Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Lendrum- spinning & plying questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robyn Becker
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  5:44:03 PM  Show Profile Send Robyn Becker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a new lendrum spinning wheel and have some questions that I hope someone can help with.

What is special about the plying head-Does it just hold a larger bobbin? I bought an accessory kit with the spinning wheel that has an additional head with a large orifice. Is this the plying head?

Not sure when to change heads to the fast flyer- can anyone explain when to use what ratio?

I've read the posts about bobbins - can anyone suggest how many I should keep on hand? In just a short period of time I have amassed different rovings and I can see that this will easily expand. Just want to understand how to budget and how many to order.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.
Happy new year!
Robyn (aka RocknRobyn on ravelry)

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not have a Lendrum, so I'll leave those question for people who are more competent. But I can you advise on the bobbins: They are like storage space in the house - it doesn't matter how much you have, it always fills up. If you are an organized person who works on one project and finishes it and only then starts the next project, 4 normal-sized bobbins should do. 3 might do in a pinch, if you use the plying head for plying (as far as I know it has a bigger bobbin - but also a lower ratio which is why certain spinners feel it should be called a bulky head, as for plying we normally want higher speeds). (Actually, a single bobbin would suffice if you wound your spun singles off on to some "storage bobbins" - weaver's bobbins, or empty toilet paper rolls - and plied from those. But I'll deny ever having said that ;) ).

Normally I want 3 bobbins to hold my singles (so I can do a three-ply) and one bobbin to spin onto. Thus 4 bobbins. In actual fact I have two Kromski wheels (identical bobbins) with 6 bobbins each - i. e. 12 bobbins total - and I seem always find an empty bobbin when I need on. But I've found out how to avoid leftovers when plying. And I do not think that one should spin all the singles before starting to ply. I spin just enough so I can ply, so my bobbins get emtied regularly. I also have another wheel which I ordered with 6 bobbins and that seems to be enough as well (but then I don't use this wheel as much as the Kromskis).

Really, it's up to how much money you want to spend...

Happy spinning! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Robyn Becker
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  11:29:23 AM  Show Profile Send Robyn Becker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks much for your insights.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you like your Lendrum, Robyn!

The larger bobbin and head is indeed the plying head. Larger plying heads are great because they don't require you to make as many breaks in the yarn when you ply, since you can fit more yarn on them. So if you're making two-ply yarn from two full bobbins, all of that plied yarn is likely to fit on the larger bobbin in the plying head.

The fast flyer is great for spinning thin yarn, like light fingering or lace weight. Using fast ratios allows you to get lots of twist into your spinning quickly, which generally produces a thinner yarn. You'll really need to play around with your drafting, treadling speed, take-up, and ratios to see what feels right for you as you spin. There are some great educational videos on youtube for wheel spinning, so I'd recommend checking them out.

I've had my Lendrum for a few years and haven't bought any additional bobbins. If you just need storage bobbins in addition to those that are fitted to your wheel, there are lots of cheap options open to you. If you do decide to transfer singles from your wheel's bobbins to storage bobbins, be careful not to over-tension the singles and make them less springy.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe