Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Resolutions for the New Year?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  10:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a few more days before 2010 draws to a close, and I'm starting to think about how I'd like the New Year to take shape. I know that we all do things differently, and that some folks think that the whole notion of "resolutions" is poppycock. But for those who do take comfort in this tradition (for me it's simply a matter of focusing my thoughts before diving into a new year), what are some of your resolutions for the new year? Especially those that relate to creativity and knitting?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spinning day each week; a sewing day each week; knitting is a daily activity. Spending more time with DH. Getting an entire list of things done around the house--some big, some very small--that are bugging me. Diet and exercise improvements.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  10:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Study Korean for 500 hours.

No knitting resolutions. I don't plan on buying more than 50 balls of yarn during the year, though.

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
Go to Top of Page

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  11:01:59 AM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have gobs of yarn in my stash, but one kind in particular sits weeping in the antique yarn cabinet, where it has languished for six or seven years. It's two different colorways of ONLine Linie 137 Beach yarn, and I have enough for two tops. I MUST KNIT THEM! That's my New Year's Knitting Resolution.

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  3:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI There,

I'm working to get myself organized for the New Year. I've also posted these in the Cold Sheep Group over in Ravelry but here are my resolutions so far:

1. To stay on the Cold Sheep plan with the exceptions of the 3 (possibly 4) fiber events I plan to attend and then to only buy a reasonable amount at the events. And absolutely no LYS binges, no more craft store yarns etc.

2. To finish adding all my yarns and fibers to the stash list here in Ravelry to make it easier to choose and locate yarns for projects.

3. To knit from stash - Iíve already logged over 400lbs of yarn, if I donít have what I need I should just choose another project.

4. To spend more time designing and actually writing up the ideas I get. Iíd like to get at least 4 sweater designs and 2 shawls done this year.

5. To finish at least 2 of the UFOs that have been marinating in the project pile. Iíd like to finish Lacy Prairie Shawl and Scarf.

6. To work up a stash of hats & mittens for all the kids and start the winter socks for my kids well before the snow flies this year.

7. To spend 1 evening a week spinning (starting with the yarn Iím spinning for a St. Brigid Sweater) and to spend one evening a week sewing or scrapbooking, at least until the current WIPs are done.

Blog: http://www.afewsheepshyofafarm.com/
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  7:57:11 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about to dive into my last semester at Ivy Tech and that includes a full-time job in the baking field. The only two drawbacks are going to be: too tired to knit and too tired to work out for National Guard.

So my resolutions are to continue to knit for fun and relaxation, even if it's just dish cloths and to keep up with my fitness plan.

I figure, if I plan ahead for how tired I think I'll be, I'll have a better chance of accomplishing my goals.

Happy New Year a few days early!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom

Go to Top of Page

Maureen Hefti
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  11:39:09 PM  Show Profile Send Maureen Hefti a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting high point this year was designing three items, a blanket, a hat, and a scarf. The wee pattern for the scarf will appear in Interweave Knits Spring 2011. When it happened, I thought selling the pattern was the high point, but as time passes I feel it was the proccess of experimentation, and the satisfaction of completion that were the most rewarding part of the experience.
Go to Top of Page

bare49@hotmail.com

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  04:08:47 AM  Show Profile Send bare49@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be taking care of my new grandson this year so, I'll be knitting on his schedule. My one resolution is to knit one million mittens for charity. I've always knitted for charity on a mor or less random schedule but this time I want to organize. I hope to enlist the help of others and I have a great big stash to start me off.

Beary Godmother
Go to Top of Page

Cynthia Brumpton
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  04:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cynthia Brumpton's Homepage Send Cynthia Brumpton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am beginning the design of a new afghan based on the Tower of London. The outside of the afghan will represent the stonework and mortar of the White Tower (one of the many Towers within the overall Tower of London) and the inside will be a series of 7 windows. Six of the 7 windows will tell the story of a person imprisoned in the Tower of London and the 7th window will discuss the inter-relationship and inter-dependence of the monarchy, church and nobility.

Right now I am doing stitch swatches and researching various prisoners to determine who will be profiled.

As I am going through this process I am blogging about it on my blog, www.purl1.blogspot.com.
Go to Top of Page

bookwoolies
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  05:03:43 AM  Show Profile Send bookwoolies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to stick with a new attitude: be realistic and be rational. Can I realistically finish this in the remaining time? Do I really need to add that to my stash? I know there will be episodes of fantasy and drama, but maybe I can keep them to a minimum and just try to spin or knit a little each day. Hmm, we'll see.
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  05:22:06 AM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already started to organize my thoughts for 2011....I'm determined to make mittens for everyone for Christmas 2011 (only 13 of us), I'm also going to commit to organizing my recipes, many which need retyped, and are a mess and in several binders that have seen their day, and I want to continue my good health resolution that I wrote about last year. I'm going to get some projects put together from my stash so when my hands are empty I can just grab a project instead of flying to the nearest LYS. Most of my ordering is done online anyway. The newest resolution is to BAKE a CAKE each week from the book Cake Doctor. I'm thinking of logging this adventure on my Blog. Happy New Year to everyone at KR. I really enjoy visiting here with all of you.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  05:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing that's popped into my head - call it a resolution or a challenge - has been ..to knit all the samples in Susan Miller's Knitting Lace
http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Lace-Workshop-Patterns-Projects/dp/0942391527/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

But that would certainly take more than a year - there are 90 odd patterns in the sampler and I'd have to give up knitting anything else I think, to complete it in one year. And I don't want to turn my knitting into a Julie/Julia kind of marathon with guilt and pressure driving it. But I like the idea of lots of lace knitting for no purpose other than to learn more about lace.

