Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Wanted.. Easy Sock Pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pegs
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  6:54:51 PM  Show Profile Send Pegs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never made socks, but would like to. I'm looking for an easy pattern. Something I can do with thick yarn. I looked on the internet, but there are so many to go through and they don't look very easy!

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  03:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pegs, take a look at Clara's sock tutorial. She deconstructs a basic sock and walks you through every step. It's how I learned, along with all the help I received from folks here in the Forums. Once I "got" the heel, I was on my way!

Jane

Betty deserves a nice birthday present: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

knittingrunner
Seriously Hooked

USA
817 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  04:44:47 AM  Show Profile Send knittingrunner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pegs,
Try a basic Xmas stocking.
Big yarn, biggish needles, and just one to make!
I second Jane's recommendation for Clara's sock tutorial as another great source of information.
Socks are fun!
Evelyn

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  2:06:41 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Evelyn, that a Christmas stocking is a good way to start. You really get a magnified look at sock construction. I do think that the Yankee Knittter Classic Sock Pattern is very easy to follow and gives instructions for fingering,sport/dk, and worsted weight yarns.
judy
Go to Top of Page

Megster
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:11:07 AM  Show Profile Send Megster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that I wonder is, can't you knit socks on circular needles? To me it seems like it would be soooo much easier than with 3 double pointed needles as the link above shows. I have not yet knit socks, but am interested in venturing that road and looking for an easy way, I'm fairly new, so if you tell me 3 needles is the way to go, I'm all for it! lol
Go to Top of Page

Megster
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:12:20 AM  Show Profile Send Megster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correction... 4 double pointed needles.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use two circulars or one long circular ("Magic Loop") instead of the double pointed needles ("DPNs") if you like. I took a sock class and learned on DPNs but the first socks I made I used 2 circs and the great instructions in Cat Bordi's first book. Nowadays I use all three methods depending on what tools I have at hand and available. I once knew someone who used a tiny circular needle but the general consensus is that the super-small circulars are very tiring to the hands. Using one very long circular works great because you can use it for everything once you know how.

Here's a Magic Loop video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBSmxGomPk

And another one for two circs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8nMEEYH_0

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Megster
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  10:33:54 AM  Show Profile Send Megster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!! I will check out the videos!
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  11:07:29 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Pegs,
I suggest that you go to your library and check out one of Ann Budd's books. This one:
http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Books/Knitters-Handy-Book-Of-Patterns.html?
You would knit a swatch with the yarn and needles of your choice and pick the pattern that matches your gauge. There are step-by-step instructions for making your socks and also sweaters,hats and gloves.
I have literally worn out my copy and am thinking about buying another.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  1:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an excellent idea, Debra. I carry a little photocopy of Ann Budd's sock charts in my knitting bag, and I use it all the time.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  04:14:35 AM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second (third?)the suggestion of Ann Budd's books. You can use any yarn you want, and she'll help you succeed.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

JoanH
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  05:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoanH's Homepage Send JoanH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might I suggest my Joan's Socks. This is a free pattern many places on the web. It uses two strands together of DK yarn and I wrote it line by line for my beginner sock knitting classes. It's a house sock but you learn the basics such as turning a heel, then you can graduate to finer and finer yarns.
Go to Top of Page

gambagirl
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  05:16:45 AM  Show Profile Send gambagirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to try toe-up socks, and I used the Widdershins pattern from Knitty. Easy pattern, and now I only do toe-up.

Be sure to learn Judy's Magic Cast On and Jeny's Super-stretchy Bind Off. Those two techniques are key!

Tracy
Go to Top of Page

gambagirl
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile Send gambagirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops - forgot to mention that those two key techniques are also in Knitty.
Go to Top of Page

cablequeen
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  06:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit cablequeen's Homepage  Send cablequeen a Yahoo! Message Send cablequeen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was introduced to Ann Norling pattern #12 when I started knitting socks about 6 years ago. Ann has designed the pattern around three weights of yarn and using a very basic design which I have found both comfortable and hard wearing. Yes it is for double pointed needles but I would be happy teaching any new sock knitter with this pattern especially using the worcested weight yarn with the slightly thicker needles too.

