Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 inserting short rows in ribbing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am having trouble adding short rows to 2x2 ribbing with any amount of neatness; this is for the lower "chin/mouth/nose" edge of a balaclava (as in the improved version of the military helmet liner). The object is not so much to form a pocket as in the heel of a sock, but just to add some depth there so when the lower part is pulled up over the bottom of the face, it doesn't hike up at the lower edge, exposing the neck. I have ripped back and redone this and it still looks wonky.

I have watched numerous videos showing how to wrap and turn and then how to pick up the wraps, and attempted to copy these methods. Many of them seem to show stocking stitch; is my problem because of the ribbing? You know, one time it is a knit stitch, perhaps the next row is a purl, etc. It just doesn't look as invisible as I think it should, or as shown in the videos.

Any tips out there?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm anxious to see what tips you get - I have the same question about short rows within a pattern. Haven't tried, I've just been bouncing the concept in my head.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1857 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  8:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of a couple things that Priscilla Gibson-Roberts describes in "Simple Socks, Plain and Fancy". There is the usual short-row, sock-heel technique described there (the second half is a little tricky to understand). And then there is another short-row technique she describes in the mittens section of the book. This, too, is tricky to understand (I seemed to make better headway when looking at the same technique in "Knitting in the Old Way" in the section about yoke sweaters). She needs all those words, though, to demonstrate how very simple it really is. I am finding this to be a snap now, but don't even ask me to repeat the instructions here! It will take too long. However, it's always a good idea to knit up a small swatch and give it a try. I did that, and this second method really does hide the join, with no holes.

I haven't tried the sock heel method with ribbing, so I can't tell you what will happen, but I use it all the time for sock heels. I did the second method with twisted stockinette stitch, which was kind of interesting. I wish I knew more. I'm not in a position right now to give this a try. Gotta finish my DH's Christmas present!

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  2:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have that book and got it out last night to study; however, I'm not seeing that it offers any help, since this does not involve slipped stitches. Something I don't understand is whether or not one usually picks up the wrap from the same side it was done, i.e., if wrapped from the knit side, must it be picked up also from the knit side? If I'm picking it up from the back/purl side of that knit stitch, then I'm assuming I'm supposed to work it just as if I had wrapped it on the purl side (which is what I'm doing). I wouldn't think it would matter, but perhaps it does and this is where I'm confused.

I do realize everyone is busy finishing up Christmas gifts right now and that I may not receive any answers until after the holidays. Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it help if you switched over to st st? Or even garter? Both are probably stretchy enough for covering the chin and would allow you to easily do wraps. As far as I know, you can pick up a wrap from "either side" and be okay. Good luck!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

FO 2009: small market/shower bag; gray watch cap; magic square potholder; five dish cloths, including two new patterns; Hedgerow Mitts! 2010: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1857 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  2:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned two books in my earlier post, so I don't know which one you mean. It would also help to know the construction within the pattern! BUT, if you refer to KITOW, maybe what you really want is the perpendicular join on page 62. If not, email me privately next week. Things are just too busy right now on my end!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  8:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My goodness, you did mention two; I have the Simple Socks book.

Thanks for the replies.

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heartfelt thanks to Ceil for her help (and time I'm sure she did not have to spare!) and clarification of the technique in Simple Socks (Priscilla Gibson-Roberts) for adding short rows, plus her suggestions for using this technique with my project in 2x2 rib. I am tickled to death at the improved appearance of the gift balaclava I'm currently knitting and I'll post a photo on Ravelry when it is complete. It looks so much better (read, even and invisible) than my ugly attempts with wrap-and-turn.

This technique is really quite simple (ONCE I understood what I was doing ... ha, isn't that true with everything?) and Ceil patiently straightened out my considerable confusion.

Now I feel I can probably knit anything (well, almost)!

Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1857 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Coolj
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:32:00 AM  Show Profile Send Coolj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, you've recommended those books before, and I ordered both of them. They're wonderful go-to references.

This may not be news to any of you, but someone might find it handy. www.abebooks.com is a wonderful site where hundreds (or likely thousands) of bookstores around the globe post their inventories. One can usually find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. I found a $3.85 book there for a friend, and that store offered free shipping. Many of the stores are also on Amazon but not all.
Juanita
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?