Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Schulana Cashmere Moda
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got two words for you: Caged cashmere. And not of the cruel variety.

Here's the full review.

Has anybody else tried this one yet? And if you could only use one skein of this, what would you do with it?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

KnittingKittens
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  02:17:39 AM  Show Profile Send KnittingKittens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to the mitts pattern you designed for this yarn. If it only takes one or two skeins to make those mitts, then for me this sounds like an affordable luxury! Thanks as always for the review and inspiration!
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  05:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sort of astounded by the concept of making mitts from 100% cashmere. Will you bring the ones you made to the retreat so we can see them in person?

I generally want to use cashmere for lace, so that the knitting itself is more time-consuming and so that the finished item feels luxurious and generously sized. And also so that the finished item is less likely to be just too darn hot to wear.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara

Do you have a photo of the washed/blocked mitt next to the unwashed/unblocked mitt? So we can see the difference of before and after?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  06:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would spend that much on one skein of cashmere that won't pill instantly - and probably make a cowl. (I wonder how many skeins I'd need for those cashmere undies I've been thinking about)

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  07:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JillN

Clara

Do you have a photo of the washed/blocked mitt next to the unwashed/unblocked mitt? So we can see the difference of before and after?

Thanks!

This is one case where it just doesn't work in a photo - but here's a try. (Unwashed on left, washed on right.)

Clara
Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  07:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Clara, that link is broken - but if it doesn't show well in photos, then I guess we'll have to try it for ourselves!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4401 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fixed! Pls try again...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

One Stitch at a Time
Chatty Knitter

294 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  08:03:22 AM  Show Profile Send One Stitch at a Time a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think $20 is excessive for a pair of fingerless mitts, especially ones as warm as they will be. You couldn't buy them in a store for that price. And you have the fun of quick, easy, knitting.

But, Clara, why, why, why, are you being such a yarn temptress right now??? I have been on a yarn diet for quite awhile......and with the retreat coming up?????

I. can't. WILL. CONTROL. MYSELF.

Nanci
Go to Top of Page

JillN
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit JillN's Homepage Send JillN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep saying I"m on a yarn diet, but if yarn were food, I think I"ve gained around 50 pounds in the last couple of months.

Plus the Retreat coming up, where I HAVE to buy some of the gorgeous yarn I didn't buy last year (because i hadn't budgeted), AND Stitches East this weekend, where I HAVE to stop by Miss Babs, to support her in her time of need, it looks like I'll be gaining even MORE yarn!

Oh well, now to find a place to store it all! What a dilemma to have! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Molly Bygolly
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  10:29:27 AM  Show Profile Send Molly Bygolly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clara

And if you could only use one skein of this, what would you do with it?

By hand I would LOOSELY wind this into a ball of yarn from which I could knit from the outside & inside of the ball, TWO wrist warmers at the same time.

Since it's fancy-dancy SOFT cashmere, I think it would make a delightful non-scratchy set of wrist warmers and I'd want some elaborate aran & cable pattern to follow.... just because.

LOL

IF I really liked this yarn after knitting up wristwarmers, then I'd seriously consider getting a couple more balls to make nice SOFT warm mitten liners -- that would be sooooo luxurious!

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Molly, I was thinking wrist-warmers too. They don't get the same wear and tear that mitts do, and I love having something soft and warm on my pulse-points. Warm mitten liners or the inner few inches of a hat would be dreamy.

And Nanci is right, Clara - you are making things really difficult right now, what with all your tempting and enabling. Enabler! That's what I said!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by