Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Quick fix for "snaggy" circs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to use some Prym (Inox) circs (I believe they have the best point of all) for my lace shawl, but the yarn snagged so badly on the transition from cable to needle (only on one side - something must have happened to the needle, it looks almost chewed-on) that I couldn't. So I ordered replacements.

And then (typical for me) I thought of smoothing the joint with nail polish. I slathered some on (clear top coat), let dry for an hour or so, and it works a treat! I'm sure it will hold at least till the replacements arrive.

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:10:50 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, aren't you clever! I LOVE clever and you, my dear, get the prize today. I will keep it in mind should I ever run into this problem.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that great tip. I have used an emery board to smooth burrs on the needle part, but never found a good solution for snaggy joins. Will definitely try it the next time the need arises!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Colorgalore
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  06:59:48 AM  Show Profile Send Colorgalore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!
Go to Top of Page

BastetG4
Chatty Knitter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  10:08:17 AM  Show Profile Send BastetG4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a set of Inox with a snag at the join only on 1 side as well. I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

--
I'm getting comfortable with ripping.
Go to Top of Page

churchlady
Warming Up

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile Send churchlady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've got some Inox mixed in with my Dollar Store circs--the 2mm to 3mm sock ones I needed two at a time. Don't the Prym/Inox ones have a matte grey colour? I've often been knitting a sock when one needle had imperceptable joins and the other was lumpy and bumpy! I suppose there's nothing to lose in trying to repair either broken, chipped, or just cheap needles--even if they did cost more than mine at $2.15 Canadian, if they snag the yarn, or every stitch has to go over its speed bump individually, how much are they worth right now?
Go to Top of Page

jamieknits
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  2:02:07 PM  Show Profile Send jamieknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love your suggestion and will try it next time I end up with a snag. I've tried using an emery board to smooth joint snags and rough spots on the needles themselves, but never have been happy with the results. On more than one occasion, sanding a problem area enough to smooth the surface weakens it sufficiently that the needle breaks off in my hands.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

LiatMGat
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LiatMGat's Homepage Send LiatMGat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great suggestion! Let us know how it holds up!

Liat
http://knitfreedom.com
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  06:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Church lady - yes, Inox (seems to be the previous (name of the) manufacturer - today the packaging says Prym. IF they are the same - they sure look very similar) are a matte grey colour and not ultra slippery. And the tip is a lot sharper than that of the Addi Turbo - I'd say as sharp as Addi Lace. I paid Euro 5.50 for 150 cm in 2 and 2.5 mm in Germany - that's about the same price as for Addis (yep, I was slightly surprised as well. But then so far I don't notice any difference in quality.)

I had also tried to file the joint smooth, but it didn't quite work. As for nail polish durability, you'll have to experiment for yourself because my new needles (Prym and Knitpicks) arrived yesterday, so the old ones are retired.

Bye, Klara

Go to Top of Page

luvcelticknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile Send luvcelticknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently bought myself a set of ADDI CLICK needles. I love knitting with them. I have not problems with the cables or needles at all! I would recommend them to anyone.
Go to Top of Page

pmcyarns
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  08:03:46 AM  Show Profile Send pmcyarns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the joint opened a bit on my interchangeable circulars when I tightened the joint a bit too vigorously. I hadn't realized I could do that.
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1436 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  05:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all in favour of interchangeable needles but they don't come in 2.5 mm!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?