Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Crochet - want flat, gets wavy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

mkfromKansas
Chatty Knitter

339 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  07:12:40 AM  Show Profile Send mkfromKansas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mainly knit but am striving to learn crochet. Everytime I try to crochet a flat ROUND anything, it gets wavy. I am striving for a nice flat piece of double crochet with few chain stitches tossed in. What am I doing wrong?

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  2:39:12 PM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to keep practicing, I know a pain, but when crocheting in the round it is a matter of increasing stitches to allow for the increase in size. This was a mistake I was making and it drove me nuts for a while, but then I finally figured it out. KEEP TRYING.
Go to Top of Page

Lilyadam
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  12:37:46 AM  Show Profile Send Lilyadam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,
To get a flat circle crochet piece , you should follow a pattern for this.
I will give you an example for this pattern,
first make a chain let us say 6ch
1 rud) make 12 dc
2 rud)make 2dc in each dc. (24 dc)
3rud) make 2dc in the next dc, and 1dc in the next dc. 36 dc
4rund) make 2dc in the next dc, and 1dc in next 2dc.
using this manner of increasing will prevent the wavy circle.
this method is good for small and medium circle like top of hat, but when you want to make a big circle like top of beret, there are some others methods.
Good luck
Lily
Go to Top of Page

zknit08
Chatty Knitter

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2012 :  07:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit zknit08's Homepage Send zknit08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello! I'm a little bit late on replying to this question and I agree with Lilyadam, further more, the number stitches per round will also be affected by the type of yarn and the size of the hook you are using. When there's no pattern, the only thing to do is by trial and error. Try a combination of increases such as mentioned above by Lilyadam, on a round, lay it on a flat surface if it lays flat then the stitch combination is correct. If it ruffles, that means there are too many stitches; if it curves that means there are too few. So based on the number of stitches, you tried, you can either take away or add to what you had. The number of stitches on the round has to be reconfigured and distributed evenly through the circle. Luckily it is not hard to rip-off stitches in crochet in order to do them all over again, unless one is making a big circular afghan etc.

http://time2crochet-n-craft.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?