Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Felting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TricotAnne
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  11:16:02 AM  Show Profile Send TricotAnne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some Lamb's Pride Worsted in my stash from at least 20 years ago! Not interested in a bulky warm itchy sweater any more, but I have read here and there that this a good yarn for felting. Thought I would try a purse or bag. My question is: Can I felt without a top loader washing machine? I have a very small front loader and I can only get cold water or hot water with it. Can I felt in a sink with warm water and lots of hand agitation? Any advice would be so appreciated. I have never felted before but this seems like a good use of my yarn and a good stash buster.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2606 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  12:14:01 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should be able to felt in a front loader if the water is hot, but I have been told that felting in a front loader can cause clogs in the drainage hose. Better be careful about that. I have no experience hand-felting, but I know people do it.

Since I'm afraid to felt in my front loader for that reason, I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Wonder-Washer/dp/B000BTDNEK

It takes a few more cycles than a "real" washing machine, but it works.

Lambs Pride is an excellent choice for felting, by the way.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2756 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  12:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you felt, put it in a pillowcase, that aids in the prevention of clogs. Another option is the laundromat.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4168 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:17:01 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We haven't had a good top loader discussion on the forums for a couple of years but if you use the search you'll find a lot of threads on this. But to summarize: the answer as you see is yes: IF you have the right kind of fiber, you can. It will take longer than in a conventional agitator machine and you might want to add some tennis balls or tennis shoes to do gain back some of that agitation (I've used old jeans and old towels as well). I also keep boiling water on the stove and add that in occasionally just to keep the water really hot.

Lambs Pride is a great felter (as long as it isn't white) but you may have to run the cycle a couple of times to get it felted the way you want. I think I've done as many as six cycles on my top loader. The biggest pain is that you often have to wait for the washer to drain if you want to check the progress and not 'over felt'. The best advice I can give you for THAT is to just run a lot of short cycles so you don't have to wait the ten minutes or so it takes to drain.

And putting it in a pillowcase (either one that zips, or pinning an open one closed) is a good idea but I've been felting in my top loader and have never had a problem with clogs.

Good luck!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TricotAnne
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  7:04:43 PM  Show Profile Send TricotAnne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm...I sure don't want to clog up the hose....that is a pita to deal with. DH throws jeans in washer with change still in pockets...instant clog! Some good ideas here. I will give this felting a try. thanks...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe