Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Does speed matter to you??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  5:16:27 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed that when I'm "in the zone" I knit significantly faster than otherwise. I've also noticed that if I try to make myself go faster when I'm not in the zone, it doesn't go so well. So, I've concluded I'm not going to worry about speed. Sometimes I'll be fast and sometimes I won't.

How does speed factor in for you?

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  6:35:56 PM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I rush my way through I am guaranteed to have (ummm--cause) trouble! Having said that, sometimes when the moon and the planets line up juuuuuuust right, I enter a zen-like state of knitting and I reach Nirvana. Unfortunately, I rarely attain Nirvana but when I do it is magnificent!
Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never rush through a project. If I do I goof or at the very least my guage will change.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  6:42:44 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't worry about it too much. Knitting is my relaxation. I started knitting as an undergraduate, and then, sure, I would set deadlines for finishing projects. Nowadays I never set a deadline to finish anything. If I'm knitting for an expected baby, I might prioritize that activity for my free time, but that's it. I try to just enjoy the act of knitting at whatever pace feels right.

I know what you mean about "in the zone," however. Sometimes the stitches just fly by! Usually this is when I've got a quiet evening, a good movie and just the right project for my mood.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  8:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on what you mean about speed. Four years ago I tripled my knitting speed. It might not be my personal fastest all the time, nor is it THE fastest out there, but I am VERY happy that knitting doesn't take forever like it used to.

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  8:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping that my knitting speed will increase now that I'm back to knitting more regularly. I'm not trying to break any records but I like it when I actually finish a project.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://knittingagain.wordpress.com
previously at http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2603 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  10:44:53 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been knitting for over 25 years, and I am still a rather slow knitter. I don't care at all - so much of my life is spent rushing and racing - work, family, errands, etc - why would I want a hobby that makes me feel like I need to rush more? I love the act of knitting and I don't care at all how long it takes me to finish something. If it's not the right season when I finish, it will be perfect sometime next year. And babies grow, so I always knit bigger sizes for the little ones.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2010 :  11:57:56 PM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ceil, how did you triple your speed? Did you learn to knit continental?

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

Panhandle Jane
Seriously Hooked

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  01:03:35 AM  Show Profile Send Panhandle Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Occasionally I get myself into a situation of having to knit to a deadline. Then it becomes a chore instead of a joy. I try to avoid that if at all possible.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  05:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speed just isn't a factor. If I rush, I make mistakes. I knit as relaxation, too - and rushing isn't relaxing!

That said, I do seem to be a fairly fast knitter - at least compared to those around me!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1461 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  05:32:22 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit for the pleasure and relaxation of the motion. If I were to knit faster it would cost more in yarn needed to keep up. If I have a deadline, it becomes work, not joy. I know when all my family & friends birthdays and holidays are, so I can get a head start. Even with a new expectact baby I usually get at least 3 months to finish a project. I base the gift on not only my love for the family but also the time I have to create the gift. A rushed gift that has become a chore cannot be knitted with the love in which it was intended.

Why rush, with whom are you racing? Do they know, do they care?
Go to Top of Page

Kade1301
Permanent Resident

France
1438 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  10:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kade1301's Homepage Send Kade1301 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My knitting goes fairly fast IF I don't make mistakes that I need to undo, IF I don't knit half the item till I decide that's it's definitely the wrong size and IF I don't hesitate forever about what, exactly, to knit (which is why the second handwarmer most of the time goes a lot faster than the first one).

Compared to those 3 big time wasters, the speed of forming a stitch is not all that important.

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  11:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I get into a good groove while knitting, and find a nice rhythm that keeps me moving along fairly quickly, that's always a pleasure. If I'm in a hurry or there's some reason I need to get a project done by a certain time, then I get cranky. I don't want to be cranky.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  11:40:58 AM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a slow knitter, and it disappoints me greatly because there are so many wonderful projects and yarns that I want to knit up RIGHT NOW! At least knitting goes faster than my other hobby - writing.

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

Cheerleader9
Permanent Resident

USA
1563 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  1:01:12 PM  Show Profile Send Cheerleader9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by socks4all

I knit for the pleasure and relaxation of the motion. If I were to knit faster it would cost more in yarn needed to keep up. If I have a deadline, it becomes work, not joy. I know when all my family & friends birthdays and holidays are, so I can get a head start. Even with a new expectact baby I usually get at least 3 months to finish a project. I base the gift on not only my love for the family but also the time I have to create the gift. A rushed gift that has become a chore cannot be knitted with the love in which it was intended.

Why rush, with whom are you racing? Do they know, do they care?

My thoughts are the same as Socks4all,especially this:"A rushed gift that has become a chore cannot be knitted with the love in which it was intended". Nicely worded Karen.

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I knit for pleasure and relaxation,so don't see the point of rushing to finish my projects.At the moment I am working on a sweater in 8ply yarn,and as it's almost summer here,I won't get to wear it until next winter,so there is no reason for me to be in a tearing hurry to finish it!

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  5:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't rush myself, but I am a fast knitter. I knit continental, and generally knit much faster than my English friends. Not trying to, just the methodology!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2010 :  8:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it's no fun to rush. But I still do care about speed. Part of the enjoyment of knitting (a big part, for me) is finishing a project.
Go to Top of Page

Consuelo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  09:56:46 AM  Show Profile Send Consuelo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's nice to see that we mostly knit for enjoyment... that's what it's all about, NOT the hokey pokey :-D

Consuelo
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  2:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Jane's choice of words - I also get very cranky if I'm knitting on a deadline and need to be rushed. I derive most pleasure from that zone moment when I'm neither casting on or binding off, but just chugging along right in the middle. My pace tends to be somewhere in the middle, which is fine. For me it's about the experience. Once I start calculating how long it'll take me to finish something, the pleasure is gone.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2010 :  6:23:39 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the time, my speed is not an issue. I'm not terribly fast, but know others who are much slower, too. Socks take me forever. That's a place I wish I could be faster. Also, very large projects - like sweaters for ME - make me realize I'd like to be faster. I've actually toyed with the idea of a knitting machine, just for those miles of stockinette on sweaters. I'd hand knit everything but the large stockinette body. Most of my UFO's are things that took so long that I lost interest.

Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.