also a wonderful fibre to spin - very easy. And easily available from German fibre suppliers.

And, by the way, a very similar wool is furnished by the French Solognote breed.

So many wools, so little time...

Happy spinning and knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  07:07:03 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the resurgence of "artisan" meats and direct to restaurant marketing etc; I think we may see a comeback of the dual purpose breeds - premium meats and the wool done up as designer yarns.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a frustration! I will finally, after several years, have the discretionary income to buy yarn but will have significantly less time and energy to knit it up. My current stash, small as it might be, is still more than I can knit in a year.

Still, now that I am knitting mostly Continental, my speed has improved. What a happy type of dilemma, though! So much nicer than wanting yarn and having no money (not for sweaters, anyway!).

Thanks for the great review. I do like my spending, when possible, to actually support individual/small business efforts as opposed to large conglomerates.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts

Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Es gefällt mir sehr gut-Deutsch Wolle!
I am very pleased-German wool!

Schön ist, was gefällt.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I love the "crunchy" wools!
Go to Top of Page

MargieR
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  3:10:56 PM  Show Profile Send MargieR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried felting this wool? It sounds like it might be great for felted bags and outerwear.

"If there was a military solution to terrorism, Israel would be the safest nation on earth." Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Clay2Yarn
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Clay2Yarn a Yahoo! Message Send Clay2Yarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,

As always, I enjoyed your review.
Do you think Foxen Sheep would work for knitting Guernseys?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  7:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried felting it yet, but I DO think it'd be lovely for Guernseys. Of course I'd swatch first, and wash the swatch, to make sure that you liked the stitch definition all the way from start to finish...

Clara
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.