Sally's Knitting Adventures
www.yarnblog.com
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Pegs

If you have never knit socks before you might not have heard of "second sock syndrome." It's a major bugaboo of mine so I learned, right off the bat, to knit two socks at a time. I tried two circs but found it too fiddly so I use Magic Loop. I also mostly knit for others and the "others" in this case are family members with gun boats for feet. (My darling niece is a hefty size 10 shoe!!) Not wanting to run out of yarn, I decided to find a good toe-up pattern. A good book out now is "Toe-Up! Patterns and Worksheets to Whip Your Sock Knitting Into Shape" by Chrissy Gardner. She covers a lot of cast-on methods.

There are also a couple of really good videos for toe-up cast-ons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehzpuC9mxc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBIS0AhhQY&feature=related

There are also a couple of really good videos on you-tube for short rows and bind-offs. Just go to Cat Bordhi's YouTube site. It's a wealth of information. Of course, Cat only knits with 2 circs.

I have come to rely on "Mouse's toe-up socks" but when I just tried to get to it online I found that the link has been broken. Fortunately I made a Word copy a long time ago for my own use and will be happy to send it on to you if you wish. I have made a few adjustments to the "pattern" for people like me who are not intuitive knitters. Just email me and I'll send it. Make sure you tell me which version of Word you have.

For the copyright police out there, this was always a free pattern on the internet.

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth D
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Megster asked why you can't knit socks on a circular needle. Some people do use 10-inch circulars, but they make me feel like all my fingers are broken. I suspect they work better for people with smaller hands. Check before you buy, if the shop will let you -- if the needle part is too long in relation to the cable, you'll have to fight it on every stitch.
Go to Top of Page

Megster
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  10:02:35 AM  Show Profile Send Megster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I am using circs for the first time right now and for what I am doing it is great, but I can see the challenge with fewer stitches. :)
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth D
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  10:03:40 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth D a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pegs

I have never made socks, but would like to. I'm looking for an easy pattern. Something I can do with thick yarn. I looked on the internet, but there are so many to go through and they don't look very easy!

I posted a series of lessons -- really, really painfully detailed -- on the afghans for Afghans knitalong blog last winter, when A4A had a campaign specifically for socks. I've made many, many socks out of Bartlett's Maine wool, and that's how I do it. You can find the first installment here --
http://afghansforafghansknitalong.blogspot.com/2010/01/sock-class-part-1-cast-on-and-knit-cuff.html and each installment has a link at the end to take you to the next one.

You can also buy, inexpensively, a copy of the pattern I learned to knit socks from over at Patternfish. It's Candide's Ragg Socks pattern, and the heel and toe instructions are great.
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of things: I had put off socks because I'd had a problem with laddering when I used DPNs on things like sleeves and hats. (That's when the yarn at the point where you move from one needle to the next is a little looser. After several rounds, it looks like a little ladder.) My knitting shop encouraged me to try bamboo needles, which grasp the yarn more securely, and that has eliminated the problem, along with a little practice.

The other thing I really suggest, particularly with socks, which are probably the most intimidating thing most of us knit, is that the knitter call what they're doing "a project to learn how to knit socks". Instead of saying, "I'm knitting a sock", which calls for a proper finished product, this gives us mental permission to rip back, make mistakes, that sort of thing, without feeling guilty at a potentially lumpy and off-kilter piece of knitting. A project to learn how to knit socks is just a learning situation.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  11:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

This past summer I learned the Magic Loop technique at my LYS, The Tangled Web, from Diana Jordan who is the designer of the Momogus Patterns. She is fabulous & so are her patterns.
www.momogusknits.com
www.tangledwebb.com

Martha
http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000