Maybe - make my son a sweater. that would be a good resolution, since he's asking for one and has been for about 2 years.

As for Other Resolutions - ahhh well. They'll get my attention on January 1 after the tree comes down.

Happy New Year

Bess
http://likethequeen2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  05:36:19 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently read about having "intentions" versus "resolutions" and I liked the more relaxed state of mind of having intentions.

In that spirit my 2011 intentions are: to continue to minimize and de-clutter,to continue to knit from the stash, to finish a quilt I am sewing and always love what is on my needles!

Life is too short so we should enjoy what we are creating!
Go to Top of Page

sviter
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  06:22:26 AM  Show Profile Send sviter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if i'm to spin up and knit all the wool in my stash before i die, i'll have to take a real business approach to the task. schedule the hours, plan the outcome, and hold myself to it. what fun! how many shawls can my cedar chest hold? and how many years will it take?
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

680 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  06:28:55 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2011 will be our last year of running a private practice, and there will be lots of work closing up shop and tying up loose ends. It gives me butterflies just thinking about it. We have made up a schedule on the computer to make everything easier, but there are so many things to do. After 2011 time will be mine and then I plan to just keep knitting whatever pleases me.......socks, mittens and maybe even a bigger project. Until then I'm just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that everything will fall into place.

--kk

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkknitter/
Go to Top of Page

sandyt
Permanent Resident

USA
3101 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  07:13:19 AM  Show Profile Send sandyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
colorwork, colorwork! I am planning 2 cardis, one in Quince Chickadee-I can't wait!

I'm also going to knit some gifts for Christmas 2011--only to those who would appreciate them. I gifted my sister the Montego Bay scarf in Seasilk this year and she was thrilled. who knew?

Aside from that, the usual..lose 50 lbs, learn Italian, take a digital camera course and travel.
Go to Top of Page

NekkidSheep
New Pal

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  07:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit NekkidSheep's Homepage Send NekkidSheep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The highlight of 2010 for me was Learning How To Knit! I've made some of the best friends I've ever had, met some of the nicest people, learned, laughed, and become a part of a community I didn't even know existed at this time last year...my only regret is waiting until I was 41 to learn how!

Happy New Year to All, and Happy Knitting in 2011!
Go to Top of Page

happystasher
Chatty Knitter

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile Send happystasher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest knitting highlight for me in 2010 was actually when I wasn't knitting. Several of you know that I had surgery to my left wrist in September because I had been experiencing a lot of pain. For 6 weeks post-surgery, I was wearing a cast or a splint, so I wasn't able to knit. During that recovery time, all I wished for myself was to be able to knit without pain. Before I started experiencing pain, I had taken my abilities for granted, even pushing myself to knit for long periods of time on tiny needles, for weeks on end knitting socks. I realized during my recovery that doing this wasn't healthy for my wrist and when my ability to knit came back, I had to make some changes. My first week back at knitting began at the Knitter's Review Retreat, and I continued to knit at a healthy pace for 3 more weeks, but I was still in more pain than I wanted to be. I had another MRI and underweant another surgery on Dec 13, arthroscopic this time, so I was another 2 weeks without knitting needles in my hands. I think it's not a coincidence that my first day back at knitting -- and pain-free, at that! -- was Christmas Eve. I enjoyed all the lovely gifts I received in boxes or bags, but the most precious to me was being able to feel the yarn and needles in my hands, executing stitches.

My wrist won't be coming back at 100% and it's considered by my orthopaedist to be "pre-arthritic" and another surgery or two will be in my future, but for now, I'll respect my wrist and listen for when it's not happy and take a rest, and to change up the projects I work on throughout the week or day. I want to be able to knit for the rest of my life, so I have to take care of my natural tools. That is my main focus for knitting in 2011 and beyond. Oh, and I'm just saying "No" to sock clubs this year.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  08:45:51 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope to knit down more of the stash again this year, focusing on the sweater's worths of yarn. I have a feeling that there are a lot of sweaters in there. Last year I knit up those lonely single leftover balls of yarn and ended up with 61 hats to donate to a local charity. I don't think that I'll have anything like that happening this year but I do want to keep those extra bits of yarn used up and out of the stash.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really is inspiring to read how everyone approaches the new year. I intend to knit from stash, unless there is something really special that I want - and then I will buy it and enjoy it. I always like to try a new thing - this year it might be steeks. I am planning on my first fiber festival and getting my husband into spinning!

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping to make 2011 a year of creativity. I want to shake loose some of the things that I let hold me back. I want to feel free to experiment, play and create whatever my imagination desires.

I hope that part of that will be cleaning out supplies I don't need from various other hobbies. Keeping things that I truly want to use, and letting go of what I don't. It feels heavy and overwhelming at times. I think there's a lot of emotion in it, so I need to figure out a plan for dealing with it all.

I want to continue my progress on living more simply, and more healthfully. It's been a tough transition the last year and half to my meager income, but I think by letting go of feelings that I absolutely need to buy something to be happy, I can live on my salary, and live on it happily.

But really, I just want 2011 to be a joyful, wonderful, happy, and healthy year. :-D

sparkleplenty
Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/people/sparkleplenty
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkle-plenty/

-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.